E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 12543 - Code

10-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
onegoodreason2001
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i - Montego/Black

12543 - Code

Newbie post here - I got a half engine light and code 12543 (Exhaust Fume - Low Pressure Side Turbo) after hiting a lip in the road that that was being resurfaced while at 25-30 mph and in a non-boost situation. I'm stock except for the Procede. Is this a matter of something coming loose that can be fixed by me or a serious, remove-the-Procede & take to dealer ASAP situation. The bump on these low profie tires was jarring. The light came on immediately after when I got back on the throttle (slightly).

Any advice for a newbie?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

How does the car drive now? Does it feel down on power? It could be a loose coupling on either side of the intercooler.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=17&fg=05
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
onegoodreason2001
United_States
Rep

No Boost

The car runs, but the code is staying in the Procede (won't reset & is cutting the boost -2.5) so I'm getting no boost (good thing I imagine - thx Procede).

The Half Engine Light is a constant annoyance as well is my lost power. I'm out of town now, I want to know if there's a specific connection that I should be looking for to reconnect or if she ought to be brought to the dealer (minus Procede).

I'm not blamming the Procede - it seems to be working like a charm and I miss my POWER that it provided.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

You most likely have a big boost leak then. Have a look at other posts for code 30FF (hex equivalent) and see what people suggest.

Personally I would recommend that you have a look at all the pipe work to/from the intercooler + the charge pipe (where the diverter valves pop out of) and see if anything is loose. When I had this issue the hose coupling from the low pressure side to the intercooler had come off and the car would go into limp mode as soon as I squezed the throttle. Fix is very simple, but it requires the under tray to come off.

Have a look at the pics in this post to see the hose coupling. This has most likely come off on yours. It just needs to be popped back in again and make sure the clip is in it's locked position.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373990
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
onegoodreason2001
United_States
Rep

335rocks - thx dude. I thought my request for advice was falling on deaf ears. Unless you post I smoked an AMG, Vantange..... or my tune is better than your tune post - you don't seem to get much help from the community as a newb.

I'll pull the tray and look to see where she pulled a hose. It had to be that jarring bump I hit not knowing that it would be as severe as it turned out to be.

I had put the tune on about a month ago and changed the plugs recently, so I was worried I messed something up. Man, these cars are sensitive, but at least they react quickly and don't blow themselves up when something goes haywire. I hit the bump and then just got back on the throttle and "Ding" (half engine light).

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Good advice here. And I agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
usu335i
Keep it clean
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Good luck with your problem. I'm kind of new as here as well. I notice you're in Utah. Where at exactly?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
onegoodreason2001
United_States
Rep

usu335i - I'm in Draper.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
onegoodreason2001
United_States
Rep

Still need help

Guys,

There was no obvious disconnect at the intercooler, but I unclipped both sides and slide them back in and I'm still getting the hal engine light. Pls Help.

It's not overly noisy (like air is getting out of the system) and I'm getting no turbo whine, cause I don't think they're even engaging.

Next steps? Remove the Procede and she how she runs? What other connecstion should I be looking at there's not a lot of room in there.

Help!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoodreason2001 View Post
Guys,

There was no obvious disconnect at the intercooler, but I unclipped both sides and slide them back in and I'm still getting the hal engine light. Pls Help.

It's not overly noisy (like air is getting out of the system) and I'm getting no turbo whine, cause I don't think they're even engaging.

Next steps? Remove the Procede and she how she runs? What other connecstion should I be looking at there's not a lot of room in there.

Help!
If the underboost code only started triggering after you hit a big bump on tue street, it's almost certainly a boost leak. It may not be obvious though. Even if a intercooler pipe just slipped a little bit and isn't seated in the silcon coupler properly, you'd get a leak without it looking obvious.

No problem with removing the Procede as the next step. The only possible point of confusion is if the leak doesn't occur until higher boost and running stock 5-8psi works fine. But theres a better chance of the leak still being there in which case you'll know for sure and will need to inspect the piping again.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
onegoodreason2001
United_States
Rep

Shiv,

I talked to Robert. I"ve left it in Valet mode since the event, so it's even happening at stock boost levels around 2500 RPM.

I'm removing the Procede and taking it to a dealer for someone whose better with wrenches to track down. They replaced these turbos on this car (I bought it used 5,000miles ago) less than 10,000 miles ago.

I don't fell air coming out of any of the connections and re-did the intercooler connections, so I give up.

Thx anyways.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoodreason2001 View Post
Shiv,

I talked to Robert. I"ve left it in Valet mode since the event, so it's even happening at stock boost levels around 2500 RPM.

I'm removing the Procede and taking it to a dealer for someone whose better with wrenches to track down. They replaced these turbos on this car (I bought it used 5,000miles ago) less than 10,000 miles ago.

I don't fell air coming out of any of the connections and re-did the intercooler connections, so I give up.

Thx anyways.
You wont feel air coming out of any of the connections unless your car is driving under boost. So that is probably why you didn't see anything. I'm sure your dealership will figure it out. Sounds like they just forgot to tighten a hose clamp and the road hazard knocked it loose.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
onegoodreason2001
United_States
Rep

Update - Procede is out. Head out for a drive, 2500 RPM, "Ding!" - Half Engine Light.

I have seperation anxiety already. I miss my Proceded 335i. It just wasn't them same without the boost, and it's disheartening that as soon as you get in the throttle that damn half engine light comes on.

It's like the day after your girlfriend dumps you at the prom (not that's really happened or anything - really).
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
onegoodreason2001
United_States
Rep

Guys - it turned out to be a bad end of a vaccum hose. Snip, attach, and voila.

Dealer got it in a lunch on Friday, but it took several calls to get an update. At lease I got it back before the weekend.

I'm glad she's back in the boost. Thx for the folks that helped out trying to help me diagnose the problem. Turns out that I didn't have the tools nor skill to figure this problem out. It is a bummer that such s small problem can hobble the car.
Appreciate 0