E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Tire installer recommendation (Denver, Springs, Pueb)

10-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Tire installer recommendation (Denver, Springs, Pueb)

Hi Folks,
Just had a set of Conti Extreme Contact AS "mounted and balanced" by a Tire Rack recommended place in Pueblo. These were on factory 18" 189's that were already pretty curbed up. So I was not really that worried as these will be my winter set up. Lo and behold they managed to mess them up even more, scratching them pretty badly. Just a bunch of retards. I had the tires drop shipped to them and they had a 5 star Tire Rack rating.

What they then did was leave them very dirty (which was annoying) so I couldn't quite tell when I looked closely, but I knew something was up when the two stooges doing the work had to call the manager back to help them on the first wheel, and they all stood around for a few minutes looking at the rim on the stand. It was obvious they were in over their heads. Live and learn I guess. Anyway stay away frm Big O tires in Pueblo. I thought maybe since they had the track nearby they'd be more competent. At least they used proper jack/lift points to get the car off the ground. I am going to retorque all the lugs this AM just in case, I saw them air gunning them back on. Arrgghh.

Anybody has a recommendation for a tire shop along the front range that understands how to mount 18" and larger tires without messing them up I'd appreciate it. I live up in the mountains, Pueblo is the closest front range town, and I really don't trust anyone local. All they do are big pickup truck and Jeeps.

Love the Conti's BTW, ditched the RFT's as one had a very small bubble, difference in feel is amazing. Plus I had no winter tires and we got snow up high last night so it was time to switch.

edit: One that has an alignment machine and knows how to use it would be good also, thanks.

Last edited by ajsalida; 10-09-2010 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
On the recommendation (to try) Coy's of Denver (http://coysdenver.com/) by forum member Bimmer This, I brought my left front 189 to change out a corded Potenza RFT (to be replaced by one bought used from yet another forum member in Chicago) just so I can get a few more days at HPR with the other 3 mostly toast tires! (D@mn addiction.) Coy's works with big (even 24"+) wheels all the time, and when I saw "Tony S" start working the RFT off, I knew I came to the right place. He replaced it "real quick like" in seriously, 7 minutes or so. Balanced it and charged me $10. Best thing about it, not one single scratch on the wheel, not even on the inside "barrel". Their machine clamps the wheel by the outside.
      10-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Nice, that's exactly what I like to hear. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
I realize that's pretty far from you. Good luck.

>Their machine clamps the wheel by the outside.

Clarification: Their machine clamps outside edge of rim on inboard (towards engine/passenger compartment) side of wheel.