Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > BAD Tire Failure, Possible Compensation?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
sk8board511
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90-Bikes on bikes on bikes

BAD Tire Failure, Possible Compensation?

so was coming back from Mass when i was driving down the highway through New Hampshire when i heard a little "pop", the next thing i know is i'm fishtailing down the
highway. I managed not to hit any of the cars on either side of me and got to the side of the road to see my tire was flat, didn't think anything of it. I was towed the last
50 miles home. it wasn't until i got home that i realized what actually happened. Part of the sidewall on my tire Michelin PS2 was blown out and it unmounted itself
from the rim which is why i had fishtailed. I've never seen this before.

What are my possible options, should i go after michelin to get new tires because of this, or go for something more like also having them pay for the repair to my rim?
The tires were low on tread but still the side wall should not have done this.

Sorry for the big photos wanted the detail to show for the rim damage
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i E90  [8.08]
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
DANG! Glad your ok and nobody else was hurt. I don't have any help with compensation sorry!
      11-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

I'm not an expert at all, but from an amateur inspection.. that tire looks like it went to hell a long time ago, and you probably shouldn't have been driving on it in the first place. How many miles have you clocked on these tires?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
flawlesskid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sport Package

Looks like that tire wasn't seated properly. Has it ever been dismounted for a flat repair or anything?I'd be going after someone. Who did your work?
      11-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
krypt0
Your Text Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, B9S4

Glad you were able to control the car and didn't get into an accident.

Not sure about the warranty for the tire, but here's a start:
Manufacturer Warranty Brochure: http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/MICH1.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
sk8board511
Captain
United_States
Rep

i admit they were low on tread like explained in my OP but the bars weren't reached on the tires as you can see in the last picture, i'm not sure how many miles were clocked on them but its been a bunch. Still having this type of failure is unacceptable for a tire of this degree

i had the tires mounted by Craven before he shipped me the rims, should i go to him and see if id be able to go after the installer? its a bit of a pain in the ass because thats clear across the country
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Consider yourself lucky and buy some new tires. Next time, don't let them get so low.

Honestly, I'm glad you're ok, but we are too quick to blame someone for every little thing.

File this under, "shit happens."
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
flawlesskid
Private First Class
Rep

The tread on those tires are not at an unsafe level and definitely not at a point of failure. The only think that would explain a failure of the type is a poor dismount attempt. If that wasn't the case, get a new set and thank got for your safety. That sucks I know.
      11-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

So you drove on clearly unsafe tires, had a blowout and now want to blame someone else?

It is obvious that the tires are not wearing evenly and should have been replaced long ago.

Your tires suffered a catastrophic failure. Consider yourself lucky that nobody got hurt.

In the future, swap your tires earlier and you won't have wheel damage.

Appropriate maintenance pays off in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flawlesskid View Post
The tread on those tires are not at an unsafe level and definitely not at a point of failure. The only think that would explain a failure of the type is a poor dismount attempt. If that wasn't the case, get a new set and thank got for your safety. That sucks I know.
Your kidding, right? That tire was toast a long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
sk8board511
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
So you drove on clearly unsafe tires, had a blowout and now want to blame someone else?

It is obvious that the tires are not wearing evenly and should have been replaced long ago.

Your tires suffered a catastrophic failure. Consider yourself lucky that nobody got hurt.

In the future, swap your tires earlier and you won't have wheel damage.

Appropriate maintenance pays off in the long run.
How were they not wearing evenly? The tread is even around the whole tired, and the only part being "unsafe" would be the fact they they were close to the wear bars. Its not that i'm looking for someone to blame i just expect a tire that is supposed to be one of the best should hold up even though the tread is low
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
flawlesskid
Private First Class
Rep

Should they be replaced? Yes, but on a dry surface, that is not an unsafe tire, and most certainly not a tire that should experience sidewall failure. That tire looks like its at about 3/32nds. A tires usable life is down to 2/32nds. So yes, it needs replacing, but that doesn't at all explain sidewall failure of that type. I would certainly say that tire may have been run a few lbs short on air. 1 of 2 things might be the answer. Impact damage at some point made the tire weak in that spot (which should have resulted in a knot, but maybe not on a low profile tire like that) or improper dismount (some guy prying at the tire too aggressively).
      11-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
LOL, I'm sorry but I don't think you have a clue about tires, these tires have obliviously been on these rims for a long time. Even if that wasn't the case and they were put on yesterday can you explain why he should be so quick to throw the blame on the tire installed about the "dismount". In talking about tires, dismount would mean the tire wouldn't not be on that rim anymore right? So even if you meant a bad tire "mount", explain that too please.

From what I can see he nailed a huge pothole and pinched the tire between the rim and sliced the sidewall, we see this everyday with low profile tires.

Shit happens, get over it and buy a new tire, Michelin will laugh at you so save yourself the humiliation.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
flawlesskid
Private First Class
Rep

J02 335i i actually have quite a bit of experience with tires. I spent plenty of time doing tire work and a good bit of time at the michelin factory in SC. If you'll notice in the post you quoted, i asked if the tire had be recently repaired which would explain a "dismount". If not, then look at my last post in which i referenced impact damage. So i think we see eye to eye on that fact. If impact damage is the culprit, then it could be covered under road hazzard, but he'd get very little in compensation on the tire based on tread wear, and absolutely nothing on the wheel damage.
      11-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
J02 335i i actually have quite a bit of experience with tires. I spent plenty of time doing tire work and a good bit of time at the michelin factory in SC. If you'll notice in the post you quoted, i asked if the tire had be recently repaired which would explain a "dismount". If not, then look at my last post in which i referenced impact damage. So i think we see eye to eye on that fact. If impact damage is the culprit, then it could be covered under road hazzard, but he'd get very little in compensation on the tire based on tread wear, and absolutely nothing on the wheel damage.
Your last post showed up as soon as I posted mine (of course) I guess I've just never seen a dismount affect a tire? farily hard to damage a sidewall with the tire machines being used these days.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #16
flawlesskid
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J02 335i View Post
Your last post showed up as soon as I posted mine (of course) I guess I've just never seen a dismount affect a tire? farily hard to damage a sidewall with the tire machines being used these days.
In regards to the post timing, heh, shit happens lol. That post clearly was in response to someone else. I've got 2 types of machines in the shop i manage, and you can destroy a tires bead and sidewall on low profile tires if you use the wrong one. I have one that will make short work of dismounting and mounting low profile tires but even that one used wrong can go wrong. Looking at all the factors and him not answering to recent repair/dismount, impact damage is the likely culprit. I'd sign off on a $10 discount on a set of new tires, LOL!
      11-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #17
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
In regards to the post timing, heh, shit happens lol. That post clearly was in response to someone else. I've got 2 types of machines in the shop i manage, and you can destroy a tires bead and sidewall on low profile tires if you use the wrong one. I have one that will make short work of dismounting and mounting low profile tires but even that one used wrong can go wrong. Looking at all the factors and him not answering to recent repair/dismount, impact damage is the likely culprit. I'd sign off on a $10 discount on a set of new tires, LOL!
We have two different Coats machines at my shop, and I have yet to see a damaged tire come out of our shop in 14 years, but I guess it can happen, but I'm also positive he hit a pothole or some other object on the road to cause that issue.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #18
UrHookUp
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Looks like an impact area by the grazing in the rubber. If you weren't already into the wear bars, you could get something from Michelin. If the tread isn't below 3/32 you still may. But I would pay for Road Hazard on your next set, that cover this,
I am a tire dealer, but just for Goodyear brand.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #19
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
To me it's kinda obvious that you had a bubble on the inside wall and since you didn't know about it it finally blew up. You could've had this for 1000 miles and kept on driving. Lucky you didn't crash. I doubt anyone will cover this. Bubbles are result of hitting something, the metal cords break, and there you go... hardly a manufacturer's fault..

BTW, his thread is fine, yeah it's marginal but only problem he'd have would be in rain with more aquaplaning. Come on, he can wear this off to slicks and then to cords and THEN it'll blow up.

Last edited by Tallest; 11-07-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #20
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by research View Post
To me it's kinda obvious that you had a bubble on the inside wall and since you didn't know about it it finally blew up. You could've had this for 1000 miles and kept on driving. Lucky you didn't crash. I doubt anyone will cover this. Bubbles are result of hitting something, the metal cords break, and there you go... hardly a manufacturer's fault..

BTW, his thread is fine, yeah it's marginal but only problem he'd have would be in rain with more aquaplaning. Come on, he can wear this off to slicks and then to cords and THEN it'll blow up.
+1
At the top of the rip it looks like there was some bubbling. Chances are that Michelin will just point to this and not pay you anything. Sadly I dont think there is much you can do but repair the wheel and get a new set of tires yourself
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #21
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

I agree with the OP that nomatter how worn down the tires are, the sidewall should NOT blow out like that..EVER...bubbles are one thing, but usually those are visible and able to be felt from the outside. And, that tire has plenty of life left on it! I usually don't replace my tires until all the useable tread is gone...I'm sure once I have kids (valuable cargo) I'll replace them sooner..but that is beyond the point. The OP's tires are not nearly close to 'needing' to be replaced.

FWIW, here are my NT05's that I just pulled off...no issues at all, except for rain.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
flawlesskid
Private First Class
Rep

When i'm out in my tire shop, i've seen some terrible tires, and that one isn't close to bad in my eyes. I can tell you that my rear tires will be close to racing slicks before i replace them. I got other things to get done.