BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
LSB M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: which one?!

2011 x3 NAV

What do you guys think of the NAV?

I cannot decide if I want it or go aftermarket.............

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Now that iDrive usability is improved, I'd definitely go with the built-in Nav. It will increase resale value, and look better in the car than an aftermarket unit stuck to the windshield.

Additionally, if you opt for the HUD, then the HUD display will be linked to the Nav system so the directions are visible right in the HUD display, like so:

12-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB M View Post
What do you guys think of the NAV?

It appears to be a beautifully integrated system but (IMHO) at $2150 it's grossly overpriced. If I were a salesman driving cross-country every day... maybe. However, we use a $250 dash mount Garmin about once every 2 months since 99% of our driving is to locations we know well.

For not many $ more you can order the Sport Activity Package AND the Dynamic Handling Package which you will use every day you drive the car.

That kind of money could even buy you a bottle of Romanee-Conti from a decent (not great) year.

"You pays ya money and you makes your choice"

Please keep in mind that one of my other vehicles, which I enjoy driving very much, not only has no NAV system, but has no radio, no power steering, no power brakes, no auto trans., no doors, no roof, no AC, and a heater that is virtually non-existent (Therefore my opinions may not reflect the "mainstream view").

Last edited by Lotus7; 12-29-2010 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

We are getting the Nav - but it will be bundled in the tech package with comfort access, park distance control, rearview camera and overhead view. The Nav is better than the current nav on the 3 series - no more discs, as it is hard drive based and will be updated by service when new information becomes available throughout the warranty period. It was also noticeably quicker than the current nav and offered a couple of different views. The cost isn't as bad when it isn't a stand alone option.
      12-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
...as it is hard drive based...
Being hard drive based is actually one of the factors that turned me away from ordering the BMW NAV. I suspect that the HD is well shock mounted, but from an engineering point of view, a delicate, shock and temperature sensitive device like a spinning hard drive really has no place in a tightly sprung vehicle. Solid state drives of an appropriate size have been around for long enough and are low enough in cost to be the correct solution, and probably will be standard very soon. Spinning HDs have a limited life (have you backed-up lately?) in fixed location desk top computers, and a generally shorter life in moving laptops. The physical conditions in a car are not the best environment to place a HD, even a "rugged" unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Being hard drive based is actually one of the factors that turned me away from ordering the BMW NAV. I suspect that the HD is well shock mounted, but from an engineering point of view, a delicate, shock and temperature sensitive device like a spinning hard drive really has no place in a tightly sprung vehicle. Solid state drives of an appropriate size have been around for long enough and are low enough in cost to be the correct solution, and probably will be standard very soon. Spinning HDs have a limited life (have you backed-up lately?) in fixed location desk top computers, and a generally shorter life in moving laptops. The physical conditions in a car are not the best environment to place a HD, even a "rugged" unit.
I agree re. solid state but I'm not surprised. It's taken car manufacturers long enough to catch up with ipod connectivity and DAB. But don't worry because when your HD reaches the end of its useful life, your local BMW dealer will kindly replace it for you for another $2,000!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

I agree with Lotus7, and yet I still have ordered the Nav system, because after a few years of using my iPhone and recently iPad as a map, I find that it is difficult to mount, hold or listen to even when it's connected through Bluetooth. It also creates phone battery problems. I find that I need to use the navigation system also for short hauls and so mounting it, connecting it all the time etc. makes it counterproductive and time wasting. Also, the Nav system on the larger screen makes it much easier to see than the iPhone, and the lighting on the Nav screen is usually better because its position has been engineered with the specific car in mind.

I did not get the HUD though, because I was not sure about the custom windshield.

Winters are very cold here, and the roads are rough; together, they will put the HD to a serious test. It may be a moot point 4 years from now as they'll probably use a solid state drive but the warranty will cover the HD at least until then.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
RockyMntX35i
United_States
Rep
Drives: X35i

I am getting NAV. i'm impressed that it allows you to send business listings and street addresses with associated phone numbers from the comfort of your home or office directly to your BMW.

I frequently look up/plan destinations at home, now I can forward that info to the car
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #9
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMntX35i View Post
I am getting NAV. i'm impressed that it allows you to send business listings and street addresses with associated phone numbers from the comfort of your home or office directly to your BMW.

I frequently look up/plan destinations at home, now I can forward that info to the car
+1. That feature is gold for me.
Appreciate 0