BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-26-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

lets talk m button

okay... i did my searching at m5 board...people say that the m5's m button does not make the car from v8-v10 raising the horse power to 507... (for now lets leave the suspension etc. out of it to keep this thread simple)

but top gear bbc's show stated that it does make it go from v8-v10...

so does anybody know the concrete answer and i will believe them :rocks:

now to deal with the e92 m3... you guys think it will be a part of it?

or is it now m dynamics...

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

hp reduce/increase

I would bet that you will not be able to reduce/increase the hp on the new M3. It will probably have a sport mode that remaps the throttle response like the E46 M3 though. The M3 is supposed to be the sportiest model in the BMW line up. The M5 is damn fast but more luxury oriented and with that much hp having it default with 400 hp is a bit safer and probably better for the typical M5 driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 01:26 AM   #3
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I would bet that you will not be able to reduce/increase the hp on the new M3. It will probably have a sport mode that remaps the throttle response like the E46 M3 though. The M3 is supposed to be the sportiest model in the BMW line up. The M5 is damn fast but more luxury oriented and with that much hp having it default with 400 hp is a bit safer and probably better for the typical M5 driver.
...but then the sport mode would probably actually add a few horses this time insstead of only changing the throttle response...

it would be nice to have it less hp when driving normally..
save the power for wen its needed

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
You're basically right that M5 and M3 are different kind of cars. Anyway the new M3 WILL have the same system featuring power button, EDC button and DSC button. The news for the M3 is that this whole system is connected via flexray, which is a real improvement over the M5.
As I said some time ago, the preference of settings is programmable and can be switched with the M-button on the steering wheel.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 05:31 AM   #5
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

How will flexray really improve things?

I can see how flexray would improve manufacturing efficiency and even repairability, but I really do not see how flexray will actually give drivers more performance. Taking the M5 as an example, it has no flexray, but the EDC, DSC, throttle mapping, gearbox, etc all do work very well together already. There is no noticable delay in response because of the lack of a flexray bus or backbone.

How is flexray supposed to make the car better for drivers?

Is flexray merely a technological acheivement for BMW to brag about, without a measurable performance benefit?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
I can see how flexray would improve manufacturing efficiency and even repairability, but I really do not see how flexray will actually give drivers more performance. Taking the M5 as an example, it has no flexray, but the EDC, DSC, throttle mapping, gearbox, etc all do work very well together already. There is no noticable delay in response because of the lack of a flexray bus or backbone.

How is flexray supposed to make the car better for drivers?
What is FlexRay?

For these automotive applications to become commonplace, a number of protocol requirements must exist. Enter FlexRay. FlexRay is a communication system developed by a consortium founded in 2000 by BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Motorola, and Philips Semiconductors. In 2001, Robert Bosch GmbH and General Motors joined the consortium. So did Ford Motor Company this past June. The consortium members realized that despite the numerous automotive communications protocols out on the market—most from Europe, most in or just out of development—none would fulfill future automotive control requirements. Even the computer communications protocols don't suffice. "None of them are automotive qualified," explains Andreas Both, business and technology manager overseeing FlexRay for the Semiconductor Products Sector of Motorola (Munich, Germany). That is, they are not qualified for automotive operating temperatures and electromagnetic compatibility requirements. (Remember hearing spark plugs fire through your aftermarket AM radio?)

FlexRay is an open, common, scalable electronic architecture for automotive applications. It can operate in single- or dual-channel mode, providing redundancy where needed. It allows both synchronous and asynchronous data transmissions. With the former, other nodes on the network receive time-triggered messages in a predefined latency time. With the latter, messages get to their destinations quickly or slowly, depending on their priority. Currently, FlexRay can handle communications at 10 Mbps—the speed of your typical low-end home-computing local area network. Motorola's Both is quick to add that this standard doesn't mean that 10 Mbps is enough forevermore. Instead, it is fast enough for the foreseeable future, given the applications automakers have envisioned thus far.

Last, FlexRay's clock synchronization mechanism aptly handles cheap clock oscillators, namely those made out of quartz. And that synchronization, as with all of FlexRay, is fault tolerant. For example, FlexRay automatically and digitally compensates for the differences in the variety of quartz clocks running on the network, as well as in their slight changes in clock frequencies. This clock synchronization is a distributed mechanism; there's no master timekeeper here. So if one node fails or for some reason is taken off the network, the other nodes will continue to operate in synchrony.

(Insofar as the fault tolerance of motors and sensors, the normal rules of reliable systems design applies. For example, in a steer-by-wire system, the sensor system in the steering wheel will be a redundant array, with two or three sensors providing the same signal. A judging algorithm in the electronics will then determine the validity of the signals; that is, it will determine whether all three sensors are providing the same information, or at least two of the three.)

IMHO: best, clearest and most detailed info here:
http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/090205.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
Is flexray merely a technological acheivement for BMW to brag about, without a measurable performance benefit?
No

It will offer some measurable benefits; but for now ('08/'09) not in the ways most of us interpret a performance benefit.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Thanks for the info Norsk. I understand that Flexray speeds transmission of data. I agree that for now the benefits are going to be limited. I read somewhere that Flexray will not be fully implemented by BMW until the new 7er debuts. That is well after the M3 is lauched.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
EBuyuk
Private
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
okay... i did my searching at m5 board...people say that the m5's m button does not make the car from v8-v10 raising the horse power to 507... (for now lets leave the suspension etc. out of it to keep this thread simple)

but top gear bbc's show stated that it does make it go from v8-v10...

so does anybody know the concrete answer and i will believe them :rocks:

now to deal with the e92 m3... you guys think it will be a part of it?

or is it now m dynamics...

I can confirm that on the M5 it is always a V-10. The button can be set in the I-drive menu. You can choose your power (P400, P500, P500S), you can choose your suspension settings (EDC), DSC on, off or MDM and lastly you can choose which mode you want your SMG (D1-D5 or S1-S6). You can also set your HUD and active seat bolsters too. I have my M button set to P500S, EDC II, DSC off, S6.:rocks:

But I doubt that they will have this system in the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

V8 to V10...?
meaning in regular times, you only use 8 cylinders out of 10 cylinders? lol
this doesnt make sense with my knowledge...help me out anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
V8 to V10...?
thats wat top gear said...
but i guess they were wrong because m5board stated that they always use 10 cylinders so no need to confuse urself.

``

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Cylinder fuel shut off

Quote:
V8 to V10...?
Some vehicles can obtain greater fuel economy by literally shutting down the fuel supply to some of the cylinders during lower power driving. Old Cadillacs from the 80's even had this technology with a 4/6/8 light to tell you how many cylinders are actually working. GM recently brought this feature back into production and some of their SUVs it. Honda, Toyota, DC and have similar systems. They work pretty well. I would definitely support this kind of feature even in a sports/GT car if you could totally disable it. Would be nice to have much better mpg, avoid gas guzzler tax and even have a greener car (ugh did I just say that...).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 10:51 PM   #12
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Some vehicles can obtain greater fuel economy by literally shutting down the fuel supply to some of the cylinders during lower power driving. Old Cadillacs from the 80's even had this technology with a 4/6/8 light to tell you how many cylinders are actually working. GM recently brought this feature back into production and some of their SUVs it. Honda, Toyota, DC and have similar systems. They work pretty well. I would definitely support this kind of feature even in a sports/GT car if you could totally disable it. Would be nice to have much better mpg, avoid gas guzzler tax and even have a greener car (ugh did I just say that...).
Time to get yourself hybrid cars swamp2!
Can I take over your waitlist spot? haha
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #13
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Time to get yourself hybrid cars swamp2!
Can I take over your waitlist spot? haha
I can sell him my temporary 07 civic for cheap. 40mpg.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Funny

Last, bobbo: You guys are funny!

I do have some seemingly contradictory interests. Love big hp, fast cars (heck even 5000 hp nitro burning drag cars that can not turn). However, I also feel the environment is one of the most serious long term issues facing the planet. If I can have an E92 M3 with 30 mpg (unlikely/impossible) with DGI and cylinder fuel cut off I would like that!

bobbo: Forum member here replicat has his drives as "40MPG", just like you.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 01:19 AM   #15
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
I would bet that you will not be able to reduce/increase the hp on the new M3. It will probably have a sport mode that remaps the throttle response like the E46 M3 though.
I hope not. The sport mode in the E46 ruins the throttle response if you are trying to drive the car fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Where have you been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I hope not. The sport mode in the E46 ruins the throttle response if you are trying to drive the car fast.
We need some more good posts and balanced/logical reasoning.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 01:50 AM   #17
enigma
Captain
Rep

Work has been crazy, got a video game to write, and had a project to finish for the local BMW club.

I am back to being bored at work so everyone should brace themselves for my normal ranting again.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #18
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3racer View Post
what planet r u from swamp
"The M3 is supposed to be the sportiest model in the BMW line up."

the m3 is and will be the smallest .(after the z4) least powerfull of all the Ms. i think you are starting to beleive yer own hype you should be in sales
You might want to look up the definition of a "sports car". Big and lots of HP are not in it

Bigs cars are the exact opposite of sporty cars. We actually call them pigs or boats. I drove an M6, its a pig. Sure its got a lot of hp but its not fun to drive.

Performance and sportiness is all about weight, tire/weight, and hp/weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #19
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
and youve done how much track work?
Use the search feature
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #20
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Use the search feature
Kind of wanted to this guy but you got to it first, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #21
mmmach5
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Hey there Ebuyuk. Anyway back to the question. The M5 is V10 all the time. It is the settings that can be changed that lets the engine produce 400 vs 507 Hp. I think if it is set at 507 Hp the whole time, you would get like 8 Mi to a Gal.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #22
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
what planet r u from swamp
"The M3 is supposed to be the sportiest model in the BMW line up."

the m3 is and will be the smallest .(after the z4) least powerfull of all the Ms. i think you are starting to beleive yer own hype you should be in sales
In terms of "sportiness", I think the term generally factors in size and weight, in addition to power. I would rank from most to least: MZ4, M3, M6, M5. The new M3 will undoubtedly outperform the current MZ4, but will still be a heavier 4-seater, so that order is debatable.
Appreciate 0