E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Burning smell - Popped hood - NO OIL CAP & OIL EVERYWHERE!

10-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
YngPhllyKd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe

Burning smell - Popped hood - NO OIL CAP & OIL EVERYWHERE!

I took my car in for service a few weeks ago. They topped my fluids, checked my brakes, replaced a fog lamp, etc.

Last night was the first time i took it on the highway since i got it back. I went over my friends house and we both noticed a burning smell. We popped the hood and there it was! Oil covered my engine, underneath my hood, it was on my front bumper and more. We saw right away there was no oil cap...which lead me to believe that a service tech forgot to put it back on after topping off my fluids. I called the dealership this morning and explained the situation. They're towing my car to BMW tomorrow morning, but the service advisor said "we're going to have to look into this...you should have gotten a check engine light after driving a couple of miles with no oil cap."

That concerns me a little. I have a JB3, which is disconnected since before i took it to the dealership (still is disconnected), but i'm worried they might upload my cars info to BMWNA. Should i be concerned with this situation?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Don't leave the tune in there if you care. But in this case, yep, sounds like they F'ed up. Could be it was put back on, but not locked. Happens. And no, you wont get a check engine light unless you rev it to high rpms. Ask me how I know that. Happened on my E46. Luckily I had not driven far, and it was me who f'ed up. Got lots of oil mist but no real mess. Funny enough the cap did not even fall off the valve cover where I had put it when I was topping off the oil. I also think the cold oil helped prevent disaster.
      10-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
YngPhllyKd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Don't leave the tune in there if you care. But in this case, yep, sounds like they F'ed up. Could be it was put back on, but not locked. Happens. And no, you wont get a check engine light unless you rev it to high rpms. Ask me how I know that. Happened on my E46. Luckily I had not driven far, and it was me who f'ed up. Got lots of oil mist but no real mess. Funny enough the cap did not even fall off the valve cover where I had put it when I was topping off the oil. I also think the cold oil helped prevent disaster.
The tune's out of the car...completely de-modded. I asked them to make sure the car was detailed and completely cleaned. So hopefully it's not as bad i'm thinking it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

No its no big deal a little de-greaser can't fix. They wont even hook it to the computer. Just top up again, replace the cap and give it a nice detail. Happens more than you realize.