2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) Production Numbers

10-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Production Numbers

I'm from Canada and therefor have no access to status tracking as our friends to the south of us. I was wondering if any you who has production numbers close to mine (7607887) could give me your number and expected production /completion dates? The dealer here makes you feel they are doing you a massive favour just by telling you the production number.

Thanks,
Bill
Current: 2008 335xi, on order 2011 535i xDrive mSport, tech, exec
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
I'm from Canada and therefor have no access to status tracking as our friends to the south of us. I was wondering if any you who has production numbers close to mine (7607887) could give me your number and expected production /completion dates? The dealer here makes you feel they are doing you a massive favour just by telling you the production number.
Just ask for the production week, and we can tell you which week your car will be built. And you can call your dealer that week to get an update (it doesn't take them more than a few seconds to call up the details). Once completed, ask them to give you the VIN, and you can track your vehicle at WWL (I believe all Canadian orders is shipped by them) during its trip across the Atlantic.

If your dealership is giving you a hard time, you can also call BMW Canada; they have access to the same info too.

Last edited by nosnoop; 10-29-2010 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Salter
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

Dealer blues?

It's too bad you get this kind of attitude from your dealer. Especially since we Canadians have no access to an automated tracking system.

Not all dealers and salesmen are cut from the same cloth. I've been dealing with BMW Toronto's David Chu. I communicate with him mostly via email, and he's very responsive. When I inquired about a tracking system his prompt reply was "...No customer number to call that I’m aware of… you can just bug me..."

As soon as my car reaches production (week 45) -I will!

p.s. nosnoop - thanks for the link.

Last edited by Salter; 10-29-2010 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks nosnoop and Salter.

You can bet I bug my dealeruntil I get my answers.

Salter: Your production week is 45 - when did you order? I ordered on October 4th.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Salter
Private
Rep

Quote:
when did you order? I ordered on October 4th.
Thanks
Mine was ordered on October 5th.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Great! That means mine should be in the same run.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Great! That means mine should be in the same run.
Not necessarily.
Many dealerships, especially the larger ones, pre-order allocations months ahead. And when a client actually orders a car and customize it, they would change an existing order to client's specs.

So similar order date in different dealership may not correspond to the same actual production week.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
jlgwu
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 440i GC X-Drive M Sport

Quote:
Thanks nosnoop and Salter.

You can bet I bug my dealeruntil I get my answers.

Salter: Your production week is 45 - when did you order? I ordered on October 4th.

Thanks
I'm in Vancouver and I ordered my Space Grey (black interior) 535i with M-Sport, Executive and Dynamic Handling Pkg on Sept 15th. I was told by my dealer that mine would be an Oct production. They gave me my production # but after that, they stopped being helpful and were not too willing to give me more info to track the car. I ordered from the largest dealer in Vancouver and they couldn't get me a faster production. Something about Canada only being allocated a certain # of build spots (far less than the US).

Based on this, I gave BMW Canada customer service a call. They're really good and they will look up your production # and tell you how far along your car is and give you the VIN. I found out that my car was completed on Oct 26th and was moved to the port.

I then went to the Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics website

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/customerCentre/index.jsp

Went to track and trace and entered the last 8 digits of the VIN. It showed my car was booked Oct 27th, arrived at Bremerhaven on Oct 28th at 22:00 and then was loaded aboard vessel at 22:01. The ship has now left the UK and is enroute to Halifax with an ETA of Nov 8th. After that, I'm at the mercy of CN and how long they take to ship it by train to the west coast. You can also trace the shipping on CN if you know anyone with a CN account.

The wait is killing me now that I know it's on it's way.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Salter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgwu View Post

The wait is killing me now that I know it's on it's way.
This site is a little like AA support group - but for car addicts, many of whom are eagerly awaiting the delivery of our carefully ordered 5ers. Mine will arrive in the dead of winter. I don't think I'll get to enjoy its brand spanking new looks for more than a day - if I'm lucky. Snow and slush will take care of that!

I also think that those who're having bad experiences with their dealers should post the dealer's name. Future buyers who may stumble upon those posts should be forewarned. I did the same but for opposite reason; my sales person/dealership got a couple of mentions here because of their excellen service to date.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I just called BMW Canada and all they were able to give me was my production number. They were very clear that I could call back anytime and as soon as it goes into production they will be able to give me much more detail (i.e. VIN, expected completion date, etc.).

I do plan on having a talk with my salesguy.

BTW to top it all off, my '08 335xi had to be flat bedded into the dealership yesterday and I haven't got word yet as to what the problem is. So I'm completely bemmerless right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Not necessarily.
Many dealerships, especially the larger ones, pre-order allocations months ahead. And when a client actually orders a car and customize it, they would change an existing order to client's specs.

So similar order date in different dealership may not correspond to the same actual production week.
Ya, I just found out mine is week 47...bummer!
Appreciate 0