E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > UUC DSSR - Anyone know the real scoop?

09-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

UUC DSSR - Anyone know the real scoop?

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
I ordered a short shifter & DSSR back in May from UUC and the DSSR has been on backorder ever since. I've called them several times and every single time they tell me it'll be a week to 10 days but it just never happens. Anyone know the real scoop on this or try to order a DSSR from them lately?

ECS - you guys carry their stuff now - do you know what's going on? Or can you at least talk with them and get a definitive answer for us?

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I have had several orders in the past sit on backorder for weeks (and even sometimes months) at a time and then never ship. My best advice is to call and ask for Rob (the owner) and he will be able to give you a straight answer. He has always had a good explanation as to what is going on.

They make very good quality products at reasonable prices. That is the only reason I've put up with their inventory issues in the past.
      09-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

don't know what's going on with them lately. just installed my UUC EVO3 today and they left out the small thing of lube. made me have to freaking stop mid install and go get some from the autoshop. my buddy who ordered his a few weeks ago - had to get like 3 different spacers before they finally said "bad batch" and sent him a good one...
      09-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post
I have had several orders in the past sit on backorder for weeks (and even sometimes months) at a time and then never ship. My best advice is to call and ask for Rob (the owner) and he will be able to give you a straight answer. He has always had a good explanation as to what is going on.

They make very good quality products at reasonable prices. That is the only reason I've put up with their inventory issues in the past.
Thanks fisherbln and the others for your insight. I know Rob's a good guy and has a good reputation and UUC's products are impressive and clearly high quality, but I have to say, this situation has been exceptionally frustrating for me. I've called him almost weekly for the past 8 or 9 weeks (maybe even more) and every single week he's been telling me "a week to 10 days" but it's just not been happening. It's been almost 4 months now since I ordered this part and I just don't understand why I can't get a straight answer - actually, I don't understand why Rob can't get a straight answer from his manufacturer. I can understand a few weeks but 4 months is just an unacceptable amount of time to not get a completion date for a relatively simple piece of machined metal.

Rob has been very cordial on the phone but he is clearly also getting frustrated with me calling him to ask if he has any new info every week as he tells me there's no need to call - I'll get an email when the part is available. But after this much of a delay I really don't think it's unreasonable to want to know what's going on. I just don't understand why he can't simply pick up the phone, call his manufacturer and say "hey, my customers have been waiting for months - what is the problem, when will it be resolved, and when will the part be available?"

I received the short shifter itself very quickly but I really don't want to install it until I have the DSSR as I don't want to go through the entire installation (which is just about what would be required) twice.

So in this case, Rob is not giving me a straight answer nor a good explanation of what's going on, even after several conversations with him. I was hoping someone here on the forum had a bit more insight into the real story as I'm one very frustrated UUC customer right about now...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Thanks fisherbln and the others for your insight. I know Rob's a good guy and has a good reputation and UUC's products are impressive and clearly high quality, but I have to say, this situation has been exceptionally frustrating for me. I've called him almost weekly for the past 8 or 9 weeks (maybe even more) and every single week he's been telling me "a week to 10 days" but it's just not been happening. It's been almost 4 months now since I ordered this part and I just don't understand why I can't get a straight answer - actually, I don't understand why Rob can't get a straight answer from his manufacturer. I can understand a few weeks but 4 months is just an unacceptable amount of time to not get a completion date for a relatively simple piece of machined metal.

Rob has been very cordial on the phone but he is clearly also getting frustrated with me calling him to ask if he has any new info every week as he tells me there's no need to call - I'll get an email when the part is available. But after this much of a delay I really don't think it's unreasonable to want to know what's going on. I just don't understand why he can't simply pick up the phone, call his manufacturer and say "hey, my customers have been waiting for months - what is the problem, when will it be resolved, and when will the part be available?"

I received the short shifter itself very quickly but I really don't want to install it until I have the DSSR as I don't want to go through the entire installation (which is just about what would be required) twice.

So in this case, Rob is not giving me a straight answer nor a good explanation of what's going on, even after several conversations with him. I was hoping someone here on the forum had a bit more insight into the real story as I'm one very frustrated UUC customer right about now...
Sounds about right for them. I'm sure that Rob has some story of how their manufacturer can't get it done. He likely is telling the truth. What gets me is that they have this problem with multiple products several times a year. You would think they would learn how to avoid the issue rather than have it happen over and over, upsetting customers and losing sales every time.

FYI, I installed their SSK only (no DSSR) and it only took me about 1.5 hours on jack stands. I was taking my time too. My understanding is that the DSSR is the hardest part of the install so you really aren't going to be redoing much work if you were to install them at different times. If you are DIY installing, you won't save much time but if you are paying for install, it might save you money to combine the two. Personally, I suggest DIY installing the SSK now and telling them where they can put their DSSR. I'm very happy with the feel without it.
      09-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
cali_guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 MW M4 DCT

Just get a refund on the DSSR. I dont see any real advantage on that part. I bought the entire kit with DSSR and parted it out. My car shifts fine with just the SSK and UUC7knob.
Appreciate 0