BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

BPM

11-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

winter tires

Hello.

I have a E92 on order, expect its delivery in January (ordered on Nov 7th). I live in Fort Collins. I a new to Colorado, only been here 2 months, new to BMW, M3, rear wheel drive car (had many jeep wranglers before), new to V8. Currently driving a 2002 Subaru WRX around. I'm from Pennsylvania, and so far, Colorado's front range weather has been almost exactly as I remember it in PA.

What do other M3 owners do in Colorado in the winter time?
  • Put away the M3 for the entire winter?
  • Switch out current wheels with winter tires?
  • Switch out wheels and tires?

What winter tires do Colorado M3 owners like the best? I don't plan on snow driving, but certainly cold weather driving. My order also has the ZCP package, so if I swap tires, I'll be swapping them on 19s.

I really dislike the many after-market wheels. Maybe I should try and find a cheap pair of BMW 18s?

If you switch tires, who do you have do your mount and balance? BMW service? What does that run?

Thanks for any advice.. and maybe see you on the road come January!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Gladius
Two Wheels or Four?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Perf Edition m240i

I don't put the car away, but I don't drive it on snowy days - I have a jeep for that.
In my E46 M3, I had separate snow tires on a separate set of wheels, so I could swap them when I wanted, and not have to pay someone every spring and fall to mount/dismount tires.
There are a couple tire places in Boulder that have a lot of experience with luxury/larger wheels. Bimmerhaus no longer likes to deal with the 19s because they damage their mounting machine. They charge about $100 to mount/balance tires. Discount Tire or other would be cheaper, but I don't trust them with my wheels.
Overall it's cheaper and more convenient to get a second set of wheels with snow tires if you're going to drive the car in the winter.
Don't trust your summer high perf tires in the cold, even if there is no snow, they don't deal with the cold well and you'll lose quite a bit of traction even on a dry street in the cold.

Current: '18 AW Performance Edition m240i
Gone: '15 Mineral Grey m235i || '07 Silver Grey M Coupe || '11 Space Grey 328i XDrive || '08 SparkG M3 || '01 LSB M3 || '01 TiAg 330ci
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
mpardun
CO 14GIPPR
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 ///M3

+1 for second set of winter wheels/tires/tpms

I am coming off a RWD '08 335i. I tried my first winter with OEM summers and could barely drive in 1" of snow. Bought a set of 18" cast AL wheels at Discount Tire with some Blizzak LM22's. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE on accel, cornering and braking! While not a deep snow car, it was totally usable on our typical 2-6" CO front range storms. Decent on the cold but dry (90% of CO winter living) and good in slop and slush.

I am 2 weeks away from taking delivery of an '11 e90 and am mounting some 19" Blizzak's LM60's on my ZCP's...a great excuse to buy a full forged summer set up with some great summer rubber and put them on in April/May.
      11-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpardun View Post
I am coming off a RWD '08 335i. I tried my first winter with OEM summers and could barely drive in 1" of snow. Bought a set of 18" cast AL wheels at Discount Tire with some Blizzak LM22's. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE on accel, cornering and braking! While not a deep snow car, it was totally usable on our typical 2-6" CO front range storms. Decent on the cold but dry (90% of CO winter living) and good in slop and slush.

I am 2 weeks away from taking delivery of an '11 e90 and am mounting some 19" Blizzak's LM60's on my ZCP's...a great excuse to buy a full forged summer set up with some great summer rubber and put them on in April/May.
I'd really like to hear your experience with the ZCP and Blizzaks. Maybe I'll bug you around the new year for some feedback if you don't mind.

I just hate to put some cheap wheels on a $65k car and a second set of BMW OEM wheels are probably mega monies.

Are you having BMW mount the Blizzaks on delivery day? If so, they doing it for free?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
mpardun
CO 14GIPPR
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 ///M3

sure

sure, no problem...I agree.

I am doing Performance Center delivery and as soon as the car gets back to Denver (Murray), they are mounting and balancing the tires (ordered from TireRack w/ Road Hazzard). As I did not buy them from Murray (nor did I buy my car there), they charge a very reasonable $85 to roadforce balance and mount the tires.

Will have them on by 12/7/10
      11-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpardun View Post
sure, no problem...I agree.

I am doing Performance Center delivery and as soon as the car gets back to Denver (Murray), they are mounting and balancing the tires (ordered from TireRack w/ Road Hazzard). As I did not buy them from Murray (nor did I buy my car there), they charge a very reasonable $85 to roadforce balance and mount the tires.

Will have them on by 12/7/10
Cool. You'll get back just in time for your 1200 mile service!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
AWD = FUN in snow. RWD not so much but possible with good snow tires.

My preference is Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds for their excellent snow/ice performance and superior handling (compared to other snow tires including Blizzaks, IME), when the roads are not snow/ice covered.
Yea, if I can get my hands on a set of 18-inch OEM wheels, then I probably consider PA3s or Sport3Ds, but at 19-inch, your options are limited.

I am still not convinced buying a set of OEM wheels is cheaper than paying for mount and balance twice a year in the long run, granted that the service doesn't damage the wheels doing the mount/balance.

I just really dislike like after-market wheels, even expensive ones. Plus, I don't plan on snow driving, just cold weather driving, or if I accidentally get caught in a storm on my way home, so I'll probably just go with the 19 Blizzaks unless mpardun says in a month their the worse tires in the world.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
Gladius
Two Wheels or Four?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Perf Edition m240i

The extra set of wheels is a convenience - you don't have to haul the wheels and tires around twice a year, and you can procrastinate til the night before a big storm to switch them on

Current: '18 AW Performance Edition m240i
Gone: '15 Mineral Grey m235i || '07 Silver Grey M Coupe || '11 Space Grey 328i XDrive || '08 SparkG M3 || '01 LSB M3 || '01 TiAg 330ci
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

NT-01's are not good for winter
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #10
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'm getting 18" wheels w Dunlop Wintersport M3s installed on Monday, staggered setup because most of the 6 months will be on dry pavement. I will be driving through the Rockies next week. Hope I made the right purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
mongui56
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i gran coupe

[QUOTE=robackja;8344371]Hello.

I have a E92 on order, expect its delivery in January (ordered on Nov 7th). I live in Fort Collins. I a new to Colorado, only been here 2 months, new to BMW, M3, rear wheel drive car (had many jeep wranglers before), new to V8. Currently driving a 2002 Subaru WRX around. I'm from Pennsylvania, and so far, Colorado's front range weather has been almost exactly as I remember it in PA.

What do other M3 owners do in Colorado in the winter time?

I live in St. Louis, and I have a set of wheels and snow tires that I use from december to March. Works well, as long as 3 inches or less are in the ground.You may consider when driving using the "automatic" control instead of the paddles.
If more than 3 inches, I use an old 4-runner, or if ice is present....it stays warm in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
mongui56
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i gran coupe

Good point about having the extra set of wheels, I had them in my old E46 M3 and I did the same. Have 19" inch "summer" tires, and 18" winter wheels and Blizzaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

I had to drive my M to work on Sunday because I had could not find a ride and plus my girl was driving my truck and guess what, my M is stuck in a parking lot on Buckley AFB. I wont go at all! Normally I would drive the M in snow because I have my truck but this time I had to. So, I know I need to either definitely need to get a snow set up for the M or I need to make sure that I keep my truck available.

We had no snow at all until I got the M and since then, its been like fucking Alaska around here!
      01-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

I'm fortunate enough to have a little 99 Subaru Impreza to drive when there's any snow on the ground. Dedicated winter tires would be my next best option.
      01-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #15
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
We had no snow at all until I got the M and since then, its been like fucking Alaska around here!
You are not kidding. Colorado is RIDICULOUSLY cold right now. The day I pick up my ///M, low temperature of -9F. I had Blizzak's put on when I took delivery. I bought 235/35R19 and 255/35R19, thinking a little smaller for the snow driving, but with ZCP wheels, they seem a bit stretched.

Now, I slip a little bit because the snow has basically turned into a 1-inch thick sheet of ice with the highs in the 10-15F and lows below 0F, but overall, I haven't had any trouble getting around. I just don't seem to have the time to put 1200 miles on this thing soon enough!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have to say, the Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds have been fabulous (staggered 18" setup). Even on an icy slushy steep hill (with dirt underneath the ice), I was able to just turn off the traction control and burn my way up. (And haven't had to do even that otherwise, on ice pack, snowpack, powder and slush.)

The M3 is great in the snow! None of the 3 other RWD cars I had could come close to this kind of snow-mobility.

(OTOH, the Contis I have on my ZCP rims would slip on a little blowing snow dust. They don't like cold wet at all.)

This cold weather has been not an issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #17
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I was a die hard wintersport user but decided to try the michelin pilot winters. What a mistake! Although they are pretty decent on dry salty roads, they handle like crap in any sort of snow or wetness, and I get stuck all the time. I cant wait to get the wintersports back on.
      01-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
///MC
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
I have to say, the Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds have been fabulous (staggered 18" setup). Even on an icy slushy steep hill (with dirt underneath the ice), I was able to just turn off the traction control and burn my way up. (And haven't had to do even that otherwise, on ice pack, snowpack, powder and slush.)

The M3 is great in the snow! None of the 3 other RWD cars I had could come close to this kind of snow-mobility.
Agreed on the Wintersport 3Ds. I drive the m3 daily and have had no issue at all with ice or snow. The car handles better then my wifes A4 with all-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #19
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

+1 more on the Dunlops, though I don't drive the M3 in the snow my past BMW's have had snows on them. I'm driving my truck this winter, can't bring myself to drive this thing in the crap. It's not the snow or ice or even the salt, it's the road debris and idiotic driving. The tow vehicle has ground clearance and most other vehicles will bounce off. Win.
      02-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #20
Mile High M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3

I also rock the Dunlop's in the winter with my E46 M3. I swap mine out every season as I only have one set of rims at the moment. I am glad for the winter tires though, makes a world of difference. Though when the weather is bad as it is today, I drive the truck as I then don't have to worry about anyone hitting me and damaging the ///M. If someone hits my truck, not a big deal.