E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone have a dinan stage 1 installed, on 335i?

10-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i coupe

Anyone have a dinan stage 1 installed, on 335i?

Just got my 335 not too long ago and started in the realm of upgrading.. I am pondering of getting the dinan stage 1 software, but before I get all worked up I just have some questions. Don't want to do too much, but just enough to have a little fun.

1. Firstly, if I just plan to upgrade to just the stage 1 dinan software itself and not anything else, what would the horsepower be? I've talked to the dinan people and they said it was going to be like 360hp/380 tq. Is this true? Anyone in the same as me!?

2. Will this overheat the engine? I have a factory oil cooler and no, I dont smash on the throttle all the time.

3. How is it compared to stock power? Pretty noticeable?

Thanks,

Burt
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I don't have the factory oil cooler and, for now, decided not to have one installed. For that reason I was limited to Stage 1. If not, I would have definitely gone with Stage 2. It is only another $500 for a good increase in torque.

I'm betting most responders will tell you to just go for Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Also, you can check out the Dinan website for hp/tq numbers.

It will not overheat your engine.

Noticeable compared to stock? Honestly, not sure the difference is worth the price, although I would probably do it again. I only had my 335 for a short time before I got Stage 1 so my butt dyno wasn't very calibrated to judge the difference. Currently fighting the urge to get the oil cooler and do Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

I would go for stage 2. Not too many people have stage 1 on the forum. Stage two gives you that "oh shit" this car hauls ass. You would need to put your car on a race track to overheat it. Its a huge difference
      10-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Dinan Stage 1 is pointless since you have an oil cooler. You should definitely get Stage 2. You will not overheat unless you do HPDE track days in July.

Dinan measures stock engine at 330hp on 93 octane. Stage 1 is 366hp on 93 octane. Stage 2 is 384 hp on 93 octane. On your 91 octane gas, all the numbers are about 10% lower.

I will add that I'm wondering if you considered a GIAC tune. Since your car's BMW warranty is almost expired, you wouldn't be getting very much consequential warranty from Dinan, which is a big reason for the high price. GIAC Stage 1 tune is comparable to Dinan Stage 2 for a much lower price. If you do HPDE, GIAC also has an optional map for race gas, which is pretty tempting.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

If an oil cooler is what holds anyone back from Stage II, just call up BMWNA and bitch and they'll send you to the nearest dealership and get it for you. I know 2 people who did this and got the oil cooler retrofitted
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #7
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san6279 View Post
Also, you can check out the Dinan website for hp/tq numbers.

It will not overheat your engine.

Noticeable compared to stock? Honestly, not sure the difference is worth the price, although I would probably do it again. I only had my 335 for a short time before I got Stage 1 so my butt dyno wasn't very calibrated to judge the difference. Currently fighting the urge to get the oil cooler and do Stage 2.

@ sans6279

So are you gonna get the stage 2? I see that your in Seattle, Where at? Meet should meet up bro.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Dinan Stage 1 is pointless since you have an oil cooler. You should definitely get Stage 2. You will not overheat unless you do HPDE track days in July.

Dinan measures stock engine at 330hp on 93 octane. Stage 1 is 366hp on 93 octane. Stage 2 is 384 hp on 93 octane. On your 91 octane gas, all the numbers are about 10% lower.

I will add that I'm wondering if you considered a GIAC tune. Since your car's BMW warranty is almost expired, you wouldn't be getting very much consequential warranty from Dinan, which is a big reason for the high price. GIAC Stage 1 tune is comparable to Dinan Stage 2 for a much lower price. If you do HPDE, GIAC also has an optional map for race gas, which is pretty tempting.

@ gary s

Thanks for the input.. Btw what is giac tune? Sorry I'm a noob. Also, I've been thinking stage 1 and stage 2 are like $500 apart and so much more in power increase. Make more logical sense to step up to the stage 2.. Do you know if I have the factory oil cooler and will that withstand the amount of power increase in a stage 2 or probably upgrade to the dinan oil cooler? Becuase I think to retrofit those are a lil spendy right? And also I'm probably looking at about close to $4k in stage 2 plus dinan oil cooler and install right?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #9
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
If an oil cooler is what holds anyone back from Stage II, just call up BMWNA and bitch and they'll send you to the nearest dealership and get it for you. I know 2 people who did this and got the oil cooler retrofitted
@ brey335i

Man, that's cool.. So what do you have to do? Or I guess say? Cuz the dinan oil cooler are like $1600 for me.. And doesn't it take awhile for a retro fit of the dinan oil coolers?

Thanks bro
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 03:44 AM   #10
Brey335i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyscho_Powers View Post
@ brey335i

Man, that's cool.. So what do you have to do? Or I guess say? Cuz the dinan oil cooler are like $1600 for me.. And doesn't it take awhile for a retro fit of the dinan oil coolers?

Thanks bro
Stage II does not require the Dinan oil cooler.

It only requires having an oil cooler. Which means you can use the one BMW fits to most 335i's. That means all you have to do is complain about ridiculous oil temperatures and BMW will retrofit one on your car for free. Only early 2007 models didn't have it.

If you look in the passenger side front wheel well, there's an opening towards the front. You can see the oil cooler in there if you have one
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Stage II does not require the Dinan oil cooler.

It only requires having an oil cooler. Which means you can use the one BMW fits to most 335i's. That means all you have to do is complain about ridiculous oil temperatures and BMW will retrofit one on your car for free. Only early 2007 models didn't have it.

If you look in the passenger side front wheel well, there's an opening towards the front. You can see the oil cooler in there if you have one
@ brey335i

Actually I do have a oil cooler, but dinan recommends that there oil cooler be on there for a stage 2.. Plus i think if anyone were to get a stage2 a bigger oil cooler would make the most sense, wouldnt it? And by looking at it, it's like a whole different oil cooler than the OEM ones.. It's pretty much like 50% beefier than the OEM.. Plus, I'll be looking at around $3500-4000 for the stage 2 plus the oil cooler and the install right?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 05:12 AM   #12
Brey335i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
@ brey335i

Actually I do have a oil cooler, but dinan recommends that there oil cooler be on there for a stage 2.. Plus i think if anyone were to get a stage2 a bigger oil cooler would make the most sense, wouldnt it? And by looking at it, it's like a whole different oil cooler than the OEM ones.. It's pretty much like 50% beefier than the OEM.. Plus, I'll be looking at around $3500-4000 for the stage 2 plus the oil cooler and the install right?
You'll be looking at way too much haha. I would seriously go with another tune and the AR Design Oil Cooler...

but if you're set on Dinan, I had the Stage II for almost 2 years I believe. Took it to several track days and never had a problem with my oil temps. So I would say that for the Dinan tune, the stock oil cooler is sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #13
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
@ brey335i

No. Dinan requires a Dinan oil cooler for their Stage 3, not for Stage 2.

You should consider Dinan Stage 2 and GIAC Stage 1. They are very similar, except the Dinan tune is more expensive and covers you against voids in your BMW warranty until the BMW warranty expires. I'm not positive how much the GIAC tune costs. I think it's around $1000 installed.

According to GIAC's website, here are two GIAC dealers in Washington:

Cantrell Motorsports
11834 NE 112th Street
Kirkland, WA 98033
Telephone: 425-820-0231

Harmony Motorworks
1922 Grant Street
Bellingham, WA 98225
Telephone: (360) 671-2420
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
@ sans6279

So are you gonna get the stage 2? I see that your in Seattle, Where at? Meet should meet up bro.
Not sure yet about Stage 2. I tried getting an oil cooler retrofit via BMWNA and the dealer, but they flat out said no. From all the posts I've read and from what I've heard from my SA, they are no longer retrofitting oil coolers for free. I got quoted $2700 from dealer for install. Got the same quote from an indy here in Seattle. Might check one more that is very close to my house and see if they can do it cheaper. Right now I've decided to hold off. Maybe will reconsider in the spring. Good part about doing it now is that Dinan software is currently 20% until October 31st.

If go do get Dinan, where are you planning on having it installed? I did mine at BMW Seattle.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
@ sans6279

Almost forgot. I'm actually up near Mill Creek/Snohomish.

By the way, as others have mentioned, unless you are trying to retain a warranty there may be other tunes that are more cost effective. I still have one year on BMW main warranty and 3 years on BMW CPO warranty, so I've decided to stick with the Dinan route for now to preserve my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
Brey335i
Banned
Rep

Quote:

By the way, as others have mentioned, unless you are trying to retain a warranty there may be other tunes that are more cost effective. I still have one year on BMW main warranty and 3 years on BMW CPO warranty, so I've decided to stick with the Dinan route for now to preserve my warranty.
Word of warning: Dinan only covers you for the original 50,000 miles / 4 years. They do not cover an extended warranty and BMW has no obligation to honor your extended warranty after the Dinan install.

Trust me on this. BMW won't sell the extended warranty to a Dinan owner for a reason. And Dinan only stands behind their product for the original warranty period on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #17
Brey335i
Banned
Rep

From their website:

"And as always, Dinan matches the new car warranty coverage for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, including the possibility of consequential damages."
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #18
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
You'll be looking at way too much haha. I would seriously go with another tune and the AR Design Oil Cooler...

but if you're set on Dinan, I had the Stage II for almost 2 years I believe. Took it to several track days and never had a problem with my oil temps. So I would say that for the Dinan tune, the stock oil cooler is sufficient.

@ Brey335i

Shoots thx foe the heads up about the warranty issue.. Never really thought about the while 4yr/50k from the original cuz mine is a CPO car with 1 yr left on original warranty plus 2 more years...

In your honest opinion did you like the dinan stage 2.. I mean int situation, I really would like the upgrade but a part of me says that I should just have the car stock cuz I mean I won't be taking it to the track or anything but on the other hand I kinda want the extra "umph" from stock u feel me? And btw, how did you get ur software for? No issues on your software right?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #19
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
No. Dinan requires a Dinan oil cooler for their Stage 3, not for Stage 2.

You should consider Dinan Stage 2 and GIAC Stage 1. They are very similar, except the Dinan tune is more expensive and covers you against voids in your BMW warranty until the BMW warranty expires. I'm not positive how much the GIAC tune costs. I think it's around $1000 installed.

According to GIAC's website, here are two GIAC dealers in Washington:

Cantrell Motorsports
11834 NE 112th Street
Kirkland, WA 98033
Telephone: 425-820-0231

Harmony Motorworks
1922 Grant Street
Bellingham, WA 98225
Telephone: (360) 671-2420

@gary S

Thx for the input bro, but honestly do you have the giac in ur 335? Do you know if it's really realible? Any issues? Cuz I mean my on the verge of tune the car or not.. Cuz I mean, it'd be nice to have the extra "umph" but again, I don't plan to take the cat to the track on occasion.. So yeah, decisions, decisions.. Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #20
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:

@san6279

So yeah I just bought the car from BMW seattle.. It was a CPO car, with 1 yr original warranty plus 2 yrs on top of that.. And besides (brey335i) pointed out that the warranty from dinan ONLY covers the ORIGINAL WARRNTY 4th/50k miles.. And plus im debating whether to mod the car or not.. A lil extra power would be nice but in actual reality I don't know if how much of that power increase do I get to use.. I guess only on occasion.. And stock car is pretty decent as well.

Oh an yeah I'm in shoreline area.. How you like the car so far?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
@gary S

Thx for the input bro, but honestly do you have the giac in ur 335? Do you know if it's really realible? Any issues? Cuz I mean my on the verge of tune the car or not.. Cuz I mean, it'd be nice to have the extra "umph" but again, I don't plan to take the cat to the track on occasion.. So yeah, decisions, decisions.. Lol

I have a Dinan Stage 2 tune in my car. The added power is great.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #22
Brey335i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
@ Brey335i

Shoots thx foe the heads up about the warranty issue.. Never really thought about the while 4yr/50k from the original cuz mine is a CPO car with 1 yr left on original warranty plus 2 more years...

In your honest opinion did you like the dinan stage 2.. I mean int situation, I really would like the upgrade but a part of me says that I should just have the car stock cuz I mean I won't be taking it to the track or anything but on the other hand I kinda want the extra "umph" from stock u feel me? And btw, how did you get ur software for? No issues on your software right?
No problems with the Dinan Stage II at all. The added power felt amazing. Even to this day I don't really regret getting it. I just got rid of it because my warranty ran out from BMW and I'm gonna go all out with mods now. That's why the Procede fit my needs better.

Had I wanted to stay mostly stock and still had the BMW warranty, I would have stayed with Dinan for sure.

I got it for $2200 OTD. But that also included the Performance Shift Knob and Navigation DVD. So I'm not exactly sure what the Dinan cost me
Appreciate 0