E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > advice urgently needed

11-27-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

Garage List
advice urgently needed

Hi had car booked in today for 4 falken 452 going from runflats however 3 was fitted and the last wheel they found a crack r off side! so now I am stuck with 3 new non run flats and one old runflat until I can source or repair the wheel , is this safe if i stick to 50 and can anyone help with a spare wheel ?
Plus is it ok to get it welded or not?
obviously upon contacting bmw my warranty will not cover this !!
may thanks

si
      11-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

Firstly better you do not drive the car at all with a cracked wheel, might fail upon further impact!

Get a spare wheel from somewhere (so long as the same rolling circumference) you can at least 'limp' around locally - but having mismatched tyres, especially on the same axle will not be good.

If is welded and repaired correctly then it should be fine, but will need some good balancing.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

If your car is still under warranty, then no reason why BMW will not replace the wheel as it has been on run flats prior to cracking. Problem you might have is proving it has been on run flats when the rest are now on falkens.

When my 18's cracked aged ago, I'd clearly driven a lot of miles on a cracked wheel as it had evidence of corrosion inside the crack - but that's your decision/risk.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys, The car is under warranty with bmw the only thing is the warranty is not from new just extented its on a 55 plate with 42k on the clock when I called my local dealer they said my warranty does not cover wheels its the top one they do with no excess.

Now looking at trying to source a refurbed alloy but not having much luck.

seen all the watchdog reports but they are not budging maybe a call to bmw uk on monday may help but not holding high hopes.
If I had known prior may of bought all new wheels and tyres before forking out 400 quid on the falkens arhh hindsight is a wonderful thing..
      11-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I would give BMW UK a try....

other option, get a new wheel and tyre ...falkens hav got some good reviews on here
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msport View Post
Thanks guys, The car is under warranty with bmw the only thing is the warranty is not from new just extented its on a 55 plate with 42k on the clock when I called my local dealer they said my warranty does not cover wheels its the top one they do with no excess.

Now looking at trying to source a refurbed alloy but not having much luck.

seen all the watchdog reports but they are not budging maybe a call to bmw uk on monday may help but not holding high hopes.
If I had known prior may of bought all new wheels and tyres before forking out 400 quid on the falkens arhh hindsight is a wonderful thing..
Based on what you have said, it rather makes a bit of a mockery of the extended insured warranty imo.

We all appreciate that there will be limitations to any form of 'warranty' supplied by a car manufacturer but I would argue as the cracked alloys are a known issue then some sort of give and take should be applied by bmw, even if meeting half way.

This is a public forum and any potential customers out there may well be put off by such an attitude, and not forgetting yourself who for all they know could well be considering purchasing a new car at some point in the future. The car industry is a very competitive market place and a black and white stance is too rigid imo. By agreeing to replace certain alloy wheels for other customers with newer cars then the precedent has been set as to an admission, or as good as. How much do they pay for the alloys I wonder.

Time to speak to someone in charge and with the authority to take your 'case' higher.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the advice so far like you say they have set the precedent and the situtation needs to be taken higher if anyone else has been in a similar situtation I would be glad to know your outcome ie BMW insured waranty claim.

Thanks again

si
      11-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Have you tried ebay - there are some genuine refurbished wheels on there:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-18-MV3-Gen...item3362508286

Thats a rear, you don't say which is cracked but search on 'genuine MV3' and lots come up for sale.

Might be less hassle than getting yours welded and then refurbished after?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the link it is a rear I need and that one is sold!! was the only single rear alloy on ebay too ...
      11-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Update: Just heard back from BMW and the wheel is outside of parameters at 0.69mm, 0.03mm being the tolerance.
Also due to having only the comprhensive extended warranty wheels are not covered,I have just contacted BMW UK who are now going to talk to the dealer and see what they can do...
watch this space..

si
      11-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Clearly if the dealer is prepared to let you have a new whell at a reasonable price that is the way to go. Otherwise check these people out.

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bmw_alloy_wheels

Genuine wheels at well below dealer prices.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

You can weld these up with no probs.
You dont need much refinishing either, a smart repair will do - its only the inner lip.
If its got a lot of run-out though, it can be pulled out but its going to require a specialst wheel refinisher.

My pal has been re-welding these for local BMW garages long before I even heard about it on TV or a forum
      11-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Day 4 brings me no closer to a conclusion,not covered under warranty as expected now waiting on Germany to make a decision on goodwill gesture.
Not enjoying being with out my car during this cold snap all for an issue that is clearly BMW fault. I am not bitter but they have lost my custom come April !

SImon
      11-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Latest is they are going to pay for a new wheel just need to pay for the run out test and fitting the new tyre £70 so all in all very happy..

thanks for all advice.

si
      11-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Good news!
      11-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msport View Post
Latest is they are going to pay for a new wheel just need to pay for the run out test and fitting the new tyre £70 so all in all very happy..

thanks for all advice.

si
A correct outcome imo Si.
Appreciate 0