E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > GIAC Stage 2 Race Review

10-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
GIAC Stage 2 Race Review

Product: GIAC Stage 2 (& Race) ECU Tune
Price: $1000.00 (Stage 2 Race is $200 more), handheld switcher ($150)

Since I purchased my 335i back in January, I was eagerly searching for a way to extract more power out of the turbos through a tune. The first tune that I heard was from BMS, which the guys at Camrillo BMw recommended. I knew that I wanted to search around for the perfect option before I commited to a modification of this magnitude. I had heard from other e90 members that the Vishnu PROcede was a viable option, and did some research on their product. It was when I decided to visit HP Autowerks that I found out about GIAC. GIAC hs been tuning other turbocharged cars for a substantial amount of time and have a very good track record (although every company has their quarks). After thinking long and hard about it, I decided to install the GIAC stage 1 in my nearly stock (muffler delete and intake) 335i. I decided that it would make more sense to run a flash than a piggy. All of the cup cars (such as HP, Evolution Racewerks, and Berk) were running GIAC, so I figured they knew what they were doing.

Long story short, I was very excited to install the GIAC stage 2 when it came out. HP's car was running very strong numbers (428whp and 435ish torque) witht the race tune. My modifications are as follows:

GIAC Stage 2 Race Tune
Match Schnell Catless Downpipes
Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe w/ TIAL BOV
Evolution Racewerks Competition Intercooler
Custom Borla Race Exhaust (2 racing cats and custom 2.5 midpiping)
aFe Stage 1 intake
Snow Meth Kit (yet to be installed, running MS109)

Unfortunately, after I had received the tune, mother nature decided to dump a crap load of water in Santa Barbara, so I have not had the opportunity to get on the throttle. It cleared up for a bit today so I took it out for a good hour; just me and the road.

My first impressions were pure I have never been in a car that pulls so hard. I have been in PROcede cars and BMW cars and nothing pulls like the GIAC. I know that it is a "seat" review, so take it for what it's worth. When hitting WOT from a 35mph roll in 2nd, even with my track setup, the end buckles out with the massive amount of torque being put to the ground (some M3 guide rods will help ). 3rd gear is probably my favorite with this tune. The car pulls from 60-90 faster than my stage 1 did 40-60, which is saying something. I know I do not have exact dyno numbers, but the torque is quite amazing. It never ceases to pull.

Before I received the Stage 2 I was running stock downpipes and a muffler delete. The car seemed to struggle through the gears. It would pull hard but that free and smooth rev was not apparent. It's like blowing through a straw as hard as you can; it doesn't matter how hard you blow, because the air isn't going anywhere. Now, the car has completely unrestricted flow and the power is apparent. I have yet to do some pulls, but I would like to go against some heigher running BMS or PROcede cars on the track.

I will be dyno'ing the car fairly soon and am expecting some pretty good numbers. I am completely satisfied with the tune and the car is a complete animal. It has just as much, if not more, HP than an F430 and nearly twice the torque. The car never ceases to bring a smile to my face, and for that, the GIAC tune was worth every penny!

So, if you are thinking of getting a tune for your N54 engine, just try the GIAC 30 day money back guarentee. You can't go wrong and you have sooooo much to gain!!!

Big thanks for HP Autowerks for always doing an excellent job on my car. Hope the review was helpful and I will get dyno numbers up ASAP!!!

~Mike

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

awesome review.

i would like to see some dyno #s.

i like the GIAC set up, but i think that the Procede is the best tune available. although the convenience of the GIAC is nice - not touching the ECU box - but considering I am under warranty - i believe physically removing something is easier than having to go somewhere and pay for a reflash (us east coasters are not as lucky to have shops give unlimited reflashes)

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Nice review now get us some dyno numbers include a baseline please some drag strip numbers would be nice too...i'm really glad to hear the m3 rear guide rods plant the car to the ground on acceleration...i just ordered a pair today so we'll see how that goes once its installed...glad the tune is working out for you...

what's GIAC planning to do for meth flow safety, anything? what happens when you're on the meth/race map and meth flow stops (runs out, pump dies, line clogs, etc)...

what are their plans for upgraded turbos?

can GIAC raise idle RPM?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Dyno please!
      10-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Nice review now get us some dyno numbers include a baseline please some drag strip numbers would be nice too...i'm really glad to hear the m3 rear guide rods plant the car to the ground on acceleration...i just ordered a pair today so we'll see how that goes once its installed...glad the tune is working out for you...

what's GIAC planning to do for meth flow safety, anything? what happens when you're on the meth/race map and meth flow stops (runs out, pump dies, line clogs, etc)...

can GIAC raise idle RPM?
You should probably direct that question to Austin at GIAC, email him and get an explanation, or have him post the info here on the forum.

I know they are working on some stuff with the Stage 2 and Meth..but the details haven't been out in the wild as far as I know.

I don't want to run meth personally...
      10-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Great review - sounds like you're really enjoying the tune. I have the stage 1 GIAC tune right now and just love it. I still need to get a few more bolt-ons before I can step up to stage 2 but to be honest, I'm not even sure I will get the stage 2. I have the CP-E intercooler/oil cooler combo, AE catless exhaust, and a drop-in air filter and I have to say I'm just about satisfied with the power the car has as it is. That said, I am planning on getting a set of DPs and an intake but given how close to being completely satisfied with the power right now, I'm guessing the DPs and intake will put me exactly where I want to be power-wise, and I think I feel a bit better knowing that I'm not maxing out the boost - i.e. a relatively "safe" tune. So, given that, how much of a difference are you noticing between stage 1 and stage 2? Given how strong stage 1 is, I'm just thinking that I'll very rarely get to use all that power and it just may end up being more frustrating than fun. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how much of a noticeable difference the DPs and intake make and then I'll decide. I really couldn't care less about the power numbers, I just care how the car feels - smooth and powerful is just fine with me - don't care if it's 400hp or 300hp as long as it behaves like I want it to behave.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Nice review, I too am interested in hearing about GIACs integrated meth plans,
      10-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
awesome review.

i like the GIAC set up, but i think that the Procede is the best tune available. although the convenience of the GIAC is nice - not touching the ECU box - but considering I am under warranty - i believe physically removing something is easier than having to go somewhere and pay for a reflash (us east coasters are not as lucky to have shops give unlimited reflashes)
What is it about the procede that makes you feel it's the best? Is it the adjustability? Besides power & reliability, what's the most important aspect of a tune to you? Mine is overall driveability and smoothness. To me the ideal tune is a tune that you don't notice - i.e. a car that feels like it came that powerful from the factory and that's exactly what I feel the GIAC tune provides. I'm not saying the procede or other piggies don't feel like factory, but the GIAC tune absolutely does. I also like the fact that there's no hardware to see or futz with. Oh, and BTW - I really don't think you need to remove the GIAC tune for dealer visits unless you're going in for something really major like a broken turbo or something. I've been to the dealer for regular service, 2 HPFPs, new injectors, new plugs, etc. without removing the tune and they never said a word about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
welcome to the GIAC S2 club! glad to hear you are loving the upgrade

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

How much boost on s2 vs race?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
awesome review.

I apologize that I did not mention the handheld switcher. The switcher allows you to go back and forth from stock (with bolt ons) to S2 to S2 race. I don't believe it is untracable, but if you are running stage 2 race, you are already fucked with the dealership so why worry about just the tune getting caught? lol.

Quote:

can GIAC raise idle RPM?
I would love to see some drag times, but to be honest, I am really shitty at drag racing; i'm more of a track driver. I would be willing to let a good friend drag it if they are good enough. I really do not know the process, but I believe there is a safety mechanism that limits boost or something. I would ask Austin.

Later on down the line I will probably do a turbo upgrade, but getting tire spin in 3rd gear at 60 is enough power for me, haha.

I have not noticed the rpm idle go up at all to be honest. I have the 3.46 LSD, so the cruising speed is different, but nothing to be said of the tune changing that either. Sorry, lol.

Quote:
I am not sure, but I believe there are some dyno numbers from Austin when he released the stage 2; it's in the first several pages of this section on the forum.

I plan on dyno'ing the car in a couple weeks. Sadly, I did not do a baseline dyno, but I can throw in 3 different runs: stock mode (with bolt ons), stage 2, and stage 2 race.

I also apologize that I am not highly coordinated with all the nuts and bolts with AFI and timing. I just go by what I feel, haha. Thought this might tantalize some people into at least TRYING the GIAC. You really have nothing to loose. I don't think the procede and bms have a money-back guarantee, but that is just a quick speculation, nothing wrong with the tunes. My advice is to try all of them and see what is best. I just went with GIAC because of their reputation and HP Autowerk's advice, lol.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

Congrats on the upgrade!..loving my GIAC S1 with map switcher ( stock/pump ).
Mine was also installed by HP Autowerks in Santa Barbara..very knowledgeable and awsome customer service..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #13
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
Quote:
I have seen 16.7 PSI peak on S2 pump map and 8.9 PSI peak on stock map - I don't have race map so I cannot comment there

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 03:19 AM   #14
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
I read they are working on something, but however the S2 Race map has a 93-octane timing "sub-map" so if your meth fails and you have 93 octane you should be ok (the ECU will revert to the 93 octane timings).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #15
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Nice review! I can very well see why you like it... I've been driving the stage 2 race flash for a few months now and it's indeed awesome.

Now I just have to get my DME accept the mapswitching version and then I'll be happy...!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      10-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #16
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

wow your getting me excited for my stg2!!! Sounds like the car is a beast now!

Oh and its funny, I understand your HP/TQ comment on the F430, but my father in law has a 09 F430 and I drive it often. Even if I had stage 2 i'm sure it wouldn't compare to the feel of that car!!!

BTW last time I checked, the Procede does offer a 15 day money back guaruntee and i'm pretty sure bms offeres something similiar. Honestly a interested consumer could just try a bunch of tunes and see which one they like.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post

BTW last time I checked, the Procede does offer a 15 day money back guaruntee and i'm pretty sure bms offeres something similiar. Honestly a interested consumer could just try a bunch of tunes and see which one they like.
Well that is good! People always start these stupid threads on which to get when you can just get both and choose which one you like better. Dyno is most likely next weekend.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #18
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

go race an F430 and see who wins
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

IDK, I ran a 575 from 60-150 and pulled a car.

Grats on the GIAC SII+. I will say for all fairness that comparing this tune to a piggy which isn't running meth or race gas isn't apples to apples, but regardless, it works! And frankly, given your mod list, I wouldn't expect anything other than GIAC S2+ or a PROcede in the car...
      10-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

With the handheld switcher can you go 100% stock? That would be great for dealer visits. The only other downside to this mod is it has no resale value compared to piggyback systems.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
With the handheld switcher can you go 100% stock? That would be great for dealer visits. The only other downside to this mod is it has no resale value compared to piggyback systems.
Well, the tune is VIN specific. And I think the last thing on someone's mind when purchasing a tune is the resale value. haha.

And I wouldn't mind racing an F430 from a roll. I would probably pull a car or so on it and then the displacement and weight factor will catch up around 120-130 or so. You have to understand the F430 has 250trq to the wheels, which no matter what, is a disadvantage from a roll. Would be fun bragging rights, hehe.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #22
old account 1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 463whp 2001.5 Audi S4

Quote:

can GIAC raise idle RPM?

We have some options that we will be looking into as we have hardware capable switching on the fly.

I will post more information regarding upgraded turbos when I have it.

Yes, we can. Curious why you would like such an option?
Appreciate 0