Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > is this bad?? looks like a crack in rim!!!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

is this bad?? looks like a crack in rim!!!

so i got my car used about a year ago and have a warranty until 2012 or 160,000km...at the beginning of the summer i got new rims so the OEM ones were changed by a professional garage and put into bags for the summer...today i was cleaning them to get ready to put them back on for winter and i saw what looks like two pretty big cracks on the inner lip of one of the rims (one crack is a lot bigger than the other)...it could have been there from the previous owner for all i know, but i never looked there before...

my questions are:

1) is this really bad?? like to the point where i shouldn't mount it?

2) is there any way it might be covered under warranty of any kind? (i dont believe i have any extra tire/rim warranty)

any help is greatly appreciated,
here are some pics:
Attached Images

11-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Thats for sure cracked.

Id at least get it welded before rolling around on it, and if the dealer sold u the car with those rims they should be able to get it fixed for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
The rim is cracked and I would not recommend driving on them. I would rather recommend you get them replaced just in case.

-Charles@VMRWheels
      11-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelly View Post
so i got my car used about a year ago and have a warranty until 2012 or 160,000km...at the beginning of the summer i got new rims so the OEM ones were changed by a professional garage and put into bags for the summer...today i was cleaning them to get ready to put them back on for winter and i saw what looks like two pretty big cracks on the inner lip of one of the rims (one crack is a lot bigger than the other)...it could have been there from the previous owner for all i know, but i never looked there before...

my questions are:

1) is this really bad?? like to the point where i shouldn't mount it?

2) is there any way it might be covered under warranty of any kind? (i dont believe i have any extra tire/rim warranty)

any help is greatly appreciated,
here are some pics:
Looks like your car is 4 years old therefore no hope for a warranty claim here. You best get yourself a new set of wheels, by the looks of this wheel some of your other wheels may also have cracks or soon will have cracks. (I edited this after seeing the age of the car)

I had 2 wheel cracks after 18,000 KM see photos in my garage. One was replaced under warranty the other was not.

Here is a photo of the wheel that cracked on me I am still waiting for BMW to give me my money back ... Long story CLICK

One more thing, clean up the spokes inside your wheel and find the year of manufacture my wheel (photo below) was made in Oct. 2008 (dots represent the month)

My wheel is a BMW Style 296 made in Oct. 2008 Click for Photo

My wheels are 19 inch running on RFT (not for long any more).

Many wheel crack stories just Google "UK Watchdog Cracked Wheels" and read all about it.

Whatever you do do NOT have it welded get a new wheel. Also check all your other wheels for cracks. They always crack in the same area (inside outer rim diameter, it is the weakest link on your wheel).

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-15-2010 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Added one more photo
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
Thats for sure cracked.

Id at least get it welded before rolling around on it, and if the dealer sold u the car with those rims they should be able to get it fixed for you.
+1 ... looks like more then 1 crack, perhaps 2 or even 3.

He should clean up all 4 wheels and carefully check them for cracks. Then get a quote for a new set of wheels.

I certainly would not drive another mile with them there wheels

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Very bad. There are places on the net you can get a refinished one for $267. All in all not that bad
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Very bad. There are places on the net you can get a refinished one for $267. All in all not that bad
I think his problem is more severe then one wheel. The pictures (if you look close) he posted show more then one crack. I am almost convinced there are more cracks on his other wheels as well. Time for him to clean all his wheels and have a closer look then get a new set of wheels.

Driving his car will not be safe for him or others on the road.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
BOOSTED4DR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Definitely cracked, fix them and take off those harsh runflats
      11-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

What OEM wheels are those?

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Throw them in the garbage and get some new ones!
      11-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
What OEM wheels are those?
OEM BMW style 159 i believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
Throw them in the garbage and get some new ones!
just got new summers im not ready to go all out again so soon..esp for winter rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED4DR View Post
Definitely cracked, fix them and take off those harsh runflats
i switched to hankook ventus v12's for my summer tires and ya i know hugeeeee difference without the runflats there for summer..but the last thing i want is to have to change a tire in a -20c blizzard when the snow comes here soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
where can you get it for that cheap??
      11-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

Cracked wheel = unsafe to drive on.... If there is no visible or measurable point of impact to cause those cracks, its most definitely a structural issue that you should be able to warranty, assuming that the car has a warranty. If you've hit something with the wheel (yes its very obvious when you spin it, no matter how careful you say you are), then its basis for denying warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
Rice&Pumkin
LionLungz
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & 450H

replace wheel