E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Parts Progression for GIAC Stage 1 to Stage 2 Question

10-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
vetofunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Parts Progression for GIAC Stage 1 to Stage 2 Question

Hey Guys,

I did numerous searches and couldn't find the answer for this more specific question. I have a Stage 1 GIAC tune and am looking to eventually get the Stage 2 tune next Spring...due to the cost of all the parts required.

- Dual cone intake
- Upgraded front mounted intercooler
- Downpipes (high flow catted downpipes are acceptable)
- Cat back exhaust system (with secondary cats removed or replaced with high flow cats)

I am going to try to purchase one of these every 2 months or so. My question is what is the best way to go? I would like to see some performance increases as I go along. Is there a best way to proceed mod by mod? Basically which one would you do 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th...?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Intercooler first, which eliminates the possibility of heat soaking. Next you could just throw in an intake, followed by downpipes and then exhaust. Just my $.02. If you don't have anything suspension wise I would do that first. Happy Modding.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
In order:
FMIC - definitely first, will keep temps fairly consistent
DP - stock DP are highly restrictive, you will probably see most gains with catless DP
exhaust - completely free up the restrictions by going completely catless or high flow catted or resonated midpipes
DCI/CAI - you will probably see the least gains from this mod, so do this one last right before you go to stage 2

I had stage 1 for about a year, gradually added mods and finally got stage 2 a couple of weeks ago - I would recommend you look at upgrading your diverter valves and charge pipe as well. you should also invest in a boost gauge

good luck!

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
vetofunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

This has been really helpful. One more question. Is there any issues putting the downpipes on the stock exhaust and then getting new exhaust a couple months later...or is it better to get these two at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

I'm in the same situation...I have decided that my current drop-in filter is better than a DCI so I will keep it, next up is an intercooler and after this - the catless downpipes. I have the BMW Performance Exhaust but I think that I will let the stock secondary cats in place first, and replace them with 200-cell cats some time after getting the GIAC tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm in the same situation as well, although i don't drive my car in the winter, so i'm just gonna save my money and buy all the parts at once this spring :-) Can't wait for Stg 2.

If i had to do it in progression, i agree with the above posts.

1. Intercooler
2. Dp's
3. Exhaust
4. Intake

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetofunk View Post
This has been really helpful. One more question. Is there any issues putting the downpipes on the stock exhaust and then getting new exhaust a couple months later...or is it better to get these two at the same time?
no issues - I put my downpipes in first with the stock exhaust, upgraded the exhaust later with stock midpipes, and then upgraded the midpipes last.

i just got my mapswitcher and for fun I was switching between the stock map and stage 2 - what a difference! with the stock map I was hitting max boost around 8.5 PSI and stage 2 max was 16+ PSI. Really makes you appreciate the power when you can switch maps on the fly and feel the difference

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0