BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
EgoPaintedGrey
Rep
Drives: 125i

Is it normal?

Hello to everyone, this is my first thread here. Tried to use the search but I guess maybe Iīm using the wrong keywords.
Well, the thing is I have a 125i and when driving sometimes the heat from the engine gets to the console (radio), and the driver side. When I get off the car and touch the hood (near the intake) itīs really hot. So I was wondering if Iīm being too paranoid, or it isnīt normal. (This is my first l6 engine)

Thank you in advance, please donīt be mad if the answer is "what did u expect from a 3.0 l6".
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoPaintedGrey View Post
sometimes the heat from the engine gets to the console (radio), and the driver side.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but my wife's radio in her e90 can get a bit warm. That is the radio itself though and nothing from the engine and far from what I would call hot.

Quote:
When I get off the car and touch the hood (near the intake) itīs really hot.
That would generally be where your radiator is which is where the engine dissipates much of it's heat. If your hood doesn't have a heat shield on it (padding on the underside of the hood), then yes the hood can get pretty hot if you've been driving hard and/or for a significant period of time.

So in short, maybe

If you are really concerned though, get it warmed up to that point and swing by the dealer and have a SA/tech tell you for sure if they think it is a problem or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
EgoPaintedGrey
Rep
Drives: 125i

Thanks for the answer, the car has no heat shield on the hood so I assume the heat may be normal then.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Mine also gets pretty hot inside the car on that 'bump' on the driver's side center console below the dash.

I think it may be partly heat from the radio amp, and partly heat from the transmission as it's pretty close on that side especially.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i automatic

Mine gets a little hot too. Its like a small area under the middle dash. I think its normal in this car.