BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
My test drive of the X28 today ...

I finally got to test drive an X28 today. One big bummer was that the X35 had been given to? loaned to? the "Uconn head basketball coach"... not sure what the deal is on that except when I called at 1:30pm they said both were there and at 3pm the Sales Manager said "oh, no - that car has been gone for days now.." nice.

Anyway the test drive: First off - I loved it. I thought the driving position was superb and the armrest, gear shift knob and iDrive controller were right where they should be. I am 5'10" as a reference.

I have been driving my 170 horsepower 1.8Turbo Passat since 2001 (80,000 miles) and my 2008 Honda minivan so of course the BMW felt very upscale. The one I drove had Cold Weather and Premium I think but no nav.

Additionally, it had the beige leather. First on that: the BMW website makes the beige leather seem much brighter and livlier than it is in my opinion. In my 10 year old passat its sort of a yellowish tan that really brightens up the interior. The BMW beige seems a bit dull in comparison. Some may like that better.

The dash (with that BMW simplistic MPG indicator) and the AC and Idrive were all really well sorted out and right where they should be. Commanding position, easy to get into and really good shoulder, head and foot space I thought. Yes, some other cars will have more footwell space, but I thought it was great.

Seat heaters worked great - it was 35 degrees in Massachusetts today as well.

Stock stereo - i did not hook up my ipod nor play a CD but I thought I was ok. Most people know BMW is known for fairly weak stock stereos and this one was better than that but just ok. Personally, I will pay for the upgrade. I think in March these cars will be able to do more regarding Pandora, etc... but most of my listening is Sirius, etc...

Back seat was very roomy and very generous. The luggage boot seemed smaller than some pictures have led me to believe. I sort of wish the back seats got less space and the boot got more space, but hey..it is what it is.

Fold down mechanism was great as I will constantly be putting bikes in the back, etc...

I paired my bluetooth iphone w/out much of an issue and even made a call pretty easily. first time with idrive as well.

Non-sport seats were great for me and I personally didnt see the need to upgrade to sport seats. again personal opinion

The drive: Its weird to see M5 (i.e. you are in 5th gear) and then realize you still have 3 more to go) when shifting in manual mode. In pure automatic, like others have been saying, the x28 seems lost at times in 2/3/4th gear in the 10-35 mPHour range. maybe it needs to 'learn' ones driving style...

in manual mode it was just so much fun. They let me take the car out by myself for a good chunk (30-40 minutes..could have had more) and i had a blast!

Does it have too much / more than expected body lean? hard to say. again, my passat is ten years old and a family sedan to boot. if you are coming from a 3 series you might feel there is too much body roll. i just loved every minute of the ride.

Suspension was really the best surprise. With no active dampers or sport setting, and the 17's, the ride was bmw firm but very well damped. very very well damped actually. I sought out potholes, manhole covers and bumpy roads. Just great.

Sound insulation - not lexus quiet but that is expected. I am sure in the year 2013 or 2014 to get people back in the showrooms, they will have "thicker acoustic glass" in the winshield, add 25 more h Power and increase fuel milage by 2mpg's... etc.. but right now the sound insulation is good and i wouldnt see it as a limiting factor.

Will I buy one? i think so. i also tested the T-reg and they are very very different. The t-reg felt lumbering while this was tight and solid and fun and peppy.

Too bad i couldnt drive the x35 as i really wanted to compare the two. I could see where the x28 would strain a bit and someone might want that additional horsepower. I'm wondering with the 18's and more power in the engine if the ride might be 'busier'... hmm...

Sorry about no pics. if you have questions please do ask. Im no expert but am glad to comment on something if i can...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
tomegun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528, 428 GC

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [0.00]
There is no need to upgrade to sports seats...until you sit in sports seats. As a reference, sports seats in a 335 aren't necessarily the best for driving cross country (Mississippi to Vegas). However, they are great the rest of the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
Suspension was really the best surprise. With no active dampers or sport setting, and the 17's, the ride was bmw firm but very well damped. very very well damped actually. I sought out potholes, manhole covers and bumpy roads. Just great. .
Hi, you meant to say its super smooth without the optional damper control settings and hugs the road in bends too?
Appreciate 0