E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Service Engine soon: P0012 code

11-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, GT350, Tesla M3P

Service Engine soon: P0012 code

Hey guys, this is the first issue I have ran into while being out of warranty. I have searched around, and there isn't too much info on this regarding the E90. I had the SEL come on this morning on a cold start, car running perfectly fine, and I had the code read at autozone. The printout that the guy gave me said
Definition:
"A" Camshaft position - timing over-retarded bank 1.

Explanation:
Camshaft actuator failure

Probable Cause:
Mechanical timing condition

Is all this fancy talk for me needing a camshaft position sensor for the intake cam? I gather it can't be an issue with the VANOS since car is running smoothly with no rough idle. I really want to avoid the dealer and was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction on how to resolve this and if its alright to drive like this for a little bit?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Sounds like VANOS. DIY will be tough because you will be dealing with pressurized oil lines. Also you need to track down the actual failed component. Go find an indy shop with good reviews and let them take care of it or at least try and figure out what is actually broken.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep

Oh boy, so it begins!

A coworker of mine knows a BMW tech, he is gonna take a look at it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I would guess it is the cam shaft sensor. Now which one, exhaust or intake? That is why you should invest in a BT scan tool or peake too. See my sig. below.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
I would guess it is the cam shaft sensor. Now which one, exhaust or intake? That is why you should invest in a BT scan tool or peake too. See my sig. below.
I believe the "A" in the definition means its the intake sensor. I talked to that tech yesterday and he told me one of the first tests they do is switch the sensors and see if that does anything. Another thing they do is load software which adds some extra logic to clean out the VANOS system of dirt particles. Guess I will find out tonight what the dilly is.

I do plan on getting the BT tool, mainly for instances like this and doing the battery registration.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep

So the light turned off by itself.. I will wait till it goes on again (hoping it doesn't).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #7
tosaytheleased
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Same code as well.

Tried cleaning them from the DIY on here but no luck. Hopefully both replacements I purchased fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I've done all those things and more, to no avail. Dealer can't even diagnose it. My next choice, but one I am still not taking on, is Dr. Vanos, replacement. I've swapped and replaced sensors. Works for about 500 miles. I've run some extra cleaners through the oil just before oil changes, no help.
Appreciate 0