E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > So, I changed my transmission fluid today

09-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
mreloc
Private
Rep
Drives: E93, past: E90, E46, E36, E30

So, I changed my transmission fluid today

And I couldn't believe how contaminated it appeared- and this was at the 1700 mile mark. I'm trying to follow the old school maintenance schedule, so I aimed to change it (328i 6MT) at 1200 miles- but it took me a couple of weeks to get the fluid (manned up and bought the MTF LT3 BMW stuff from Bavauto).

Easy diy, but the 1700 mile old fluid came out somewhat cloudy with what I suspect is the result of break in metals- kind of a grey look to it. The new fluid of course is a nice clear amber.

My ever so slightly finnicky entry in to third gear seems better. We'll see. Couldn't hurt, I guess.

I chickened out of doing the rear diff. I have the red line 75W 90, but it looks like a pain getting the old fluid out... maybe next weekend...
Appreciate 0