E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Anybody have a custom stereo system...

09-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
ierrahh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6

Anybody have a custom stereo system...

I haven't noticed anybody talking about customizing there sound system...I'm curious if anybody has made plates so you can integrate the face plate into instrument panel. Anybody have pics of anything... I'm getting my E90 inmarch when my lease is over...can't wait :mad:
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2005, 02:22 AM   #2
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I did a custom stereo install on my E90. New HU (with Nav), different speakers, different amps, different porcessor. In fact none of the original stereo components are left.

you can find pictures here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2894

The frame is by BMW. It part of the (europe only) radio-navigation retrofit pack.

Please note, that my car is euro spec. So despite beeing a 330 I could order it with a very basic radio and speaker setup wich made retrofitting other parts a lot easier. With the US spec hifi-system (on a 325) or the Logic 7 (on a 330), things get really complicated. For example you cannot combine any component of the Logic 7 with an aftermarket headunit. If you want to swap the hu you also loose the complete Logic 7 processor and amps because they´re fed and controlled by a digital Bus that aftemarket units cannot provide.

Even with my simple setup retrofitting was quite difficult. For example many connections you´ll need (such as a constant 12volts line for the headunit) are not prewired. There isn´t even an ignition lead in the power supply plug for the hu. The factory radio gets ignition signal through the CAN-Bus.

Retrofitting aftermarket stereo components in the E90 is really not for the faint at heart.
      09-13-2005, 03:03 AM   #3
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
i think that the bmw professional is an excellent radio system which works really good
      09-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
ierrahh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinet78
i think that the bmw professional is an excellent radio system which works really good
Probably but I never stay with the stock radio ...aftermarket stereos are 10x better than anything you'll get stock
      09-16-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
RedwoodCityE46
RWC CUSTOM E46
Rep
Drives: 03 e46 325i

i would suggest installing a JL Audio Cleansweep. The headunit and speakers are fine the way they are. Just use the cleansweep to send a pure un equalized signal to the amplifier of your subwoofers with 8v.

2003 325i 5-Speed Sport and Lux Package, Clears all-around,35% Tint, 12"Ported Sub
Appreciate 0