E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Widebands

09-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
mbj898
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Widebands

Soo, the primary O2 sensors in our cars appear to be wideband sensors, which i believe i have confirmed from a search in other threads. The first question then is, is my information correct.

If it is correct is there an easy way to tap into the probes already in the car and connect them to a wideband display instead of having to buy new probes with a new kit?

The reason i ask is, while running nitrous a 75 shot isnt too likely to do any real damage as long as the AFR is pretty close which has been verified with data logging. However when you approach 100-125 shot range which is about the max i would run with stock internals i feel the need to have some more safe-guards. This would also keep the price down for many people and help with the TURBO idea as wide-bands would be one less thing to buy.

Any info you got is good. Tried searching all though no good results figured a thread my be good to get some info!

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
belixxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: euro 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbj898 View Post
Soo, the primary O2 sensors in our cars appear to be wideband sensors, which i believe i have confirmed from a search in other threads. The first question then is, is my information correct.

If it is correct is there an easy way to tap into the probes already in the car and connect them to a wideband display instead of having to buy new probes with a new kit?

The reason i ask is, while running nitrous a 75 shot isnt too likely to do any real damage as long as the AFR is pretty close which has been verified with data logging. However when you approach 100-125 shot range which is about the max i would run with stock internals i feel the need to have some more safe-guards. This would also keep the price down for many people and help with the TURBO idea as wide-bands would be one less thing to buy.

Any info you got is good. Tried searching all though no good results figured a thread my be good to get some info!
Hi mate,

Yes they're widebands. However the OEM lambda fuel control is too slow to rely on for nitrous injection, as it is not designed for that. The only safety measurement you could use it for is to use the signal line through a circuit having a voltage comparator preset to a treshold. Meaning if the AFR drops below a certain amount (due to fuel pump faliure, clogged fuel jet, etc) it would shut down the nitrous.

I would also test fuel pressure, when first trying the 125bhp shot, to make sure if the oem fuel pump is up to the job (I think it should be, but better safe than sorry).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
mbj898
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah. I wasn't planning on using the onboard fuel control to adjust for the nitrous. I was just hoping to the the wires and use them to drive a gage in the cabin. The hope was to avoid adding two separate bungs and buying 2 more probes for no reason.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
mbj898
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

By the way belixxx, where have you gained all this N52 knowledge?

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
belixxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: euro 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbj898 View Post
By the way belixxx, where have you gained all this N52 knowledge?
The knowledge ain't n52 specific, I know myself around ECUs, forced induction, nitrous injection in general AND own a car with an n52

What you want can be done, however I don't know what voltage you have to look for. In the old ages with narrowband sensors it used to be 0-1Volts, than 0-3Volts. I will try to find out what our widebands have as output based on their partnumbers...
Appreciate 0