Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Snow tires or wheels with tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
elijaww
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335 '07

Snow tires or wheels with tires

I would like to own a set of winter tires but not sure if I need to buy a wheel/tire combo or just the tires. How much tear and wear does it take to swap a tire on an 18" aluminum rim? cost to re-balance it? Can this be trusted to any gas station type places? I can't decide which route is better and more cost effective. The gas station i am thinking about is right outside of the storage unit, so i can literally "bring" the tires or the wheel/tire combo to them. The winter season for me is 2 months perhaps and i drive low miles, if that makes any difference.

If I am to go with wheel/tire combo, do i need TPMS on the second set of rims? Will the computer get confused or need recalibrating in any way?

my vehicle information:
'07 335i
Front: 18x40x225 runflat
Back: 18x35x255 runflat
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Since you have a MY2007 - are your valve stems rubber or metal?

If they are rubber, you don't have TPMS and don't need to worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
elijaww
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335 '07

rubber - great. One worry less
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Bpinsm
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Most good service stations can swap the tires easily and with no damage. Last time i had it done it cost me $15.00 including the balancing per wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
hmmcolor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Let me know if you find a set of tires that'll fit your staggered 18s. I'm in the same situation and haven't seen any winter tires out there. Just summer and all season.
      09-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

There are lots of sizes available for winter tires... but a 1/2 inch width does not mean you cannot run the same tires on all corners?

To minimize the difference from front to back, I'm planning on running 235/40 on all corners. It is a popular Audi size, so lots of used sets for sale.
      09-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Personally, I would get a dedicated set of winter wheels with winter tires on them.

I have a set of wheels with summers that I'm riding on now and I use my stock 159 style wheels with OEM all season RFT , for the winter. I CAN'T wait for my all-seasons to wear so I can mount some regular, non-BS, non-RFT, on my stock wheels.

Did I mention I hate RFTs?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Get a wheel & tire set. Even at $15 per wheel (which is on the cheap side) for mount/balance that's $60 per swap, $120 per calendar year. With a two month winter season, you'll easily get four seasons out if the tires if you don't drive like an crazy person. So four years in your at $480. That'll buy wheels right there. Not to mentioned years and years of using those wheels after that (or sell them and get a good chunk of that cash back)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
Get a wheel & tire set. Even at $15 per wheel (which is on the cheap side) for mount/balance that's $60 per swap, $120 per calendar year. With a two month winter season, you'll easily get four seasons out if the tires if you don't drive like an crazy person. So four years in your at $480. That'll buy wheels right there. Not to mentioned years and years of using those wheels after that (or sell them and get a good chunk of that cash back)
+1

Winter
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...nter/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbelman View Post
I would like to own a set of winter tires but not sure if I need to buy a wheel/tire combo or just the tires. How much tear and wear does it take to swap a tire on an 18" aluminum rim? cost to re-balance it? Can this be trusted to any gas station type places? I can't decide which route is better and more cost effective. The gas station i am thinking about is right outside of the storage unit, so i can literally "bring" the tires or the wheel/tire combo to them. The winter season for me is 2 months perhaps and i drive low miles, if that makes any difference.

If I am to go with wheel/tire combo, do i need TPMS on the second set of rims? Will the computer get confused or need recalibrating in any way?

my vehicle information:
'07 335i
Front: 18x40x225 runflat
Back: 18x35x255 runflat
Here is what I think, the short answer to your question would be "Get a winter set of wheels and tires for your car" and I will tell you why.

I always have a set of winter wheels/tires. First of all it is more economical unless you only plan to keep your car a year or two then by all means use the same rims. However, make sure you go to BMW and let them handle your tire change out.

Your OEM wheels are properly in the neighborhood of $600- to $700- each, balanced and ready to go (including all taxes). If you let some Joe Blow change your tires from your wheels two times a year there is a very high possibility that damage may be inflicted to your wheel and you end up replacing it. If you have the work done at BMW and if they screw up they will be responsible. The cost of changing tires two times a year, including balancing and mounting will properly run you in excess of $300-/year.

On the other hand, if you find yourself a set of used wheels (there are sets out there all you need is to look) or even a repro set. In the long run you will be ahead of the game and have piece of mind that no one will screw up your nice and delicate OEM alloy wheels.

Case in point, on a US road trip this summer I had the misfortune of having a flat on my RFT also it turned out that my wheel was cracked and this was the cause of the flat. Well I was lucky on one hand that I found this BMW dealer in a medium town in Idaho, however, unlucky, that this BMW dealer had a very limited amount of equipment and once the new wheel arrived directed me to Joe Blow's tire shop to change out the wheel.

Well the tire shop changed the wheel alright however damaged the wheel in the process of removing the tire in two places. See the pictures (3 and 4 in my garage).

Pictures of gauge markings made during tire removal

Well making a long story short, I had to take the wheel back to Canada to claim warranty, BMW in my home town found the wheel to be bend, I am wondering why it would be bend? So no warranty replacement for that wheel.

So when you think about all that it sure makes sense to have that second set of wheels and you might benefit in the long run when you sell your car. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0