E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Fog light enhancement

12-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
simont
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport Touring

Fog light enhancement

I found that the strength of the Xenons means the front fog light's weak yellowish beam is next to useless with the Xenons on, I hardly notice the difference when I turn it on/off.

Are there any recommended after market error free bulbs for the front fogs which make a noticable difference, also with a whitish illumination similar to the Xenons?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by simont View Post
I found that the strength of the Xenons means the front fog light's weak yellowish beam is next to useless with the Xenons on, I hardly notice the difference when I turn it on/off.

Are there any recommended after market error free bulbs for the front fogs which make a noticable difference, also with a whitish illumination similar to the Xenons?
go HID, probably your best solution. Other than that, Halogens have their limitations
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
simont
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
go HID, probably your best solution. Other than that, Halogens have their limitations
Thanks, is there any particular brand of HID replacement bulbs I get?

Also is it direct replacement without modificaiton and error free?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
It used to be that fog lamps were yellow because they worked better in fog.

So if that is the case, one would expect going for a xenon which is a whiter light would actually give you worse performance that you have now.

Remember of course that fog lights are designed to help you pick out things like the kerb etc in thick fog where you are down to like 10mph. Are you sure your current fog lights don't already do this?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

I agree with m@rk.

Whiter, brighter fogs will not help. The extra light will simply scatter more off the fog/water droplets. Front fog lights are designed to light up the few feet in front of your car, no more.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

+100000

Optional front fogs are just wide angle beams (much wider than headlamps), so they only have a short range and they are meant to pick out curbs, hedgerows, objects etc at slow speed. As the fog should be so bad before you put them on you should only be doing 10mph or so anyway.

Again as they are wide angle they dazzle from close range and should not be on when any vehicle is approaching, nor if you are behing another vehicle. Best used when on your own in the country side in thick fog.

They are not to see distance nor to be seen by at a distance.

Legally required rear fogs are a bit different, they're to aid others seeing you from a far and thus should be off when anyone comes up behind you anyway.

If you want to cruuuze da streets with da fogz on innit, then you can get some advice here http://www.maxpower.co.uk/default.asp

Last edited by doughboy; 12-09-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I still struggle to understand why fogs on is meant to be a "cool" and "street" look?

When I see front fogs on in no fog, I just think "c0ck head."
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
I used upgraded halogen bulbs, Ring do a 100% boost to light output and I can see a difference when I switch my cockhead fogs on
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Les - fogs being on is NOT c0ckhead if there IS some fog around
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #10
atomic69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo

A White 4500/47000K spectrum light is not ideal for fog lights. A yellow tinted light is far superior. Philips produce yellow All Weather Bulbs specifically designed for this type of task as do PIAA with their Ion Crystal range and Osram produce the their All Season range.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
simont
Private First Class
Rep

I tend to use the front fog lights only during foggy conditions, but there are more often occasions where peripheral visibility is bad and I want to use them to supplment the headlight without having to use the main beam and dazzle oncoming traffic, perhaps this is the reason why sometimes they are referred to as the "Driving lamps/lights"?

For that purpose I suppose a higher output HID / halogen may do the job?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
atomic69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I tend to use the front fog lights only during foggy conditions, but there are more often occasions where peripheral visibility is bad and I want to use them to supplment the headlight without having to use the main beam and dazzle oncoming traffic, perhaps this is the reason why sometimes they are referred to as the "Driving lamps/lights"?

Driving Lamps are completely different to Fog Lamps. Fog Lamps have a wide angle short throw beam and Driving Lamps have a much narrower long throw beam. Driving Lamps can be compared to Head Lamps on Full Beam. Stop Lights have a narrower beam still and quite a bit longer throw.
http://www.piaa.co.uk/lamps/images/p...p_patterns.jpg
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #13
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:

As said front fogs are fogs, not driving lights! They should only be on in low visibility as they will dazzle other drivers at close range.

You can't put HID in a halogen fitting its a completely different thing, despite all the ebay bullshitters trying to sell 'HID' bulbs to directly replace halogen - they are lying - or selling something dangerouse and illegal.

HID is a high voltage gas discharge lamp that needs all sort of gubbins and electronics to work along with special fitting and reflectors. That's why one xenon headlamp assembly for an e90 costs nearly £1000.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
atomic69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
You can't put HID in a halogen fitting its a completely different thing, despite all the ebay bullshitters trying to sell 'HID' bulbs to directly replace halogen - they are lying - or selling something dangerouse and illegal.
To expand on that as some if it is not entirely accurate. Some headlamps were designed to be used with Halogen or HID. The MY03> Subaru Impreza WRX/STi is the one that comes to mind immediately. The Japanese Domestic Market version came fitted with HID lamps while the EU version did not but both used the same lamp units (inc part numbers). There are basically two types of HID bulbs. One (S Format) designed for Projector lamps and the other (R format) for Padabolic type headlamps. Many Spot/Driving lights are available as either Halogen or HID using the same lamp, PIAA 600's are a case in point (in the case of some lamps there maybe minor bulb mounting component differences). The 600's are like the Subaru headlights mentioned above in that they were originally designed with both Halogen & HID light sources in mind. If you look at either of the two examples mentioned above when installing a bulb you can see there is an additional cut-out to allow for the external electrode of the HID bulb.

As I have already said retrofitting without installing washers and the Auto levelling system would be illegal and potentially dangerous to other road users and with the new MOT rules it could also see you very deep trouble with the old bill as there is all kind of sh1t they could throw at you.
Appreciate 0