E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > big warranty items-wastegates,cam bearing ledges,injectors

10-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

big warranty items-wastegates,cam bearing ledges,injectors

none of these have been replaced on my car (not even the HPFP) but the warrant expires next May ( Feb 07 build date, May 07 purchase date) and I've got questions:

wastegates- got the rattle, latest software. Dealer has said they used to replace them but the rattle comes back eventually so they don't replace anymore unless I raise cane. did they change the design or has anyone had rattle return after having them replaced?

cam bearing ledges- car has 35.5k and dealer said this is about the time they fail and they WILL eventually fail. they said if it does so out of warranty I should have a good case to get them fixed free due to bullitin about it. anyone have them fixed free out of warranty?

injectors- I have the first redesign. but there is a second.. Anyone with my build date have theirs replaced yet?

thanks!

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I have a sept 1 2006 build date & 45k. None of these problems. Had wastegate rattle fixed 2.5 years ago, not a peep since. If injectors and cam ledges are an issue then I will consider the warranty extension to 7/70k more seriously. Anyone know if those are covered under the basic powertrain plan?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I have a sept 1 2006 build date & 45k. None of these problems. Had wastegate rattle fixed 2.5 years ago, not a peep since. If injectors and cam ledges are an issue then I will consider the warranty extension to 7/70k more seriously. Anyone know if those are covered under the basic powertrain plan?
Can you tell me what they did to fix the wastegate rattle? was it a new part? there would have to be a redesign or a change somewhere I would think.
thanks!

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
ABerry
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 | n54

my coupe is in the shop now for wastegate... I went in said i have this awful sound when rpms drop and clutch is disengaged, they sat in the car for a test drive, before I even got out of the lot they told me to turn around and schedule an appt (sound was very obvious), I dropped it at the dealer on 10/13, get a call at the end of 10/13 saying software didn't fix it, 10/14 they say they are going to check the wastegates, 10/15 they say they will have to replace the wastegates and it is a "lengthy process" well its 10/18 and I don't expect to get this thing back until Friday 10/22.. until then I get to beat up a 328 xdrive

if they told you they won't replace it unless you complain you need to find a new dealer, they sound shady as hell
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

They replace the wastegate actuator rods (the new part is thicker). It is a bitch of a job. Sometimes they replace the whole turbo(s).
Appreciate 0