E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Group complaint to BMW UK regarding Fuel Tank Breather Problem

View Poll Results: Do you (or have you) experienced the common fault of leaking diesel when you fill up?
Yes 7 30.43%
No 16 69.57%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

12-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Garage List
Post Group complaint to BMW UK regarding Fuel Tank Breather Problem

Hi all,

I realise there are a few ppl on this forum who are experiencing the common fault of diesel leaking from the breather pipe (myself included).

Personally I think its a big shame that such a nice (and lets be honest not a cheap one) can have such a simple but annoying fault! Its not something we have done to cause the problem and therefore BMW should provide SOME help towards rectifying the problem if not do it ALL out of good-will regardless of a cars age and warranty status.

So what I was suggesting is if we can gather everyone together who has this problem (electronically of course lol) we can all email BMW and keep pestering them untill we come to a resolution?

Alternatively if anyone has any other ideas how we can get BMW's attention then lets hear them...

What say ppl?

Urfan
      12-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
BEE EM
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d SE

Great idea mate count me in for this and hopefully if enough of us complain maybe we might get somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thats the idea!! Now where are the rest!!!
      12-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
They won't be interested, I'll almost guarantee that.

Look at the 225M 19" wheel circus!

If mine leaked I'd just get on and fix it.
      12-31-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
ASR1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i

My petrol car had this problem, but it was repaired at no charge by the dealer I purchased the car from

No harm in trying for a goodwill claim from BMW, but I don't think collecting names on a forum is really going to help
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up BMW Goodwill

Quick update...

I decided to email BMW UK with my problem and basically ask that its done under goodwill...

They replied to me with...

"Thank you for your email dated January 5, 2010. I am sorry that you have had cause to contact us under these circumstances.

BMW collate failure reports, part order information and customer feedback to determine if there is a fault with a specific part. I have tried to call you today unsuccessfully, to ascertain your registration and chassis number for me to investigate whether there have been any recalls on your vehicle.

In the absence of a warranty policy, BMW UK may consider offering a contribution towards a repair, however, this must be assessed in the first instance by an Approved BMW Dealership, who, should they deem it appropriate will contact us on your behalf for consideration.

When we receive requests of this nature, the vehicles age, mileage, purchase and service history are all taken into consideration, each case is assessed individually and our decision is communicated directly to the dealership. We are unable to assess requests directly from vehicle owners.

Once again, I am sorry that you have had cause to contact us on this occasion. I can assure you that your case will be considered, should your repairing BMW Approved Dealership contact us on your behalf. I trust this email assists you in progressing this matter, however, please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance.

Yours sincerely"

So I have spoken to Sandals in Hudds where I am booked in for an oil change anyway and advised them of the issue. They have agreed to diagnose and present to BMW UK for goodwill.

They charge for the diagnostic (which I dont really like but what can you do)...I spoke to the Service Manager and got him to reduce the diagnostic labour charge to £75/hour and he reckoned it wont take more then an hour at most. Most likely around 30-40 quid he thinks...

So wish me luck! lol. Car will get diagnosed on Saturday and presented to BMW UK for goodwill on Monday and then we take it from there...

Urfan

PS Sandal seem really nice so far and very reasonable in cost compared to others! Good service and very friendly
      01-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
milka
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

I have the same issue, let me know how it pans out, might give it ago myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

Diagnosis is just a 15min job! Fill the tank up and drive in and they can see the fuel dripping!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post
Diagnosis is just a 15min job! Fill the tank up and drive in and they can see the fuel dripping!
The service manager did say that it probably won't take the whole hour to diagnose and I'd be looking at around 30-40 for diagnosis
      01-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
BEE EM
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d SE

Let us know the outcome as i am considering taking this up with the dealers. Can anyone recommend a contact at Sytners in Chigwell.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Will do... I'm due for 'diagnosis' tomorrow and will be sent to BMW for review on Monday so probably some time next week I'll know...

EDIT: had my service and diagnosis...guess what? Its the fuel tank breather pipe(!?). The diagnosis only cost 25odd quid so not too bad if it doesn't work out with goodwill then I've only lost that..

EDIT 2: Details have now been sent off to BMW and I am expecting them to get back tomorrow with a yay or nay!

Sandals have also quoted me £622 to have it repaired! (No thanks!) lol

Last edited by urfankhaliq; 01-10-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
ok so bmw uk got back to sandals who got back to me and surprise surprise a big fat 0 lol

on a positive note sandals have offered to reduce it to 440 for the work so now need to get some prices from some good indies.....

will try b&m tomorrow