E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > Tirerack suck ass!!!

02-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Tirerack suck ass!!!

so i picked up a set of bbs lm else where. i needed help figuring out how to install the tpm on them. i called tirerack and they said they couldn't help. i spoke to Gary at first. his reply was, he can't help me since i didn't purchase the wheels from them. i thuoght it was just him, so i decided to call again and got another salesman on. he said the same thing. so i made a post about the TPM sensor and vansky answered my question, and even provided me with a part number. Thanks vansky!!! so i got the part number, now its time to order. i call tirerack since they carry a lot of bbs products. i get this comment from them "since i didn't purchase the wheels or the sensors from them, they won't sell me the valve adaptor i need". what a joke...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
BartMack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe, 06 MINI CooperS

dude, I've bought from Tirerack for years, and haven't ever had any issues with the wheels and tires they sent me, unlike some other online houses I've bought from, where I got mismatched parts, bad customer service, etc.

You're complaining about a company you didn't buy from? I'm sorry, but I don't blame them for not helping you

2007 335i Coupe TiAg w/black+silver interior & sport package-Feb or March delivery ...
2006 MINI CooperS vert, Pepper White, Aerokit, ASA wheels & Helix 15% reduction pulley and CAI, Wetokole seatcovers, Sirius & other bits
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

i always think tirerack have very good customer service, (i never call tirerack when i order tire, so it's just what i think) but if that's the case, it
      02-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
BuckJon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMack View Post
dude, I've bought from Tirerack for years, and haven't ever had any issues with the wheels and tires they sent me, unlike some other online houses I've bought from, where I got mismatched parts, bad customer service, etc.

You're complaining about a company you didn't buy from? I'm sorry, but I don't blame them for not helping you
This sounds like bad customer service to me. You should treat everyone as a customer even if they have not purchased something from you. They are more likely to buy from you in the future.

By merely answering a couple of questions from this guy they could have likely sold him some shit.
      02-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Minipuck V 2.0
秘書負責保持它真正
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 快車

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckJon View Post
This sounds like bad customer service to me. You should treat everyone as a customer even if they have not purchased something from you. They are more likely to buy from you in the future.

By merely answering a couple of questions from this guy they could have likely sold him some shit.
I agree. If you open your doors for business, I would think that you would want to make a sale, but maybe tire adaptor valves aren't worth their time to get it for a customer. Like it would be just peanuts so the cost is higher than the profit they would make.

But you just alienate customers by saying "if you didn't buy from us, we won't help you." That is just bad business in my opinion. There is a lot to be said about goodwill and customer service. It goes a long with reputation.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

i've bought a $1200 set of tires from the in 2005 when i first bought my set of wheels else where. does that qualify me to be a customer??? no...i have to buy the rim from them in order for them to help me out. all i can say is 1. tirerack saleman know shit about wheels and only selling the wheels off the catalog or 2. they are straight out assholes.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
BartMack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
i've bought a $1200 set of tires from the in 2005 when i first bought my set of wheels else where. does that qualify me to be a customer??? no...i have to buy the rim from them in order for them to help me out. all i can say is 1. tirerack saleman know shit about wheels and only selling the wheels off the catalog or 2. they are straight out assholes.
2005? So are you coming back 2 years later looking for the necessary parts to put wheels you didn't even buy from them on another car?

If that's the case, I'm even less convinced...

I don't mean to be harsh, really, I just don't understand why you think they owe you help.

Why don't you try the place you actually bought the wheels from-??

2007 335i Coupe TiAg w/black+silver interior & sport package-Feb or March delivery ...
2006 MINI CooperS vert, Pepper White, Aerokit, ASA wheels & Helix 15% reduction pulley and CAI, Wetokole seatcovers, Sirius & other bits
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

IMO this will hurt them more than help them. If they had answered Long's question, he might have told his friends about them (word of mouth) and will continue to do business with them in the future. Now they get a bad rep (at least for us E90post members).

Edit: there's a tire shop near my house and I went to them sometimes asking them to check the tire pressure. They never gave me any trouble or even the hint of not wanting to do it. Did I buy tires/wheels or anything at all from them?? NOPE!!! Like someone's mentioned, if you open your door to the customers, the more money you'll make.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
BartMack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
IMO this will hurt them more than help them. If they had answered Long's question, he might have told his friends about them (word of mouth) and will continue to do business with them in the future. Now they get a bad rep (at least for us E90post members).

Edit: there's a tire shop near my house and I went to them sometimes asking them to check the tire pressure. They never gave me any trouble or even the hint of not wanting to do it. Did I buy tires/wheels or anything at all from them?? NOPE!!! Like someone's mentioned, if you open your door to the customers, the more money you'll make.

Well, not with me anyway. Tirerack has been a sponsor of the MINI forum for years and supports it's customers great as far as I can tell.

I still want to know where he got the rims from and why he can't get help there. Perhaps the $ he thought he saved by not buying from TR in the first place is coming back to bite for all I know. I'm just asking questions to find out the whole story.
If they legitimately screwed him over somehow I'd be on the bandwagon pretty quick BTW.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minipuck V 2.0 View Post
But you just alienate customers by saying "if you didn't buy from us, we won't help you." That is just bad business in my opinion. There is a lot to be said about goodwill and customer service. It goes a long with reputation.
I agree with you completely. If I am looking for information and find people who know their stuff and treated me well, that is exactly where I will be headed when the time comes to make bigger purchases. Even if it costs more. Good customer service and talking to knowledgeable people is worth the extra few $$..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #11
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Well, not with me anyway. Tirerack has been a sponsor of the MINI forum for years and supports it's customers great as far as I can tell.

I still want to know where he got the rims from and why he can't get help there. Perhaps the $ he thought he saved by not buying from TR in the first place is coming back to bite for all I know. I'm just asking questions to find out the whole story.
If they legitimately screwed him over somehow I'd be on the bandwagon pretty quick BTW.
Errrr ... you haven't been around long enough to know about whom you speak. Long changes out wheels like most people change shoes.

I can kind of see their side of the story, they don't want to be liable for crap they didn't sell you ... and I'm sure they've adopted this attitude because of fitment issues between cars. But come on, use your head a little. It's just the TPMS valve. And it's from the manufacturer, for that manufacturer's wheels. It's not like you were asking for hub rings or lug nuts (which I'd still think they should be able to look up and sell you).

In my view, it's the same thing as a walking into a BMW parts dept, asking for a specific part # and then them saying that because I didn't buy the car from them they won't sell it to me. It's a BBS valve stem for a BBS wheel. Not that tough.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

i got the wheels from wheel power. they are local to me. they use to be bbs distrubtor but they stop. so i need to keep buying from tirerack for them to help me? if they found out the right valve i needed, i was going to order it from them. that would make me a customer right? or should i jsut buy something totally wrong just so i can be a customer and return it so i can get the right part?? i hope your day job have nothing to do with referals. cuz if it does, i dont know how you stay in buiness.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #13
Minipuck V 2.0
秘書負責保持它真正
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

The issue isn't so much whether he bought it from there or not. If you apply that across the board, we would always need to go back to the person who sold us merchandise in the first place?

It doesn't make sense, in my eyes at least. It would suck if I bought my car in San Francisco and moved to Los Angeles, that everytime I needed some assistance I would have to go back to San Francisco to get what I needed done.

I think that you have a built a relationship with Tirerack from your Mini Forum and that relationship has flourished. I am sure if you were to buy a set of tires for a good deal compared to Tirerack and you needed assistance, Tirerack would not hesistate to help you (my own assumption).

I think the issue is the customer service is poor and has left a bad taste in Longtran's mouth. He needed assistance and they refused because he secured the tires from someone else (by the way, people sell and trade tires here everyday, not everyone buys brand new retail). I think that is just bad customer service and thats all I am saying.

In my opinion, Tirerack could have helped, but they chose not to. Thats their right to refuse service. That's fine. Long moved on and found someone who would take his business. it is not about Tirerack screwing Long, Long just wasn't happy the way he was treated

Now where do you think Long will go to next time he needs tire help?

I will leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #14
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
so i picked up a set of bbs lm else where. i needed help figuring out how to install the tpm on them. i called tirerack and they said they couldn't help. i spoke to Gary at first. his reply was, he can't help me since i didn't purchase the wheels from them. i thuoght it was just him, so i decided to call again and got another salesman on. he said the same thing. so i made a post about the TPM sensor and vansky answered my question, and even provided me with a part number. Thanks vansky!!! so i got the part number, now its time to order. i call tirerack since they carry a lot of bbs products. i get this comment from them "since i didn't purchase the wheels or the sensors from them, they won't sell me the valve adaptor i need". what a joke...
I can understand how initially they may be reluctant to assist with the wheels and sensors purchased from another vendor. If you had asked for them to give you the part, then they would be within reason to refuse to help. However, refusing to SELL you a part simply because the wheels were purchased elsewhere is poor service.

Just for comparison, how did your original vendor treat you regarding this valve adaptor?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
I can understand how initially they may be reluctant to assist with the wheels and sensors purchased from another vendor. If you had asked for them to give you the part, then they would be within reason to refuse to help. However, refusing to SELL you a part simply because the wheels were purchased elsewhere is poor service.

Just for comparison, how did your original vendor treat you regarding this valve adaptor?
originally these LMs were for my e90. i didnt need TPM then. even though i bought some oem TPM from bmw.

if i follow tirerack's policy. that mean i would have to refuse so many e90ers in socal when they ask me to install their brex or piaa since i sell only pmb...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #16
Minipuck V 2.0
秘書負責保持它真正
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
originally these LMs were for my e90. i didnt need TPM then. even though i bought some oem TPM from bmw.

if i follow tirerack's policy. that mean i would have to refuse so many e90ers in socal when they ask me to install their brex or piaa since i sell only pmb...

too late you broke your policy
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #17
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Hmmm, that's strange.

Why would they not want to sell you the valve adapter? Is it for liability reasons? If so, they could simply have you sign a waiver of responsibility. I thought Tire Rack was an E90post.com supporting vendor.

I wonder if they'll sell me the valve adapters. I have purchased two sets of wheels from them in the past. This is total

Gary, are you reading this?
      02-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #18
BartMack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't make sense, in my eyes at least. It would suck if I bought my car in San Francisco and moved to Los Angeles, that everytime I needed some assistance I would have to go back to San Francisco to get what I needed done.
I'm still a little perplexed To extend your analogy, if you took your San Francisco BMW to the Chevy dealer in Los Angeles, where you most certainly didn't buy it, and wanted warranty support, I suspect they'd not help you, eh?

He didn't buy the rims from TireRack, and he bought the tires 2 years ago for another car for a DIY install. Why would they be obligated to help?? The facts so far do not support the thread title IMO.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #19
Minipuck V 2.0
秘書負責保持它真正
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm still a little perplexed To extend your analogy, if you took your San Francisco BMW to the Chevy dealer in Los Angeles, where you most certainly didn't buy it, and wanted warranty support, I suspect they'd not help you, eh?

He didn't buy the rims from TireRack, and he bought the tires 2 years ago for another car for a DIY install. Why would they be obligated to help?? The facts so far do not support the thread title IMO.
I am a little perplexed by your BMW to Chevy? Aren't we talking about valve stems? If I bought my BMW in SF and took it to a BMW in LA i would expect service. I don't get where got the whole Chevy thing.

I would never take a BMW to a Chevy dealer. Sorry bro, but you aren't making any sense to me. Or maybe I was unclear about my SF to LA analogy only because I live in both places and have had cars serviced at both places.

Tirerack sells tires and wheels do they not? So I buy from one tire dealer, I can't get parts from another tire dealer?

We are talking customer service not support. We are talking about asking someone to help you find a part. Again, all I am saying is that Tirerrack blew it on pleasing their customer.

It's their lost, it doesn't really matter to me. All I am saying is that Tirerack has lost one person's business, and in effect they could be losing a lot more in the future. It is just not smart, thats all I am saying.

EDIT: I have no idea why you talking about warranty support, again, the topic is that Tirerack customer service sucked. You are completed correct in saying that Tirerack had no obligation to help Long with his issue. They refused him service. He went elsewhere. Long had the part number in hand. They REFUSED to serve him

I just hope Tirerack understands that customer service is delighting the customer (or potential customer) in providing them with whatever it is they need to the best or extent of their abilities. Maybe Tirerack didn't feel like they needed a customer and so refused to service it. That's fine, that's their choice.

Again all I am saying and have been saying is that, this is bad customer service that leaves behind a bad reputation. I am not attacking tirerack, just saying the image they give off right now is not a good one. When a customer comes ready to order a part, and you refuse it just goes to show you don't want his business. Those are the facts. Please re-read Long's entry about finding the part number. He just wanted to order the part.

Please stop taking my words and getting defensive over my analogies, these are simply my views and opinions I express. I am feeling frustrated because you taking my words and twisting them around, especially with the Chevy-BMW analogy.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #20
BartMack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am a little perplexed by your BMW to Chevy? Aren't we talking about valve stems? If I bought my BMW in SF and took it to a BMW in LA i would expect service. I don't get where got the whole Chevy thing.

I would never take a BMW to a Chevy dealer. Sorry bro, but you aren't making any sense to me. Or maybe I was unclear about my SF to LA analogy only because I live in both places and have had cars serviced at both places.

Tirerack sells tires and wheels do they not? So I buy from one tire dealer, I can't get parts from another tire dealer?

We are talking customer service not support. We are talking about asking someone to help you find a part. Again, all I am saying is that Tirerrack blew it on pleasing their customer.

It's their lost, it doesn't really matter to me. All I am saying is that Tirerack has lost one person's business, and in effect they could be losing a lot more in the future. It is just not smart, thats all I am saying.

well, of course you wouldn't... (they'd just go off joyriding-!! )

My point is essentially that you were being generic with the wheels and specific with the car make. If I bought an Ipod from Target I can't return it to WalMart (can I? ) He didn't buy at TR in SF and then seek help at TR in LA.... he didn't buy the rims at TR at all. Maybe he should call BBS?

It would've been charitable if TR HAD helped him with his issue, yes, I'll gladly say that, but to trash a vendor for something they aren't responsible for is not fair IMO.

Suppose some valve adaptors (and I don't know) don't work with some rims? Suppose he has more issues? Is it then Tire Rack's fault for perhaps selling him the wrong ones? What if they're not installed correctly and he has a blowout or something? I mean I dunno, I'm sorry that it all happened that way, but they didn't screw him over IMO at all, and don't deserve the headline either.

So far no one else agrees with me anyway, so hey.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #21
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Even though I have always had good experiences with Tire Rack, this instance is all wrong.

Basically it sounds like there are two companies that sell wheels. He chose to buy from company #1, but they have stop selling that particular brand. When he went to company #2 (Tire Rack), they won't SELL him parts for the wheels becuase they were purchased at company #1.

What if this analogy extended to BMW, where just because you bought your car at one dealer, no other dealer would sell you parts?

I hope they work this out for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #22
canuck335i
Private with no class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Tirerack should not be so defensive in this situation, they steal a big chuck of other business in sales with their business manners, publicity, website and refferal, they should have sold these adaptors to Long and hope he will come back to them later, but instead they choosed to loose him forever, and whoever will support his action by reading this...

Tires are one thing that you buy often in a lifetime and the way you act with your customer will make him come back or leave forever, now if these guys where selling pool tables or Cadillac (lol) then I would understand why they would not want to deal with a customer who purchased at another place and called for help.
Appreciate 0