E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Heated Seats

02-06-2007, 03:00 AM   #1
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 LCI

Heated Seats

Hi All,
I have a E91 330d M Sport with black leather, I have a query for anyone in the know.

Do the seats have the heated elements in them as standard ?

I ask beacuse I dont have the heated seat switches but on the cold mornings we have had recently I have noticed the seat getting warm for about 5 minutes and then switching off.
If the elements are there then could I just get the control panel with the heated buttons on and plug it in? surely the controls electronics must all be there as the seat is heating up.

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 03:38 AM   #2
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

I'm not sure. If you look on real OEM I'm sure it lists them as seperate (and retrofittable) parts.

Have a peek at: www.realoem.com
      02-06-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, I've already had a look there and it shows the heated seat components. I just have the question because I definately feel the seat heat up for a while, so there must be some kind of element there.

I dont think BMW would manufacture two types of heating element. So the seats must already have the elements in there. Just need to know if there would be any point buying the control panel that will have the heated seat control on.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
Prestige Audio
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Does this only happen after eating curry the night before? If so, my car does the same...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 04:49 AM   #5
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcm View Post
Thanks, I've already had a look there and it shows the heated seat components. I just have the question because I definately feel the seat heat up for a while, so there must be some kind of element there.

I dont think BMW would manufacture two types of heating element. So the seats must already have the elements in there. Just need to know if there would be any point buying the control panel that will have the heated seat control on.
I can't see how you have any form of heated seating, if you don't have the heated seat option installed &, therefore, don't have the front console buttons to heat the 2 front seats.

I think:

1 you must be imagining it
2 you are listening to some really deep bass on your stereo for the first few minutes after getting into your car & the seat vibration, caused by the under-seat subwoofer, is increasing the friction between the leather & your ar*e
3 you have a partly fitted heated seat, without any controls, which BMW must have given to you as a present!

Sorry to be so cheeky, but I really can't see how you have any functional heated seats, unless you have specifically ordered it as an option.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 05:10 AM   #6
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thats whats confusing, there is definately some heat being generated. I'm going to have to look at the wiring going to the seats.

I notice it because it definately gets warm, and I'm only wearing a shirt so first of all feel the ice cold seat before starting the engine, then after about 1 min its warm and lasts for about 5 mins then I feel it cooling down again. So unless my body is generating a lot of heat.

There must be somebody out there experiencing the same thing.

I bought the car from BMW as 2nd owner, it was a fleet car before then. Is there any way I can find out all the options installed ?

BTW the sub is in the boot
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 05:23 AM   #7
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Thats whats confusing, there is definately some heat being generated. I'm going to have to look at the wiring going to the seats.

I notice it because it definately gets warm, and I'm only wearing a shirt so first of all feel the ice cold seat before starting the engine, then after about 1 min its warm and lasts for about 5 mins then I feel it cooling down again. So unless my body is generating a lot of heat.

There must be somebody out there experiencing the same thing.

I bought the car from BMW as 2nd owner, it was a fleet car before then. Is there any way I can find out all the options installed ?

BTW the sub is in the boot
You will be able to get hold of the options list on the car by asking the dealer- give them a call.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Hi All,
I have a E91 330d M Sport with black leather, I have a query for anyone in the know.

Do the seats have the heated elements in them as standard ?

I ask beacuse I dont have the heated seat switches but on the cold mornings we have had recently I have noticed the seat getting warm for about 5 minutes and then switching off.
If the elements are there then could I just get the control panel with the heated buttons on and plug it in? surely the controls electronics must all be there as the seat is heating up.

Thanks for your help

Reflected body heat I think
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #9
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Can't be when the seat cools down again after a few mins. I've had cars with heated seats before and it just struck me as a very familiar feeling.

That warm glow
Appreciate 0