Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Help...1st time switching to winter wheels/tires...

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

Help...1st time switching to winter wheels/tires...

Is there anything I need to do to get the car to recognize the TPMS in the winter setup? Or can I just switch them out and go?

thanks,

Previous = '08 535xi Sedan
Previous = '11 335is Cabrio
Current = '12 Audi A6
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

You need to reset the TPMS via your i-Drive after installing the new wheels. Very simple. You driuve around a bit and it should activate in about 5 minutes.
      10-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

For those of us without iDrive, just reset the TPMS (with the engine running) using the toggle on the turn indicator until you see the TPMS "Reset" appear on the instrument cluster display. Then depress the reset button for 5+ seconds before driving off. The detailed procedure is in the owner's manual somewhere...
      10-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
You need to reset the TPMS via your i-Drive after installing the new wheels. Very simple. You driuve around a bit and it should activate in about 5 minutes.
Thanks.

Previous = '08 535xi Sedan
Previous = '11 335is Cabrio
Current = '12 Audi A6
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Some word of CAUTION

1) If you change your summer tires to winter tires using the same WHEELS you best let a BMW dealer handle the work. Your wheels are very expensive and a ordinary tire shop may damage your expensive wheel if they don't use care and the right equipment.

2) The preferred method of course is to have a winter wheel/tire set and just change out wheels. This eliminates concerns about wheel damage and tire wear (stretch). You save yourself the cost of spring and fall mounting, balancing. Of course your set needs also be equipped with TPMS unless you drive 4 months or so with the TPMS light eliminated.

My 2 cents ... and as far as wheel damage is concerned I speak from experience. In the US a BMW dealer referred me to a tire shop to change a cracked rear wheel out for a new wheel. The BMW Dealer did not have the manpower or equipment to do the work. The tire shop damaged my wheel (see my garage) then the Canadian BMW dealer did not reimburse me the money I paid in the US for the new wheel under warranty. So be on guard.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0