BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-28-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E90 325, E70 X5 3.0

RFT on new M3?

Will the next M3 sport RFTs? There's a max wheel size for RFT, right? Something like 20''?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 BMW X5 4.8i

No, it will not. BMW M GmbH refuses to use Run Flat Tyres. They increase the unsprung mass of a car, and that's a bad thing, no matter how much you try to fix it with the suspension. RTF tyres in all normal vehicles are the only stupid idea from BMW that I've seen implemented in the last 15 years. They pioneered the technology, of course, with the Z3 having them as far back as 1998 already, and they have been getting a lot better because of it, but still they're not as good as non-runflats and can spoil an otherwise excellent BMW, in my opinion, and the M department agrees. M5/M6 do not come with RFTs, neither do Z4 M Roadster or Coupé.

Maximum RTFs at this time are 20" I believe, so it could be doable, but they just don't want the unsprung mass added to spoil the handling, which is very wise.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Contrary to what most people and including you say, I prefer the RFT because of the safety it provides me. Not so much on the safety of tire burst but more on safety from criminals spreading nails on the road and make you stop and rob you. I hope BMW will provide the option of having RFT on M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meruyailir View Post
Contrary to what most people and including you say, I prefer the RFT because of the safety it provides me. Not so much on the safety of tire burst but more on safety from criminals spreading nails on the road and make you stop and rob you. I hope BMW will provide the option of having RFT on M3.
Is this something that is a real fear for Indonesians who drive high priced cars? What a downer that is, to be lucky enough to drive a nice car there but then have to worry about your safety because of it.

I bet most people never consider the merits of RFT in terms of whether it will allow you to get away from criminals
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

If I had to name 101 options I'd like to see on the new M3 I don't even think that RFT's are something that would come to mind
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Is this something that is a real fear for Indonesians who drive high priced cars? What a downer that is, to be lucky enough to drive a nice car there but then have to worry about your safety because of it.

I bet most people never consider the merits of RFT in terms of whether it will allow you to get away from criminals
Not necessarily happening to nice cars only. I used to drive an everyone's car and got nailed a few times, in which I just kept on driving the car until I found a safe place to stop, and in the process damaging the wheel. They worked in a team of 2-4 people, riding on motorbikes and doing it when you stop at a traffic light. They get really close to your car to do it.

A lot of people have drivers here and so it might be a different situation for them. I don't. What's the point of getting a BMW (except for 7er perhaps) and let someone else drive for you?

Another common practice for safety is to have really dark tinted windows so that prying eyes cannot see you and inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

Wow, Indonesia = Compton stauts. But no there won't be RTF's on the new M3, if anything it may be an option. There probably won't even be a spare tire, on the ZCP, just like the e46. All it has was a little pump and the glue to repair, and get help. Gotta love that commitment to weight savings.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, the RFT thing began in the US where people didn't want to start changing tyres at the wrong place (I believe Billy Cosby's kid was killled this way), and in certain spots in central Europe as well, and Eastern europe especially, you wouldn't want to stop. But Non-RFTs is what you get with M cars. If you want RTFs, get a regular BMW. In safe countries such as most of Europe and Finland where I live, RFTs are completely useless and increase the unsprung mass of the vehicle, which is very, very bad for handling.

There have never been spares on modern M cars either. You'll just get the tire repair kit that is supposed to allow you to limp long enough to change your tire. But in reality, you'll call road service to have a new tire delivered to you or have you towed to a BMW center to have the tire changed. In Germany BMW's service will just bring you the new tire and change it on spot - nice.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
schuyler
Rep
n/a
Drives:

It's a good thing that BMW won't force RFT's on M3 owners. Just give us the tire patch system like the E46 owners got
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #10
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just wish they wouldn't force RFTs on any models. I know for a fact that they have been losing sales to other brands because customers hate the feel of RFT tyres on some of the models (E90 3-series mostly.) - I was horrified on my first test drive of the first 330i E90 back when it came out as a new model. The RFTs spoiled the whole car. Thank God they have fitted it with better standard RFTs since, but it was a true shocker back when it was a new model. I thought to myself that I'd have to stick with the E46 forever.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

So it's not gonna fitted RFTs. Is it then as easy as changing the wheels and tires to RFTs without needing to change the suspension, etc.?

Jussi, I got a regular BMW already. I want an M3. Perhaps it's worth risking safety and all...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 01:09 AM   #12
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Lol, im sorry and i know its a shame to laugh a. But, I can't get over this saftey issue. Its not worth throwing the balance of your M3 with it. IT WILL BE A BIG DIFFERENCE!! Tires are the most important thing when it comes to your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 08:40 AM   #13
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Meruyailir, no it's not as simple as fitting RFTs as the vehicle is not designed for RFTs and doesn't have tire pressure control (TPC) or the indicators that are required for RFTs, as do none of the other M BMW's, and that's why you can't fit RFTs, because you wouldn't know when they go flat or start losing just the tiniest bit of pressure, and that could be very dangerous. Another thing is, the suspension is not designed for the additional unsprung mass of RFT tyres.

If you already have a BMW, then I'd say just take the risk. Just carry a firearm in your M3 if you can, are you allowed to carry firearms in your country? I recommend the Glock 20C with 15+2 clips and a mix of Hydrashock + powerful penetrator ammunition for self defense. Or the FN Five-Seven if you can get it, with the SS109 ball ammo - it'll penetrate over 30 layers of Kevlar at 200 yards. Oops. Off topic.

Anyway, the M3 won't come with RFTs and can't have RFTs.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 08:43 AM   #14
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK42 View Post
Meruyailir, no it's not as simple as fitting RFTs as the vehicle is not designed for RFTs and doesn't have tire pressure control (TPC) or the indicators that are required for RFTs, as M BMW's do not have, then you can't fit RFTs, cause you wouldn't know when they go flat.

If you already have a BMW, then I'd say just take the risk. Just carry a firearm in your M3 if you can, are you allowed to carry firearms in your country? I recommend the Glock 20C with 15+2 clips and a mix of Hydrashock + powerful penetrator ammunition for self defense. Or the FN Five-Seven if you can get it, with the SS109 ball ammo - it'll penetrate over 30 layers of Kevlar at 200 yards. Oops. Off topic.

Anyway, the M3 won't come with RFTs and can't have RFTs.

Best regards,

Jussi

It`s not only about BMW you know a lot off....................................

Regards,

Romo
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #15
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just another one of my hobbies... Sorry about the off-topic. But anyway, no RFTs for the M3 - period! Sorry

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #16
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Doesn`t matter too me, do not appologise. Ik like persons with a broader mind, BMW is one thing ( verry important off course) but there is lot more out there.....................................
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 09:22 AM   #17
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Jussi, possession of firearms is illegal here.

I may just take the risks. For an M3, it's worth it Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 09:23 AM   #18
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Meruyailir:

Typical. So that means all the criminals have firearms and law-abiding citizens do not, right?

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #19
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK42 View Post
Meruyailir:

Typical. So that means all the criminals have firearms and law-abiding citizens do not, right?

Best regards,

Jussi
Well more or less. But these people on the road they don't really carry firearms. Knifes and axes mostly. Still, confronted with 3-4 people carrying such weapons, unless I'm a mutant, I won't want to mess with them.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #20
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Get a taser, mace, a night stick, learn how to use them by taking Krav Maga lessons, for example, whatever you have to do. Your personal safety should always be your number #1 priority. I've made my own mine, and it has paid off.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #21
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Don't carry a weapon illegally in your vehicle please...my brother's good buddy bought a gun from a friend, (here in the US) and got pulled over for speeding. The police asked if it was okay to search the vehicle (some routine BS they told him), and lo and behold they found his gun. He served 1.2 years in jail for it. He got out for good behavior, he was such a nice guy, never did anything bad, but buy a gun off some friend. Now he has a felony on his record, and can never have a decent job/career.

Think twice. Just carry a baseball bat, or a nice pipe with a handle.

-Pete.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 12:05 PM   #22
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

See, this is very country-specific. You're right about that in the US. And I would never tell anybody to do anything criminal, so that's why adviced him to try legal means, if they are legal, such as a taser, mace and/or nightstick with the right training are very efficient.

Only carry a gun if you have a carry license, that should be clear to anybody.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0