BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Nexus S

12-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Nexus S

Anyone else as aggravated about this phone as me?

Why's google trying this shit again? (I'm probably a semi google fan boi at heart)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

wut
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
wut
nexus s, the next generation 'nexus', google is apparently trying their own phone system..... the general push from google is selling phones without a carrier.

(with a hefty price tag of $600)...and only available for TMobile

http://www.google.com/nexus/#/index
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

i know what it is dude lol

why are you aggravated about it?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
i know what it is dude lol

why are you aggravated about it?
eh I never know. lol.

Aggravated that google is trying the same damn approach as the last time. They have a genuinely good idea, but they fuck it up. I was all ready to jump on the nexus bandwagon the first time around, but then they introduced a ridiculous price, and only available on tmobile and I think ATT.

But their strategy seems to be: Let's create a freaking awesome phone, let's try to shake up the standard 'phone contract' system.......but let's make it only readily available to 1/10 of the cell phone users.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Looks like my Droid X
      12-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

You wanted them to release a version of the phone that had all the CDMA and GSM goodies crammed into one package?

I'm more disappointed with the specs as compared to current/upcoming phones. The hardware is a disappointment relative to the industry compared to the Nexus One.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
You wanted them to release a version of the phone that had all the CDMA and GSM goodies crammed into one package?

I'm more disappointed with the specs as compared to current/upcoming phones. The hardware is a disappointment relative to the industry compared to the Nexus One.
Release one that has it combined, or at least has the capability (read something like the touch pro 2), or at least having both readily available....or hell at least charge a reasonable price. Shit, it's the price of the iphone. I just feel like they're setting themselves up to lose in every POSSIBLE fashion. There is nothing redeeming about the phone.

the hardware I'm relatively dismissing, because I would prefer google's hands directly into the OS, I think they'd do a better job than some of these slap-on interfaces, leading to better use of the phones power/potential. But I agree..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I don't see why they wouldn't expect to be able to charge the price of the iPhone.... You've added features to the phone its based off of (SGS line) while the SGS was already competitive with the iPhone in most reviews I read.... Add to that the fact that it's Google's baby and you don't have to worry about lengthy delayed updates and clunky interfaces. Would I pay that much for it? No, but that's only because I know what's on the horizon, and it's not that much of an upgrade from my Captivate.

What I do love about the Nexus S is that it got its "roots" (see what I did there?) from the SGS, meaning we're well on our way to getting Gingerbread working on the Captivate, even before Samsung has released an official FroYo build.... Seriously, fuck Samsung and AT&T.

As far as cramming the GSM and CDMA guts into that package, I'm not completely savvy on what that would entail, but it would be a lot more testing and regulatory hoops to jump through, along with the fact that the insides of the SGS lineup are already pretty cramped....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I don't see why they wouldn't expect to be able to charge the price of the iPhone.... You've added features to the phone its based off of (SGS line) while the SGS was already competitive with the iPhone in most reviews I read.... Add to that the fact that it's Google's baby and you don't have to worry about lengthy delayed updates and clunky interfaces. Would I pay that much for it? No, but that's only because I know what's on the horizon, and it's not that much of an upgrade from my Captivate.

What I do love about the Nexus S is that it got its "roots" (see what I did there?) from the SGS, meaning we're well on our way to getting Gingerbread working on the Captivate, even before Samsung has released an official FroYo build.... Seriously, fuck Samsung and AT&T.

As far as cramming the GSM and CDMA guts into that package, I'm not completely savvy on what that would entail, but it would be a lot more testing and regulatory hoops to jump through, along with the fact that the insides of the SGS lineup are already pretty cramped....
I do agree with you here in just about every regard, (I'm an epic owner).

I like what it represents, (just like I liked what the nexus one represented), I just think it's a piss poor execution. (imho of course). This phone has nothing that other phones don't have....and as you mentioned, hardware wise its already behind the curve.
To simplify it, I feel it should have at least tried to have at least one of a few things:
1. Cheaper price. If you're going to try to convince people to jump off the contract price, you have to offer them SOMETHING. an epic off contract is $499, an evo is $449.
2. TRUE flexibility to be either a worldwide phone, or flexibility between multiple carriers (I do know this is a massive hoop to jump through, and lots of time)
3. Better specs than the competition.
4. More readily available - There is NO way you can simply 'play' with the phone to determine if you like it. If you want to play, you buy it, that's all you have. For the amount of money they put into the nexus one, this was one of the stupidest things I think they did, and continue to do.
Appreciate 0