Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Stay away from these tires!!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
michal12
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Stay away from these tires!!

Just wanted to give warning to everybody considering buying Hankook W300 Ice Bears.
Last week I put these on my M Sport 193 M wheels. These tires are awful. I noticed diference in handling immediately (compared to my summer Bridgestones)– traction control flashing everywhere resulting in loss of power and in the wet they are plain nightmare. Cannot change direction from one lane to another while accelerating as you will get sideways immediately. Also, braking in a turn on highway at highway speeds– forget about it otherwise you will get couple of heart-stopping moments.
Incredibly bad tires. Did not know brand new tires sold in 2010 can be this bad. I am pissed. I will be losing USD 660 plus I have to buy another set from decent manufacturer!!

Last edited by michal12; 11-16-2010 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

You know tires are a little slippery for the first few hundred miles, don't you? Even so, it sounds like these might be ones to avoid. When I put my Dunlop Winter 3D's on for the first time, the difference was so slight, it was hardly noticable.

I hope it works out for you.
      11-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
only1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z06, 09 e90335i

really. I have these on my 335i for winter with 400rwhp and 420rwtq with no issues at all, mind you i drive with traction control off.

They should get better.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
jeffvb9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW x4m comp

I have used those winters for 2 straight winters without any issues at all. Been in some pretty deep stuff for a BMW too.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Atsnow
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, 2010 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12 View Post
Just wanted to give warning to everybody considering buying Hankook W300 Ice Bears.
Last week I put these on my M Sport 193 M wheels. These tires are awful. I noticed diference in handling immediately (compared to my summer Bridgestones)– traction control flashing everywhere resulting in loss of power and in the wet they are plain nightmare. Cannot change direction from one lane to another while accelerating as you will get sideways immediately. Also, braking in a turn on highway at highway speeds– forget about it otherwise you will get couple of heart-stopping moments.
Incredibly bad tires. Did not know brand new tires sold in 2010 can be this bad. I am pissed. I will be losing USD 660 plus I have to buy another set from decent manufacturer!!
All the latest winter tire tests rate these dead last (on par with the cheap Chinese brands) and the number one complaint is that they are slippery on both wet and dry
you should have done your research
Appreciate 0