E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2009 E91 - Air Con sounds 'different' and annoying piece of paper behind dash-ideas?

12-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
CoopersE90
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 Touring

2009 E91 - Air Con sounds 'different' and annoying piece of paper behind dash-ideas?

Hi folks

Having a number of small but irritating problems that I'd appreciate a bit of help!

2009 e91 320i

Firstly I think a car parking ticket or bit of paper has fallen down at the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen behind the dash, when the air is on 3/4 to full blast it flutters and I can't stand it! Anyone know how much I can prod around there before I make it impossible to do anything with it or have to get the dash out!?

Also, when the air is on and coming through the forward facing vents, it constantly changes 'pitch' from a normal fan sound to a funny duller or higher pitched sound. It just randomly happens no matter what setting the air con is on. It never did this before so hopefully someone can tell me if it is normal or should I go to BMW to check it out.

ce91
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
DazJ
Rep
Drives: E91 320D Le Mans Blue

I have the same fluttering noise as you call it,same vent strangely enough, no idea what it is, but you're spot on when you say it's annoying.

Would be interesting to find out if someone has actually investigated this and rectified the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersE90 View Post
Hi folks

Having a number of small but irritating problems that I'd appreciate a bit of help!

2009 e91 320i

Firstly I think a car parking ticket or bit of paper has fallen down at the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen behind the dash, when the air is on 3/4 to full blast it flutters and I can't stand it! Anyone know how much I can prod around there before I make it impossible to do anything with it or have to get the dash out!?

Also, when the air is on and coming through the forward facing vents, it constantly changes 'pitch' from a normal fan sound to a funny duller or higher pitched sound. It just randomly happens no matter what setting the air con is on. It never did this before so hopefully someone can tell me if it is normal or should I go to BMW to check it out.

ce91
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

I had a parking ticket fall between the screen and dash on my Scirocco, I used another longer piece of stiff paper to reach down and flick it out again...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I wonder, as a couple of you have it, if its a build label flapping about.
You know - the adhesive part and barcode labels they stick onto everything.
There are a few around the vents and trim parts I have had off I noticed.

Steve
      12-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

My fan whistles! The higher the speed the higher the pitch!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
CoopersE90
Private
Rep

Ha! I thought I was the only one with a flutter noise - somewhere on here mentioned there are only 3 nuts to get the WHOLE dash off, but don't know where or how, plus I don't have the balls to do it!

I think the thought it is a build bar code label thing is spot on as I don't think I left a ticket on the dash...who knows. But I can't get a credit card, tweezers, piece of card to grab it so am stumped.

The change of noise through the central vents randomly happens at any fan speed, it goes from a normal fan sound to a 'woofling' sound to a 'skisshing' sound and changes all the time for no apparent reason.

Now I sound nuts....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
CoopersE90
Private
Rep

Ok got a blooming parking ticket out, stuck the fans on full and a road bump made a wee corner poke up - sent the missus in to get some tweasers whilst I stayed in the car and watched it intently! So not a build sticker for me.

Now the fans and sound of the air coming out, i think they are switching between front facing fans and the dash fans even when re-circ isn't on and when the 'up' air flow is not turned on. Guess I have to go to the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I have the flutter issue. sound slike a cooing pigeon almost.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I think the 'pitch' of the fans changing is just because you are using it in 'auto' climate control mode - it is switching air distribution between different outlets trying to maintain the 'set' temperature.

Mine does it and often notice it if the car is ticking over and parked somewhere. If I switch it off auto or select for instance 'windscreen' only outlet, it doesn't seem to happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
CoopersE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
I think the 'pitch' of the fans changing is just because you are using it in 'auto' climate control mode - it is switching air distribution between different outlets trying to maintain the 'set' temperature.

Mine does it and often notice it if the car is ticking over and parked somewhere. If I switch it off auto or select for instance 'windscreen' only outlet, it doesn't seem to happen.
Cool thanks for responding mate - the change in pitch like what happens in auto mode also happens in normal mode (with no air con settings turned on at all) dealer couldn't replicate it, so I am now making a concious effort to not have the radio on when I am dricing around to 'self diagnose' and replicate it.

Will post up here if I have any joy.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 03:29 AM   #11
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

Mine went to the dealers for two days and has come back with no whistle off the heater. However, as they decided to rebuild the dash with the aerial wiring for my DAB Pure Highway buried behind it, the car is going back so that they can strip the dashboard down again, remove the wires, then rebuild it.

Not sure how many hours that will take them or what the bill is. What a pity they are going to have to stump up the costs....
Appreciate 0