BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Autocar Previews Upcoming FWD BMW Models

12-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Arrow Autocar Previews Upcoming FWD BMW Models

From: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/254523/

Scott26's previous post about the FWD BMWs - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427654
Confirmation that FWD BMWs will come to USA - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438770

Name:  bmw-fwd.jpg
Views: 49932
Size:  51.9 KB

* Speculative rendering

Article Summary:
  • Two FWD BMW variants (in addition to next generation 1-series three door hatch, five door hatch, coupe and cabrio [all RWD])
    • FWD 5-door hatchback
    • FWD touring / station wagon
  • Scheduled to arrive in UK showrooms in 2013
  • Internal codename: UKL
  • Roomier layout/interior than RWD 1-series variants due to lack of transmission tunnel and more forward A-pillar design
  • 3 cylinder and turbocharged 4 cylinder engine options
    • 3 cylinder - 1.5L diesel and petrol versions
    • 4 cylinder - 2.0L turbo diesel and petrol versions, with start-stop technology, KERS, and heat recovery system
  • Potential 'ti' performance variant with 220hp 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder motor

Quote:
Two roomy and highly practical front-wheel-drive BMWs are set to broaden the reach and appeal of the forthcoming second-generation 1-series.

The new front-drive models will be aimed squarely at the Audi A3. They will also provide added environmental credentials to BMW’s entry-level line-up through the introduction of a ground-breaking new three-cylinder engine.

Based on a new front-wheel drive platform and aluminium-intensive chassis, the new entry-level BMW models will be a traditional five-door hatchback and a sporting estate. They are scheduled to begin arriving in UK showrooms in September 2013.

BMW’s first modern-day front-wheel-drive models are known internally under the codename UKL (an acronym for the German words Unter Klasse). They are totally separate from the company’s high-profile MegaCity Vehicle project and form part of a new six-strong 1-series line-up.

Included are a three-door hatchback, a five-door hatchback, a coupé and a cabriolet, all with rear-wheel drive, plus the five-door hatchback and estate versions running on the new front-drive architecture.

In its design and packaging, the UKL is a vastly different proposition from the second-generation rear-drive 1-series that will make its world debut at the Geneva motor show in March. The primary difference between the two is that the front-drive car has its engine mounted transversely under a comparatively short bonnet rather than longitudinally under a typically long bonnet.

With drive being sent to the front wheels rather than channelled via a propshaft to the rear wheels, the layout has given BMW’s designers the freedom to dispense with the transmission tunnel running back through the interior. This should increase the amount of available space, especially in the rear.

The new layout has also allowed BMW to rethink the car’s proportions, with the front bulkhead and A-pillars being brought further forward. This will increase the volume of the cabin to a level comparable with Europe’s best-seller, the Volkswagen Golf, and the Audi A3.

The UKL will also gain a more upright windscreen and larger door apertures. Insiders talk of the five-door hatchback adopting a silhouette similar to that of the 5-series GT, albeit on a smaller scale.

As well as the adoption of front-wheel drive and the packaging improvements it brings, the new entry-level model will offer buyers the choice of frugal turbocharged three-cylinder engines along with a new generation of turbocharged four-cylinder units — all part of BMW’s EfficientDynamics programme.

The new three-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, known under the codenames N37 and N38, are set to be 1.5 litres in size. They have been designed in a modular nature and will share components with the BMW’s traditional 3.0-litre, six-cylinder petrol and diesel engines.

Ranged above the compact three-cylinder engines will be new 2.0-litre, four-cylinder petrol and diesel units. The new engines also reflect BMW’s 500cc-per-cylinder engineering philosophy. Both will run the latest in turbo and piezo-valve-equipped injection technology.

As with the smaller motors, the four-cylinder units are planned to run in combination with EfficientDynamics tech that will include stop-start, brake energy recuperation and a new heat recovery system that uses waste heat from the exhaust to generate electricity to power the car’s ancillaries.

Unlike its rear-wheel-drive 1-series sibling, the UKL is not scheduled to run BMW’s six-cylinder motors, which are designed exclusively for a longitudinal layout. But that’s not to say that it won’t be without a performance variant. Munich insiders have revealed to Autocar plans for a resurrection of the ‘ti’ name on a Golf GTI-challenging performance model running a 220bhp version of BMW’s new turbocharged 2.0-litre engine.

This new model will be used to support a successor to BMW’s upcoming 1-series M Coupé, which is tentatively due to appear in 2013.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

AutoCar: Front-drive BMW 1-series scooped

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCar
Two roomy and highly practical front-wheel-drive BMWs are set to broaden the reach and appeal of the forthcoming second-generation 1-series.
The new front-drive models will be aimed squarely at the Audi A3. They will also provide added environmental credentials to BMW’s entry-level line-up through the introduction of a ground-breaking new three-cylinder engine.

Based around a modified version of the Mini Countryman’s front-wheel drive platform and aluminium-intensive chassis, the new entry-level BMW models will be a traditional five-door hatchback and a sporting estate. They are scheduled to begin arriving in UK showrooms in September 2013.
BMW’s first modern-day front-wheel-drive models are known internally under the codename UKL (an acronym for the German words Unter Klasse). They are totally separate from the company’s high-profile MegaCity Vehicle project and form part of a new six-strong 1-series line-up.
Included are a three-door hatchback, a five-door hatchback, a coupé and a cabriolet, all with rear-wheel drive, plus the five-door hatchback and estate versions running on the new front-drive architecture.

In its design and packaging, the UKL is a vastly different proposition from the second-generation rear-drive 1-series that will make its world debut at the Geneva motor show in March. The primary difference between the two is that the front-drive car has its engine mounted transversely under a comparatively short bonnet rather than longitudinally under a typically long bonnet.
With drive being sent to the front wheels rather than channelled via a propshaft to the rear wheels, the layout has given BMW’s designers the freedom to dispense with the transmission tunnel running back through the interior. This should increase the amount of available space, especially in the rear.
The new layout has also allowed BMW to rethink the car’s proportions, with the front bulkhead and A-pillars being brought further forward. This will increase the volume of the cabin to a level comparable with Europe’s best-seller, the Volkswagen Golf, and the Audi A3.

The UKL will also gain a more upright windscreen and larger door apertures. Insiders talk of the five-door hatchback adopting a silhouette similar to that of the 5-series GT, albeit on a smaller scale.
As well as the adoption of front-wheel drive and the packaging improvements it brings, the new entry-level model will offer buyers the choice of frugal turbocharged three-cylinder engines along with a new generation of turbocharged four-cylinder units — all part of BMW’s EfficientDynamics programme.
The new three-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, known under the codenames N37 and N38, are set to be 1.5 litres in size. They have been designed in a modular nature and will share components with the BMW’s traditional 3.0-litre, six-cylinder petrol and diesel engines.

Ranged above the compact three-cylinder engines will be new 2.0-litre, four-cylinder petrol and diesel units. The new engines also reflect BMW’s 500cc-per-cylinder engineering philosophy. Both will run the latest in turbo and piezo-valve-equipped injection technology.
As with the smaller motors, the four-cylinder units are planned to run in combination with EfficientDynamics tech that will include stop-start, brake energy recuperation and a new heat recovery system that uses waste heat from the exhaust to generate electricity to power the car’s ancillaries.
Unlike its rear-wheel-drive 1-series sibling, the UKL is not scheduled to run BMW’s six-cylinder motors, which are designed exclusively for a longitudinal layout. But that’s not to say that it won’t be without a performance variant. Munich insiders have revealed to Autocar plans for a resurrection of the ‘ti’ name on a Golf GTI-challenging performance model running a 220bhp version of BMW’s new turbocharged 2.0-litre engine.
This new model will be used to support a successor to BMW’s upcoming 1-series M Coupé, which is tentatively due to appear in 2013.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/254523/
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

"Munich insiders have revealed to Autocar plans for a resurrection of the ‘ti’ name on a Golf GTI-challenging performance model running a 220bhp version of BMW’s new turbocharged 2.0-litre engine.
This new model will be used to support a successor to BMW’s upcoming 1-series M Coupé, which is tentatively due to appear in 2013."

Does this mean that the 1 Series M Coupe will eventually be FWD?
      12-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Well, since several recent articles and posts here have alluded to the next-gen 1-series coupes and convertibles actually being part of a 2-series lineup, it makes sense that BMW would introduce a lower-level 1-series. I've also read a number of times recently in online and magazine articles that BMW is working on a FWD platform so this makes some sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
ChrisPA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 A5

Quote:
In its design and packaging, the UKL is a vastly different proposition from the second-generation rear-drive 1-series that will make its world debut at the Geneva motor show in March.
I find this more intriguing (at least in the short run) than what's happening 3-4 years from now. Is there really going to be a second generation 1-series debuting in a few months? Or is this just the mid cycle refresh?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 12-14-2010 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington View Post

Yay, torque steer on an ///M car!

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

interesting, would have to keep the price low to compare to similar cars like the GTI, but I like my RWD BMW
      12-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
ArabianSensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

VW and Ford watch out... the GTI and Focus ST are going to have some real competition here.

Although both make more power... ///M Variant?
I love hot hatches as much as the next guy but...
Oh BMW.... how times change... going from high revving NA motors and RWD to FWD and turbos.
      12-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

It looks like an angry Citroen

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

I am actually happy that they choose to keep a RWD variant. I understand the choice offering a FWD car and I was concerned that they would cancel the pretty unique offer of a compact RWD which makes for me all the interrest of the 1-series as we know it.

I am conscious most buyers are not even aware it is a RWD : my brother drives a 116d in Belgium and does not even know he has a RWD!!! I choose my 128i here in the US for the precise reason it is one of the only compact RWD cars on the market!!!!

I only hope they keep offering this fabulous straight six. I have the N52 and I find it a wonderful engine, not overly powerful but responsive, revs nicely and it is butter smooth, truly a great engine
      12-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
ArabianSensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Oh and if the top variant costs more than 30k, it's definitely crack pipe. The base 1 (2?) series should be a bit under 30k. And the 3 starting in the mid 30's.

Just my $0.02
      12-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
I understand its business, but I will not ever buy a FWD car, I cant stand driving them.

I deal with AWD as long as the bias is rear.
      12-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

This website aside, and others like it, most people don't buy BMWs because they're RWD. It makes complete sense that BMW would want to offer a FWD line in the U.S., a segment that is large and varied in the U.S. The only thing is, for a premium price, people will be looking for larger and less "econobox" cars. U.S. buyers equate high prices with big cars that perform well. Sure, the perception in the U.S. is slowly changing, but a premium-priced compact isn't exactly a big seller here. BMW need only look at the VWs sold in the U.S. for this lesson. VW is having to decontent them like crazy to make them more affordable so that masses of people will buy them. Now, BMW's name has more cache than VW's so that alone may be enough to get people to bite, but I think it's an uphill battle.

MINI's are popular in the U.S., but they are still extremely small in their overall U.S. marketshare. If I was in the market for a FWD small car, I'd absolutely want either a BMW, MINI, or a VW (NOT the new Jetta), but I don't think I'm the typical buyer because I want premium features and performance and am less worried about the cost. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, what is the point of BMW offering a small FWD car in the U.S.? I would imagine that sales figures will be very small so I can't imagine that this type of car would be a huge sales success in terms of profits.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Tragic

2009 E90 335i 6AT / Procede / Vishnu DCI / Space Gray / Oyster Dakota Leather / Light Burl Walnut /
/ Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Pkg / Paddle Shifters / iDrive / Logic 7 / Park Distance / Comfort Access / iPhone Port/
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #16
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
Perhaps, but this is where the M2 will (hopefully) step in and take the baton from the 1M.
      12-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #17
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

The idea of paying a significant amount of cash for a front wheel drive makes me want to

I think I'd get a Honda instead.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

It seems like every time I switch brands, that brand turns to shit immediately after.
      12-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #19
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
It seems like every time I switch brands, that brand turns to shit immediately after.
Go to Honda then...theyve been shit for a while, maybe two negatives make a positive?

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #20
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Go to Honda then...theyve been shit for a while, maybe two negatives make a positive?

Oh god no.
      12-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

I do like the looks of it though. At least give us an AWD version that works well.
      12-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #22
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Top down drifting in the snow....Nice.
Appreciate 0