E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Gripe About comfort access

09-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
jmar0351
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Gripe About comfort access

So I'm waiting for my car to get on the boat, but now I'm wondering if I should have optioned the comfort access as well. The monthly payments were really climbing up there with all my other options so I figured I could live without it, and I'm sure I will be fine.

So my buddy gets a new hundai coupe the other day. Only ~27k. He has the Hundai equivalent of CA. My car is ~55k. Anyone else see a problem with this?

BMW needs to step up their game and start offering some of their damn options for free when a &%@&^% Hundai thats less than half the MSRP has it....
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Hyundai's competitive advantage is loading all their calls with nearly every option standard and then pricing it affordably.

If you think BMW is bad, check out a Porsche.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

It comes down to whether you want a car that drives amazing well and has the option to have a bunch of tech or you want a car that drives ok but comes standard with a bunch of tech. I have no interest in CA and I'd rather have the option to pay for it or not. Let's be clear you are still paying for it in the Hyundai it's just baked in to the sales price.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Not another one of these threads...

Long story short - we pay a premium for BMWs because we prefer the way they drive. They allocate more resources to chassis development and engineering than Hyundai, which should be readily apparent in driving the two back to back. If you can't tell the difference between the two, you can get more options standard on many other cars, and you should go buy those. I'd gladly forgo Comfort Access to drive the car I drive - if all you care about is standard equipment and options, BMW is not the car for you. Thankfully, the auto market seems to be performing relatively efficiently, as there seems to be something for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
rickwjenn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Coupe

Garage List
I would offer this perspective.

I just bought a new Hyundai Tucson and a new Honda Accord Coupe for my two daughters.

Both are clearly "value cars". While the Hyundai bristles with technology, it clearly is very bread and butter design. Look at the stamped parts, seat belt fasteners, underhood components, etcs. Great car for the money, but no BMW - not even close.

The Honda is less glitzy and far more refined from an engineering point of view but pretty basic. Typical honda - right down the middle without any risk or sizzle.

I just got an 2011 BMW Coupe and is is miles apart from Hyundai (even the Genesis coupe). The driving refinement, fit and finish, etc. are worth every dollar to me.
      09-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
jmar0351
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Jesus Christ I didn't want a bunch of "our bmw drives well" responses....
I know that, thats why I have a 2011 335i on order... I just think its silly that a 55k car doesn't have it. I like that people can disagree with me!!
BUT when bmw owners fall back on the "it drives well" excuse for everything you just doing a disservice to yourself and future owners.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar0351 View Post
I just think its silly that a 55k car doesn't have it.
You bought the wrong car for you, when you get it trade it in for a Hyundai
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
jmar0351
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
You bought the wrong car for you, when you get it trade it in for a Hyundai
Thanks dad!

*edit*
I really do get what you guys are saying... My current car is a 08 tl s type... had all the options I could ask for but it just isn't that fun to drive.
I'm just a little shocked at how brainwashed you guys are. Once i'm in my car for a few weeks I'll prob have to come on and post an apology, but until then....
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Jesus Christ I didn't want a bunch of "our bmw drives well" responses....
I know that, thats why I have a 2011 335i on order... I just think its silly that a 55k car doesn't have it. I like that people can disagree with me!!
BUT when bmw owners fall back on the "it drives well" excuse for everything you just doing a disservice to yourself and future owners.
Well, I must admit that I agree with you...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
If you're already spending $55k, what's another $500?

The way I look at it is if I'm already spending thousands and an option I want is $500, why wouldn't I get it? When you buy something like a car and your second guessing an option, get it. Because you'll regret not getting it later.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm serious, and actually it's not stupid that a 55k BMW doesn't have it, because there are obviously people out there (like you) who will pay 55k for a BMW without CA. The first response was completely accurate - Hyundai's don't drive as well so they need to gain competitive advantage in other ways - by offering great value for money ie great warranty, lots of gadgets, for minimal cost. BMWs have a competitive advantage over Hyundai from a driving perspective, and most of us are paying for just that, not for a bunch of gadgets. If you don't like it, I welcome you to explore the many other options the market has to offer.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
rickwjenn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Why the "Jesus Christ...."? You bitch about a few hundred dollar option compared to a Korean value manufacturer after buying a BMW????

So lets make you feel better:

Turbo charged engine
Superior Transmission
Better Interior Materials
Superior Driver layout of instruments, controls, etc
Far better tuned chassis
Better Nav System (i have used the Hyundai, Honda, and BMW)
You know we could keep going here.....

Now about packaging:

The Hyundai base car is pretty basic - you have to add packages to get the CA
Honda is simpler but you still have only three choices - LX, EX, EX W/Nav

BMW let's you pick from a myriad of options - works for some, but maybe not you.

Oh yeah, let's get back to the prime mission here - driving. BMW is superior hands down.

Maybe you need to cancel your order and get a Hyundai - sounds like a few hundred dollar option is giving you buyers remorse.
      09-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
jmar0351
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
If you're already spending $55k, what's another $500?

The way I look at it is if I'm already spending thousands and an option I want is $500, why wouldn't I get it? When you buy something like a car and your second guessing an option, get it. Because you'll regret not getting it later.
I don't ever put my other keys along with my cars key because I don't like the dangling.
I didn't think I wanted it until my friend just got into the car and just started it up. At the dealer when I was ordering it I figured I would save the 10 or so bucks a month since it didn't impress me. *shrug*
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
hmmcolor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Would you have been more comfortable if the Hyundai was $26.5k with a $500 CA option? Because if I was buying a Hyundai I would be pissed I couldn't take it off and save money.
      09-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Why is it silly? If you want it, check the box and get it. Should everyone be forced to pay an extra $500 for CA even if they don't want it?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm just a little shocked at how brainwashed you guys are. Once i'm in my car for a few weeks I'll prob have to come on and post an apology, but until then....
Not sure how we are all brainwashed for preferring the way a car drives to the number of options it has, just because there are people who value different aspects of a cars performance differently than you yourself may, does not imply anything further about their "state of mind" and to indicate that it does says a lot more about yours
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I'm serious, and actually it's not stupid that a 55k BMW doesn't have it, because there are obviously people out there (like you) who will pay 55k for a BMW without CA. The first response was completely accurate - Hyundai's don't drive as well so they need to gain competitive advantage in other ways - by offering great value for money ie great warranty, lots of gadgets, for minimal cost. BMWs have a competitive advantage over Hyundai from a driving perspective, and most of us are paying for just that, not for a bunch of gadgets. If you don't like it, I welcome you to explore the many other options the market has to offer.
+1
You gotta pay a premium price to have goodies on a premium brand. I fully support this marketing initiative.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
jmar0351
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Squire View Post
No, I don't have a problem with it. You can't buy even the most basic 3 series model for $55K USD where I come from... Do you still think you have it bad?
I would assume that on average you have access to much better beer than I do, so i don't have as much remorse for you.

To everyone else, I know the car is superior in every way.
I guess I worded it very poorly. I'm more upset that my car is already being built and now I can't add it. I saw CA as just another option that I didn't really need, now I saw it and liked it. I do like all the options the car has, I just wish ca was standard so I wouldn't have had the option to leave it out in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I saw CA as just another option that I didn't really need, now I saw it and liked it. I do like all the options the car has, I just wish ca was standard so I wouldn't have had the option to leave it out in the first place.
Ok so...

Quote:
I need to step up my game and start doing my own damn research before finalizing my order instead of projecting my own shortcomings as a consumer onto the brand itself
FTFY
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
rickwjenn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't ever put my other keys along with my cars key because I don't like the dangling.
I didn't think I wanted it until my friend just got into the car and just started it up. At the dealer when I was ordering it I figured I would save the 10 or so bucks a month since it didn't impress me. *shrug*
This is the heart of the problem - you are trying to fit a $55k car into your monthly budget - if you were optimizing on $10 per month, you are buying way too much car IMO

Last edited by rickwjenn; 09-22-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Squire View Post
No, I don't have a problem with it. You can't buy even the most basic 3 series model for $55K USD where I come from... Do you still think you have it bad?
+1 on that .

Which high vehicle tax juristiction do you come from?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #22
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwjenn View Post
The is the heart of the problem - you are trying to fit a $55k car into your monthly budget - if you were optimizing on $10 per month, you are buying way too much car IMO