E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > for those who like a good challenge

11-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

for those who like a good challenge

[edit: solved. phew!]

DTC error, SES light, brake error, tire pressure error, blinker issue, "brake" error light: happened all at once

i need a dr. house for my car. I was in a fairly minor front end collision a few weeks ago. While driving it to bmw auto body, the SES light came on. Got to the auto body and had them run a diagnostic. came back w/ a bad ignition coil (coincidence i'm sure). found a DIY on the forum so i ordered a coil while the front end was getting repaired. Picked up the car tonight from the auto body, replaced the faulty coil immediately and the engine was running fine again. BUT the SES light is still on. Thought maybe i need to reset the SES light so I disconnected the negative terminal w/ the lame hope that that would solve it. Obviously no luck, and worse yet--when i started the car again, I got the triangle/exclamation mark/circle logo, the yellow brake light, and the SES light, all permanently illuminated. I traded one error light for three

Used the stalk to check errors and i'm getting errors on tyre pressure, brakes, DSC and a second brake error

Also, when i put a blinker on and make a turn, the blinker doesn't automatically shut off anymore. I'm sure there's more problems than that but that's the only one that was obvious on my 5 minute drive home that was mostly spent weeping.

Please help if you have any ideas. It looks like my DSC is krunked but I don't understand why it would be.

Last edited by 325high; 11-11-2010 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep

btw, it's def possible that they messed something up when replacing my hood, fender, and right quarterpanel. These errors came on before i even pulled out of the lot but the fact that i changed the coil and disconnected the battery opens up a world of possibility. Damn me!

Last edited by 325high; 11-09-2010 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Could be a few things, but I doubt it has anything to do with fender, hood, quarter panel unless they removed wheel (which they probably did). Then, perhaps they damaged wheel speed sensor wiring. If not, then I don't think the work they did is the cause.

Remving the battery could have an outside chance of causing these errors. If you know someone who has BT tool, have them clear codes and see if errors come back.

Since you were in a collison, it could be a few things as well:

1. wheel speed sensor damaged
2. Wheel bearung damaged
3. DSC computer damaged from shock (send to modulemasters.com to get checked or fixed $150-$300). It's located on the driver's side, under the cover near windshield, easy to remove.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Priority 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

All those extra errors happen everytime you reconnect the battery. if you just drive off they will go away, or you can turn off you car completely remove the key and restart it and that should work as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priority 1 View Post
All those extra errors happen everytime you reconnect the battery. if you just drive off they will go away, or you can turn off you car completely remove the key and restart it and that should work as well.
YES! You're right, all except the SES light is gone now. I originally thought that the rest of the errors were caused by disconnecting the battery so I took a joy ride for about 30 minutes hoping it would just go away. it didn't so i panicked. But i just tried again, and they shut off after a few turns.

So do you guys know if i need to reset the SES light after an ignition coil change? Or do you think there's still an unresolved issue?

Thanks for your help. This forum is so friggin helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Priority 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

I'd think that if you replaced the correct coil that the error would eventually go away on its own. Did the error code say which cylinder was defective?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ya i replaced the correct coil and it runs fine now (horribly before). SES light is still there but i'm hoping it'll just go away on its own. otherwise, my SA said it'll need to be reset. I'm done paying $90 to the dealership for a 3 min tool hookup so i'll just wait til xmas to get one of my own and i'll reset it myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the SES light finally went out on its own. My car is back in business, baby
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The procedures for replacing coils, O2 sensors, and the like call for resetting the fault code(s) prior to making the repair (prior to starting the engine after replacing the part). If you are going to work on your car and make these type of repairs then you should get a scan tool to clear codes.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The procedures for replacing coils, O2 sensors, and the like call for resetting the fault code(s) prior to making the repair (prior to starting the engine after replacing the part). If you are going to work on your car and make these type of repairs then you should get a scan tool to clear codes.
i'm asking my fiancee for one for xmas. any suggestion on the peake tool vs the BT tool?
Appreciate 0