E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > service intervals!

10-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep
Drives: 07 328i, #358 metrobus

service intervals!

hi new guy here again! i've got questions about the service interval.... i got the car a month ago and I'm a little confused about the service interval.
Does the car AUTOMATICALLY alert me when a service(any service) is due? because i was scrolling down the indicator display and i always see them like 24000miles(and date) or 27000miles(and date) and it seems like they aren't changing at all. Should they be decreasing slowly like by the mileage perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by watabaotnao View Post
hi new guy here again! i've got questions about the service interval.... i got the car a month ago and I'm a little confused about the service interval.
Does the car AUTOMATICALLY alert me when a service(any service) is due? because i was scrolling down the indicator display and i always see them like 24000miles(and date) or 27000miles(and date) and it seems like they aren't changing at all. Should they be decreasing slowly like by the mileage perhaps?
Not to worry! IIRC, they decrease by intervals of 1,000 miles.

And not only will the car notify you when service is due, it will most likely notify your dealer as well.
Tom

Last edited by Tom K.; 10-17-2010 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by watabaotnao View Post
Your first service will be in about 15000-17000 miles and roughly the same intervals thereafter. The exact mileage depends on your driving style and other variables.

And yes, the car will count down - faster as you get closer to the service.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
my first major service is around 25k
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep
Drives: 07 328i, #358 metrobus

AH i see! never thought the mileage left decrease every 1000miles. ha ThankS!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
piezo
unstratified
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Welcome!

The computer (aka Condition Based Service) counts down to the next interval based on the "free" maintenance schedule adopted in the US. The conventional wisdom is that if you plan on keeping it past warranty, or certainly past 100k mi., you may want to do a Web search on "Mike Miller Roundel Maintenance"
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The CBS alerts you to the following service intervals:

Engine Oil service (oil and filter change) - based on operating conditions.

Brake Fluid change - based on a two-year time interval.

Brake Pad replacement - There are two notifications: 1. The CBS ESTIMATES the wear of brake pads for the front and rear brakes and provides estimated mileage remaining on the pads and an estimated time when they will need to be replaced. 2. There is a pad wear sensor on the left front wheel (inner pad) and right rear wheel (inner pad) that actually, physically, indicates when the pads need replacement. A separate indicator on the dash will illuminate and stay lit until the pads are replaced and a new sensor installed. The only issue with this system is the light does not indicated which set of brakes needs new pads, so if both the front and rear pads are near the same wear point, it may take an inspection of all the brakes to determine which set needs replacement, or perhaps both do.

Cabin Air filter replacement - This is a time and mileage interval based replacement.

When your car needs one of the CBS services, it will notify you by a "ding" and symbol in the gauge cluster upon startup and shutdown of the engine.

Exhaust Emmissions Inspection - This is a long interval inspection and is not set to your locality's yearly emmissions inspection (it is a maintenance inspection to see how well the emmissions systems is working).

State Vehicle Safety Inspection - This is for those States that have yearly safety inspections. You can set the date to remind you to have your car inspected by the State.

Spark Plug Replacement - Every 100,000 miles.

30,000 Mile Inspection - This is the famous "Yellow Car on Lift" symbol. It comes up every 30,000 miles and is just a general inspection of the car. If you keep on top of the operating conditions of your car, you can just reset the indicator and not take the car in to BMW for inspection. If you do take it in, the dealer will look over the car, check for tire wear, rust, ripped CV boot covers, loose wheel bearings, etc. and check for fault codes in the various control modules throughout the car.

Other service intervals, such as transmission oil service, rear differential oil service, and engine coolant changes are not indicated by the CBS. Those intervals are considered "lifetime", which in BMW-speak is 100,000 miles.

The engine air fiter service interval is every third oil change (BMW oil service schedule of 15,000 - 17,000 miles), which means about every 50,000 miles.

Also, any other vehicle condition is provided by a warning symbol in the gauge cluster for example, low coolant level, low engine oil level, low washer fluid level, burned out light bulbs, etc. These conditions can be accessed by the "Vehicle Check" mode in the gauge cluster, which you use the turnsignal stalk to access the menu for this function.

Last edited by ENINTY; 10-23-2010 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i koop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The CBS alerts you to the following service intervals:

Engine Oil service (oil and filter change) - based on operating conditions.

Brake Fluid change - based on a two-year time interval.

Brake Pad replacement - There are two notifications: 1. The CBS ESTIMATES the wear of brake pads for the front and rear brakes and provides estimated mileage remaining on the pads and an estimated time when they will need to be replaced. 2. There is a pad wear sensor on the left front wheel (inner pad) and right rear wheel (inner pad) that actually, physically, indicates when the pads need replacement. A separate indicator on the dash will illuminate and stay lit until the pads are replaced and a new sensor installed. The only issue with this system is the light does not indicated which set of brakes needs new pads, so if both the front and rear pads are near the same wear point, it may take an inspection of all the brakes to determine which set needs replacement, or perhaps both do.

Cabin Air filter replacement - This is a time and mileage interval based replacement.

When your car needs one of the CBS services, it will notify you by a "ding" and symbol in the gauge cluster upon startup and shutdown of the engine.

Exhaust Emmissions Inspection - This is a long interval inspection and is not set to your locality's yearly emmissions inspection (it is a maintenance inspection to see how well the emmissions systems is working).

State Vehicle Safety Inspection - This is for those States that have yearly safety inspections. You can set the date to remind you to have your car inspected by the State.

Spark Plug Replacement - Every 100,000 miles.

30,000 Mile Inspection - This is the famous "Yellow Car on Lift" symbol. It comes up every 30,000 miles and is just a general inspection of the car. If you keep on top of the operating conditions of your car, you can just reset the indicator and not take the car in to BMW for inspection. If you do take it in, the dealer will look over the car, check for tire wear, rust, ripped CV boot covers, loose wheel bearings, etc. and check for fault codes in the various control modules throughout the car.

Other service intervals, such as transmission oil service, rear differential oil service, and engine coolant changes are not indicated by the CBS. Those intervals are considered "lifetime", which in BMW-speak is 100,000 miles.

The engine air fiter service interval is every third oil change (BMW oil service schedule of 15,000 - 17,000 miles), which means about every 50,000 miles.

Also, any other vehicle condition is provided by a warning symbol in the gauge cluster for example, low coolant level, low engine oil level, low washer fluid level, burned out light bulbs, etc. These conditions can be accessed by the "Vehicle Check" mode in the gauge cluster, which you use the turnsignal stalk to access the menu for this function.
Thank you for the GREAT reply. This answered many of my questions!

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0