Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Have I been duped? (May have purchased "fake" OEM rims...)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Have I been duped? (May have purchased "fake" OEM rims...)

Lady sold me 4 "BMW" wheels with Dunlop winter tires. $1200 cash ($CAD).

Wheel and tires are like new. Claims she pulled them from her (now sold) 2007 M3 Coupe and that the tires/wheels were purchased from an authorized BMW dealership.

Owing to logistics, I had my father pick up the wheels so I could not inspect them. Today, the BMW dealership gave me a ring and told me these are not genuine BMW parts and will need a few mm's worth of spacers to fit properly. I phoned the lady and requested a receipt. She was totally indignant: in a word, "I'm a chartered accountant and I don't have time for this shit!"

I go back to the dealer and they show me the tires. On the back there is an inscription: "NOT ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT". The wheels are also made in Japan. They have an M badge and a BMW sticker, but the dealer claims they are aftermarket.

I've emailed the woman requesting a $300 partial refund or a complete return. She won't respond.

I'm now consider launching small claims; can anyone verify that these are original or not?

Please let me know what photos you might need.

Original ad: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pts/2033670298.html

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
ouch, sorry to hear man hope it all works out for ya. Oh and btw those tires look far from new.
      11-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Atsnow
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, 2010 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post

Wheel and tires are like new. Claims she pulled them from her (now sold) 2007 M3 Coupe and that the tires/wheels were purchased from an authorized BMW dealership.

Owing to logistics, I had my father pick up the wheels so I could not inspect them. Today, the BMW dealership gave me a ring and told me these are not genuine BMW parts and will need a few mm's worth of spacers to fit properly. I phoned the lady and requested a receipt. She was totally indignant: in a word, "I'm a chartered accountant and I don't have time for this shit!"

I go back to the dealer and they show me the tires. On the back there is an inscription: "NOT ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT". The wheels are also made in Japan. They have an M badge and a BMW sticker, but the dealer claims they are aftermarket.

I've emailed the woman requesting a $300 partial refund or a complete return. She won't respond.

I'm now consider launching small claims; can anyone verify that these are original or not?

Thanks!
Sorry man but these are replica M5 wheels same as my car
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I don't see anything in the ad that says they're certified BMW parts.

I don't see anything in the ad that says that they're not.

Duped... sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Psukhe
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Unless you have it in writing it's not worth the effort to go to small claims.

It sounds to me like you got what you paid for
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Well it does not say anywhere in the ad that they are OEM. I hope you did not pay the full amount as it said OBO.

4 x Dunlop 17" 225/45 tires and BMW M 10 spoke rims with BMW and M emblems. Purchased brand new and only driven on max 5 times (BMW M Coupe was toy car only and was stored for winter).

Tires are like brand new (see pictures).

Asking $1,200 o.b.o.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

you will win this in small claims even if you don't have this in writing
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantm3 View Post
you will not win this in small claims even if you have this in writing

fixed!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Set a brown paper bag of dog shit on fire on her porch and ring her doorbell. Then call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Set a brown paper bag of dog shit on fire on her porch and ring her doorbell. Then call it a day.
This ^

Quote:
Claims she pulled them from her (now sold) 2007 M3 Coupe
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is such a thing as a 2007 M3 Coupe. She managed to pick the one year it didn't exist. The e46 M3 was last produced as an 06 model and the e90/92 M3 did not come around until 2008
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

oh hey look, a number.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
LOL, that's why I don't buy used stuff from ebay or craiglist. And the tires are far away from being new or slightly used. Good luck getting this shit sorted out.

13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Thanks, gentlemen.

Is the consensus, then, that these are REPLICA M5 wheels?

For what it's worth, based on my record of correspondences with the woman and my acquaintance with the law, I have no concerns that I will win this in court. Also, the tires have a great deal more tread than what shows on the picture. They're fairly new.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 03:22 AM   #14
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Sorry OP.

1) there are no 17in M3 rims!
2) those are not M3 rim style!!
3) those are 17!!!
4) those are M5 style!!!!

For M3 rim you need to do the check:

Offset in 20s?
Size 18 or 19?
Style?

Those ones fail on all counts.

Go file the claim. Next time do a bit of research, anyone here probably would have told you they're fake simply because BMW never made anything in this style in this size, nor for M3.
      11-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #15
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

100% replica.

The real one would have the manufacturer shown on the back of the wheel. BBS, Ronal, etc are the typical rim manufacturers for BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #16
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
4 x Dunlop 17" 225/45 tires and BMW M 10 spoke rims with BMW and M emblems. Purchased brand new and only driven on max 5 times (BMW M Coupe was toy car only and was stored for winter).

Asking $1,200 o.b.o.

Not gonna be an EZ case:

1st off, no where in print does it state that these are OEM BMW wheels - sure they ARE BMW rims - obviously not GM, Ford, etc.

Also does not state that she purchased them from an authorized BMW dealer

Just because they have M Emblems on them doesn't mean squat - you can buy them oem or rep all day every day and stick them on any rims. Vendors on this forum do that

Also states tires are 'like' brand new - not ARE new & obviously since it states they have been driven on - they aren't new

Bottom line is that Craigslist is usually alot better to buy from over eBay because you have the ability to actually inspect what you're buying before paying. You had the chance to alleviate all this trouble and chose not to for whatever reason. A knowledgeable buyer would have known these were NOT OEM - if you were the knowledgeable buyer - then you should have gone to pick them up - not sent someone who has no idea. There is such a thing as 'Buyer Beware'

In the end, the wheels may be just fine, many reps are very good quality & most are made in Asia - heck, most of the vendor wheels sold here are made in Asia. But difference is - they don't command a high price tag.

Hopefully you didn't pay anywhere close to asking price? I did a quik search on eBay and found these brand new 17" 10 Spoke M5 Rep wheels in Chrome for only $579 - so simple silver painted wheels would be even less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-FI...ltDomainQ5f100

And unless you have a witness, what was, or wasn't actually said over the phone during conversation (unless they are texts and you saved them) is now her word against yours. Court will go with whom they judge as more believable in the absence of any 'hard' proof. If you have ever watched any of the silly small claims court judge shows on TV you will know just what I'm talking about...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #17
JetBlack335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sapphire Black 535xi

Epic fail on the part of the buyer. You are MORE responsible for knowing what you are purchasing than the seller. Good luck in small claims. No one twisted your arm in that deal, you bought it willingly. A majority of people know that rim style only came on M5s. It's not her fault you didn't do your homework.

Furthermore, you didn't question why the car went back without those fresh OEM wheels?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
As an example: I just sold a set of Enkei wheels that were used on my Wife's Sebring that we traded in. I acurately listed all pertinant numbers such as diameter, width, bolt circle, & offset and the condition.

I also printed in my description that 'Will fit many other makes/models/years of cars. However, I am not responsible for wheel fitment for your application - please make sure these wheels are appropriate for your individual vehicle'. I have no idea what cars these would all fit on (only that they fit 2004 Sebring) and I am not gonna give any recommendations either as I could be wrong.

Guy that came looked them up & down, liked the wheels/their condition & was not putting them on a Sebring. I left it up to him as to whether they fit his car or not.

If, by any chance he comes and wants his $$ back because they don't fit - he's not getting it - not my problem he didn't do his homework. Not being shady at all - stated right up front I had no idea what other cars they fit...

People have to take responsibility for their own actions and not try and blame someone else for their own shortcomings. If they did, the U.S. courts wouldn't be so jammed, and attorneys wouldn't be cleaning up come payday.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Those are pretty standard winter replica wheels. Most tire shops around here sell those as part of winter tire/wheel packages. The price would have been the first giveaway as most used OEM packages I've seen for sale tend to go for a higher amount (generally $1500-$2000 from what I've seen) as they usually cost well over $3000 new at the dealer.

That said, $1200 is not a bad price, as that set new at a tire shop would have cost about $1800-$2000 assuming those are runflat winter tires included with it.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks!
Sorry to see you are having problems. However, I don't see how you can win I say this because ...

A) Nowhere in her add did she say "Original OEM Equipment"
B) When you picked them up you should have checked all wheels are marked (engraved on the backside of the spokes) with the OEM name.
C) A OEM Winter Tire set will set you back with tax over $3,000.00

You know what they say "You get what you pay for"

Example, in 2005 I paid over $3000.00 with tax for a OEM winter tire set at BMW.

I just purchased 4 new BMW replica wheels 18x8 with 40 Offset for $575.00 and ordered my winter tires from TireRack ... delivered to my door for $1,000.00 and change. So I can only share with you that you got your moneys worth. By the time you get your spacers your cost might be same as mine.

I recommend you mount the tires and have a look, I never used spacers on my M3 with the standard same size 18" wheel on all four corners.

Good luck

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-07-2010 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
100% replica.

The real one would have the manufacturer shown on the back of the wheel. BBS, Ronal, etc are the typical rim manufacturers for BMW
+1

OEM markings are found on back side of the spokes

Like on my wheel here ... CLICK

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #22
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

Asking $1,200 o.b.o.

Not gonna be an EZ case:

1st off, no where in print does it state that these are OEM BMW wheels - sure they ARE BMW rims - obviously not GM, Ford, etc.

Also does not state that she purchased them from an authorized BMW dealer

Just because they have M Emblems on them doesn't mean squat - you can buy them oem or rep all day every day and stick them on any rims. Vendors on this forum do that

Also states tires are 'like' brand new - not ARE new & obviously since it states they have been driven on - they aren't new

Bottom line is that Craigslist is usually alot better to buy from over eBay because you have the ability to actually inspect what you're buying before paying. You had the chance to alleviate all this trouble and chose not to for whatever reason. A knowledgeable buyer would have known these were NOT OEM - if you were the knowledgeable buyer - then you should have gone to pick them up - not sent someone who has no idea. There is such a thing as 'Buyer Beware'

In the end, the wheels may be just fine, many reps are very good quality & most are made in Asia - heck, most of the vendor wheels sold here are made in Asia. But difference is - they don't command a high price tag.

Hopefully you didn't pay anywhere close to asking price? I did a quik search on eBay and found these brand new 17" 10 Spoke M5 Rep wheels in Chrome for only $579 - so simple silver painted wheels would be even less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-FI...ltDomainQ5f100

And unless you have a witness, what was, or wasn't actually said over the phone during conversation (unless they are texts and you saved them) is now her word against yours. Court will go with whom they judge as more believable in the absence of any 'hard' proof. If you have ever watched any of the silly small claims court judge shows on TV you will know just what I'm talking about...
+++ 100

This somewhat off Topic ... still worth mentioning

Even the RFT ... designed in Italy and manufactured in Japan

There is even now a Generation 3 of the Bridgestone RFT however only available right now in Japan I'm told the latest and greatest RFT will not even make it onto new BMW cars any time soon (Gary from TireRack told me that).

Even when we purchase a BMW we have to make our research (I did not and ended up with 2 rear cracked rear wheels, however that's another story). The point I am trying to make here yes we do have to make our research before we put our hard earned money on the table.

Appreciate 0