Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Milwaukee weather - winter tires needed?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
bimwxyz
Registered
Rep
Drives: black 328i coupe 2009

Smile Milwaukee weather - winter tires needed?

Hey all,

New to the forums, so excuse me if this has been answered ad nauseum. I'll get the hang of it.

But I'm thinking of getting some winter tires (recently moved to Milwaukee), but:

a) am not sure if it's necessary (as I have all seasons)

or

b) if so, should I go with the tirerack.com recommendations?
i.e. downsize to 16" rial salerno's with Blizzak LM-25s
(quoted about $1460 from a local BMW dealer)

or

b) should I stick with some 17" rims (have the stock rims ('09 328i coupe)) and Blizzak's?

I appreciate any input!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Last time I was in Milwaukee, there was no snow plowing because the county was broke and trying to save money. I would get real snow tires like Blizzak WS60.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Probably not necessary, but just like any vehicle, adding winter tires will totally transform how it behaves in the snow and ice. With all-seasons you'll get from A to B most likely, but there will be some sketchy moments occasionally.

I discovered winter tires about 6 years ago and I will NEVER use an all season tire again in MN. It makes driving in almost any winter condition a non-issue. They are not magic, but the increase in grip and driving confidence is downright amazing. I can almost guarantee you will not regret buying them.

As for 16" or 17", it's not going to matter much (snow/ice performance wise) if you keep the tire width similar or the same. It's really more of an aesthetic issue, and you pay extra to have a better look with the 17"ers
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
Probably not necessary, but just like any vehicle, adding winter tires will totally transform how it behaves in the snow and ice. With all-seasons you'll get from A to B most likely, but there will be some sketchy moments occasionally.
Did you read what you wrote? Let me translate for you.

"Probably not necessary, with the all season tires there is a slight possibility that you might arrive at your destination alive but there will be several close calls."

To the OP

Watch this video and decide for yourself.

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=23&tab=winter
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Milwaukee is bad for snow and ice removal. My cousin rocks Hakka RSi on her Honda, and even then it's sketchy. I had Blizzak LM-22s on my BMW in Boston, and they weren't great in deeper snow.

I'd get serious snow tires there. Hakkas are THE best. And narrower tires are better, don't run a wider rear tire.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 11-09-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
jeffvb9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW x4m comp

I have OEM sport setup with 18" up front 18.5" in the rear with Blizzak LM-25s. I am in Kansas City and have no issues with that setup unless the snow gets above 6 inches which is rare.
Appreciate 0