ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Master Apex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3 '07 Z4M '06 E60M5

C51 245 front/R888 275 rear - awesome combination

I have been tracking Z4M for the past 7months and been tweaking the car to make it turn-in sharper (Lotus Exige is my benchmark).

The car has:
- KW CS Coilover with front camber set at -3.5
- More rake, lowering the front more than the rear and use 245/35/18 front tire to allow more clearance (no rub at 23.3" ride height)
- 275/35/18 in the rear

From tires wear, I can see that the front tires are working harder than the rears. A week ago, as my Star Spec is worn out (after 8 track days), I decided to try out R888 on the rear and Hankook C51 on the front. I know the C51 compound is much softer than the R888 so curios to know how it would handle.

Well, happy to report that it was great.
The car turns like Lotus Exige S.
In fact, on a tight course (7 turns) where a season driver (instructor) was running 38.xx seconds laptime in his Lotus Exige S with R888 tires...that was considered benchmark, my Z4M broke the record as it was clocking 37.xx seconds.

The only trade off is obvious, the front tires wear much faster....so this is an expensive deal for HPDE but for competition, this is an absolute best combo that I have tried.

Just want to share my findings.

PS: I know with the same tire model, there is more grip in the back than the front , so my thought is to add grip in the front instead of taking grip away from the back (e.g. using narrower tires).
I also know that the front tires work harder ; I have been thinking about a way to shift the load, making the rear work harder. I think stiffer rear swaybar just change the steady state balance of the car toward oversteer and will not improve the turn-in response. I think that the Z4M platform is already compromised as engine/weight is in the front.

Last edited by Master Apex; 11-02-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Thanks for the write up. It seems that the front is almost always going to work harder as there's just so much weight up there---especially noticeable on a tight course or auto-x.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

thanks for the info...I'm running 235 in front and 265 in the rear on r888's ad I could definitely feel the rear being stickier.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0