E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 72K miles major maintenance?

11-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep
Drives: 07 328i, #358 metrobus

72K miles major maintenance?

First of all, i bought my used E90 (automatic with N51 sulev...) from a non BMW dealer. They sent me a reminder saying that my car is Due for a 72K miles major maintenance <according to the manual they said... i didnt get one with the car so how would i know>

what are the maintenance for 72K miles and probably an approximate cost?? I will be bringing the car to an actual BMW dealer for maintenance stuff
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

You can download a copy of the manual from BMW's NA website. It may help.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by watabaotnao View Post
First of all, i bought my used E90 (automatic with N51 sulev...) from a non BMW dealer. They sent me a reminder saying that my car is Due for a 72K miles major maintenance <according to the manual they said... i didnt get one with the car so how would i know>

what are the maintenance for 72K miles and probably an approximate cost?? I will be bringing the car to an actual BMW dealer for maintenance stuff
Listen to me carefully. DO NOT bring your car to a dealer for maintenance stuff. They will rape you. You are better off finding a good INDY. Check the regional forum on this site.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

At 72,000 miles I would have the coolant flush, change oil/filter, air filter, cabin air filter, power steering flush, brake fluid flush, and trans flush. Don't assume anything was done. I recently found out that my air filter was original!
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 11-03-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep
Drives: 07 328i, #358 metrobus

haha ya sooo true i totally forgot about dealer price rapage! i used to own a vw and i was complaining day and night on how they totally ripped me off! tnX bud i will check out the local forum for local euro shop.
fluid flushes sounds good! i'll call the dealer and ask for a repair/maintenace history of this just to give me a bigger idea on what to do.

and tnX socom! i'll definately download one!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Just for some perspective, the cost of an inspection 1 for my Z4 from any BMW dealer in the area was $600. That included an oil/oil filter change, cabin air filter change, and a number of visual inspections. At 72k miles, they would charge substantially more for the maintenance. Definitely go with an independent BMW shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
Just for some perspective, the cost of an inspection 1 for my Z4 from any BMW dealer in the area was $600. That included an oil/oil filter change, cabin air filter change, and a number of visual inspections. At 72k miles, they would charge substantially more for the maintenance. Definitely go with an independent BMW shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
matthew34brown
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90

there is no major 72k mile anything its every 30000 miles u just get a routine check-up thats it
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
HOW long does an ait filter LAST?

I had mine changed at 48K and now have 61k miles, does a light come on? It has been 2 years almost since it was changed?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDummy View Post
HOW long does an ait filter LAST?

I had mine changed at 48K and now have 61k miles, does a light come on? It has been 2 years almost since it was changed?
Once a year or when it's dirty.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by watabaotnao View Post

As Matthew said, there is no 72k service - so stay away from that dealer.

If the car had been maintained by a BMW dealer, they will be able to read the history from your keyfob. In the meantime, you should be able to get an idea of what recommended items are coming up through the car's dash computer:

1. With the car idling but stationary, use the lever (not the end button) on the turn signal stalk and scroll up or down to access "SERVICE INFO".
2. Push the end button to select.
3. Use the lever to scroll through the various items. The mileage to the next service and/or due date will be displayed.

Although some folks on this forum don't care for their BMW dealers, I've found mine to be very helpful and professional in maintining 5 different BMWs over the past 15 years. if the first one you try isn't to your liking, search for another - but I would avoid using a non-BMW dealer unless you know they have the knowledge and tools to work on BMWs.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The schedule for airfilter replacement is in the maintenace manual. The replacement schedule is every 3rd oil change. Being that the OCI for the E90 is about 15,000 miles, that translates into a airfilter change every 45,000 - 50,000 miles. This is about average for the industry based on non-dusty conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The schedule for airfilter replacement is in the maintenace manual. The replacement schedule is every 3rd oil change. Being that the OCI for the E90 is about 15,000 miles, that translates into a airfilter change every 45,000 - 50,000 miles. This is about average for the industry based on non-dusty conditions.
Most questions on here can be answered if they look in the manual. So if they won't look it up, I won't either. I just give everyone what I would do which is normally before the required scheduled maintenace. Ok, now i am going to clean the sand out of my vagina.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Most questions on here can be answered if they look in the manual. So if they won't look it up, I won't either. I just give everyone what I would do which is normally before the required scheduled maintenace. Ok, now i am going to clean the sand out of my vagina.
I think the new owner's manuals are a just slip of paper with

www.e90post.com - Ask Chriztofor, Socom, or Eninty...

I gave up using because apparently it is now politically incorrect.

Hope your vagina feels better soon...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Hope your vagina feels better soon...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #16
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
just did my oil/filter change. Cabin filter looks ok, water pump replaced under cpo, so I assume they had to flush, change coolant, all thats left is the tranny! Is there a good DIY for the tranny fluid or should I have one of the Dracula things suck the old out instead of draining??
      03-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #17
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
just did my oil/filter change. Cabin filter looks ok, water pump replaced under cpo, so I assume they had to flush, change coolant, all thats left is the tranny! Is there a good DIY for the tranny fluid or should I have one of the Dracula things suck the old out instead of draining??
Here is my DIY for my 325 http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367729
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #18
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Thanks, i did look in manual and utfse as well, ive been here long enough to know the rules. But remember most peeps dont follow manual as the intervals are spaced to far apart, thats why i asked the pro's on good ole E-90.

Appreciate 0