E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > noooooooooooo angela :( rear ended

09-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

noooooooooooo angela :( rear ended

my first accident.... i was rear ended at a red light... by an olld guy in a piece of cr*p

if u are looking at my car from the back, the right exhaust tip is bend lower then the other now and its not perfectly round (its a bmw performance exhaust) the tow hook thing cover cannot be put back on and there are minor scratches to the bumper...

can i make him buy me a new exhaust (the tip cannot be replaced alone its one piece) because the circle of the tip is now bent and the exhaust itself is bent lower? the body work is straight forward so no questions there

worst day ever fml
Upgrades: <Cobb V3, DCI, BMS downpipes, ER charge pipe, Forge DV, bbs ch-r, 30%tint all around, bmw performance exhaust, umnitza V4 angel eyes>.....Next upgrades (I would like):intercooler, BBK, turbo upgrade....etc....
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
slim_e90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM E-88

replace or repair to original spec is usually the protocol. are you going through insurance? if so, his adjuster would come up with the report, and you can ofcourse counter it with your own adjuster in case they say it's a $50.00 chissel and hammer job at the corner midas.

p.s. i am from toronto, where did it happen on Hwy #7?

|move over... please|
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham335i View Post
my first accident.... i was rear ended at a red light... by an olld guy in a piece of cr*p

if u are looking at my car from the back, the right exhaust tip is bend lower then the other now and its not perfectly round (its a bmw performance exhaust) the tow hook thing cover cannot be put back on and there are minor scratches to the bumper...

can i make him buy me a new exhaust (the tip cannot be replaced alone its one piece) because the circle of the tip is now bent and the exhaust itself is bent lower? the body work is straight forward so no questions there

worst day ever fml
It is not the worst day ever. Nobody got hurt and it sounds like minor damage.

Take it to a trusted bodyshop (ask in your local forums) and have them assess the damage.

The other driver's insurance has the obligation to repair your car using OE parts to bring it back to the condition it was in prior to the accident. They should also pay for a rental car while your car is being repaired.

Remember two things

You pay nothing
Your car should be returned to you in the condition it was in before the accident.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Go through his insurance. He is responsible for the repairs, and I would ensure it is a new exhaust, and bumper (maybe msport).
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_e90 View Post
replace or repair to original spec is usually the protocol. are you going through insurance? if so, his adjuster would come up with the report, and you can ofcourse counter it with your own adjuster in case they say it's a $50.00 chissel and hammer job at the corner midas.

The appraiser's estimate is immaterial. Take it, and your car, to your favorite bodyshop and they'll take care of fighting it out with the insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

I had something similar happen in the past. Although I didn't have a performance exhaust I do believe that if the installation and parts were purchased through a BMW Dealership, the person at fault is responsible for covering all costs. When I had damage to one of the exhausts and my bumper, I took it to the dealership and they replaced everything brand new. The person at faults insurance company covered the rental and all repair charges.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you're alright! Hope everything works out well!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

Call YOUR insurance company if anyone gives you any crap at all, in fact I would call them first anyway. The "other" reason they are there is to protect your interest in an accident like this.
Let them deal with the other insurance company but be sure it goes to a dealer for new P.E. I paid over 1500 for mine and wouldnt want to settle for a stock replacement or a new tip.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep

good point about the car rental! thx for ur help guys... and huh i can get a different bumper? thought it had to be the same one haha
Upgrades: <Cobb V3, DCI, BMS downpipes, ER charge pipe, Forge DV, bbs ch-r, 30%tint all around, bmw performance exhaust, umnitza V4 angel eyes>.....Next upgrades (I would like):intercooler, BBK, turbo upgrade....etc....
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep

but I'd still call my insurance co first as well as above.

lol I guess old farts do know something -- haha j/k but it reminds me of that Kathy Bates in some comedy where the chick takes her parking space and the chick gets out and says "too bad,I'm younger and faster" so Kathy Bates Hauls ass right into her car and smashes it then looks at the chick and say "I'm older, and have more insurance"!

At least no one was hurt! - GL and hope you get an mtec rear out of it!

Last edited by scrufy; 09-30-2010 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_e90 View Post

this happend near unionville high school 1 light north of 7.... why am i happy that i get a new exhaust and bumper lol... turned out to be not as bad thx guys
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrufy View Post
+1
but I'd still call my insurance co first as well as above.

lol I guess old farts do know something -- haha j/k but it reminds me of that Kathy Bates in some comedy where the chick takes her parking space and the chick gets out and says "too bad,I'm younger and faster" so Kathy Bates Hauls ass right into her car and smashes it then looks at the chick and say "I'm older, and have more insurance"!

At least no one was hurt! - GL and hope you get an mtec rear out of it!

how do i manage to get a differnt bumper hahah
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Call YOUR insurance company if anyone gives you any crap at all, in fact I would call them first anyway. The "other" reason they are there is to protect your interest in an accident like this.
Let them deal with the other insurance company but be sure it goes to a dealer for new P.E. I paid over 1500 for mine and wouldnt want to settle for a stock replacement or a new tip.
That is bad advice. The insurance company's interest is for them to save money. You will have to pay your deductible that you'll get back if/when the other insurance company pays.

If the other company refuses to pay, then the accident will become a claim against your collision - increasing your premiums and removing any good driver discounts.

Contact your insurance only if the other insurance company is giving you grief and you have some sort of proof (police report, other driver statement, letter from insurance accepting liability etc)

Your insurance is not on your side. Their loyalties lie in assuring that their costs are low and they don't care about your finances.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep

No, actually your giving bad advise.

And... Heres a quote from the Canadian Insurance Site--

In Quebec and Ontario your insurer compensates you for the loss of use of automobile and the share of the damage caused to your vehicle when another driver is legally at fault. You thus deal with your own insurer and not the other party’s insurance carrier. This is called direct compensation.

Hes in Canada...

Last edited by scrufy; 09-23-2010 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
No, actually your giving bad advise.

And... Heres a quote from the Canadian Insurance Site--

In Quebec and Ontario your insurer compensates you for the loss of use of automobile and the share of the damage caused to your vehicle when another driver is legally at fault. You thus deal with your own insurer and not the other party’s insurance carrier. This is called direct compensation.

Hes in Canada...
I guess that's what happens when you assume that CA laws are similar to the US.

My advice does hold true for the US - but apparently not for Canada.

Thanks for the correction.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
I guess that's what happens when you assume that CA laws are similar to the US.

My advice does hold true for the US - but apparently not for Canada.

Thanks for the correction.
No worries... I just have a brother that lives in Canada and I was schooled on a bunch of their stuff...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Damn, everyone's getting rear ended (pun intended) around here. This is like the third thread on the first page of General.

Really sorry to hear man. I hope insurance will take care of everything for you, in one form or another.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
That is bad advice. The insurance company's interest is for them to save money. You will have to pay your deductible that you'll get back if/when the other insurance company pays.

If the other company refuses to pay, then the accident will become a claim against your collision - increasing your premiums and removing any good driver discounts.

Contact your insurance only if the other insurance company is giving you grief and you have some sort of proof (police report, other driver statement, letter from insurance accepting liability etc)

Your insurance is not on your side. Their loyalties lie in assuring that their costs are low and they don't care about your finances.
I agree with this from my experience with Balboa! I believe they are the shittiest insurance company and I happened to dealt with the shittiest adjuster in that shitty company!
      09-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

In Canada, your assurance pay for any case. If the other driver was in fault, his assurance will refund your assurance and you normally don't need to pay the deductible.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #19
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
I feel your pain. My car got rear-ended in February by some kids street racing. FML
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #20
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep

little update:

got the quote for damages... $1820.02

replacing the performance exhaust (passenger side) and fixing up the damage to the bumper

plus 32$ a day in rental fees for however long it takes to fix...

just glad i dont have to pay anything lol
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

did you file a police report and called your insurance ?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #22
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep

no and no but i have pictures and what not to prove he hit me.. i spoke with him today and he said he will pay it and is scared for me to call my insurance company so im sure everything will go smoothly
Appreciate 0