E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The wastegate rattle, revisited

10-31-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
XJS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335iM

The wastegate rattle, revisited

So I have the infamous wastegate rattle. Car runs well, but with windows down in the garage it is quite noticeable when letting off the gas.

I've scanned the forum quite a bit, but haven't found the answer to this question:

If they upgrade my turbos, actuator, software (currently on 27.x which I love), is it just a matter of time before the new actuator/turbo goes bad again and gives off the wastegate rattle? I want to own the car long term. Currently I have an insurance against this kind of thing, but after 10.000km or 8 years it is nullified. I'm currently at 3 years and 51.000km so not close, but still... The warranty is only 2 years in Sweden, so that went away a long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Just for a bit of rattle they wont change the turbos.
I would first try to complain about this with the bmw dealer and get the car reprogrammed with latest software.
Should be around 3000 sek to do the update.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
XJS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Just for a bit of rattle they wont change the turbos.
I would first try to complain about this with the bmw dealer and get the car reprogrammed with latest software.
Should be around 3000 sek to do the update.
I fínd it hard to believe that a software update will fix the problem since I assume the last fix they tried led to turbo lag. What I don't want is 4 separate visits to BMW who charge me for every time I go in. One for software, next for actuator fiddling, next for replacing actuators, last for turbo. That will cost me. Better if they just do everything directly.

But still, those of you that have upgraded actuators and turbo, have the rattle come back, or is it safe after that?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJS View Post
I fínd it hard to believe that a software update will fix the problem since I assume the last fix they tried led to turbo lag. What I don't want is 4 separate visits to BMW who charge me for every time I go in. One for software, next for actuator fiddling, next for replacing actuators, last for turbo. That will cost me. Better if they just do everything directly.

But still, those of you that have upgraded actuators and turbo, have the rattle come back, or is it safe after that?
Well if you use for example Procede V4 which is able to regulate wastegates the rattle will disappear if there is a very small mechanical slack or if the software you have does not close them completely.
You want to pay once than take the car to BMW and contact your insurance since its stock.
Make sure you tell them you dont want the car back till the rattling is gone and that they have to fix it.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0