E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Changing headlight bulb!

01-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Garage List
Unhappy Changing headlight bulb!

First of all what crap weather we have today

Woke up and its all white outside!! Barely managed to get out of my street and then on the way to work my passenger side headlight decides it doesnt want to work any more!

The last time this happened (incidently also when it was snowing?!) I managed to get it working by just giving it a bit of a tap and move around. (And in the process I broke the big round cover that clips over the headlights....if anyone can advise me the best way to get that on I would be grateful)...

This time I had to remove the smaller round cover which was covering the exact bulb not working...(again cant get the cover on and not tried too much so as to not break it!)...

Managed to replace the bulb tho which was the main thing, took it to Williams in Rochdale, once I got to work, who wanted 60 odd quid to do the job saying they have to take the wheel arch cover off etc but they were fully booked anyway and I needed it sorted before night fall so just managed to change it myself (without removing any wheel arch cover!) and cost me £13 for the bulb!

Happy that I got to change the bulb myself but annoyed I couldnt get the b@&*%*&d cover back on!!

is there some special trick?

Now im left with the big cover which has a broken end (it has two bits that stick out that must go into something) and a smaller cover in one piece but not on....

Anyway made it into work and hope it rains to get rid of the f00king snow!!

Urfan

PS Williams in Rochdale have 5Ltr gallons of the concentrate screenwash for £15 and was going to buy some but I noticed that when mixed 1:2 it gives protection to -12c. Sandals in Hudds (where I am due tomorrow) have 5ltr gallon of ready made stuff for £4.99 which also protects to -12 anyway so just easier to get the ready made stuff and not mess about with having to dilute it etc. In my opinion -12 is more then enough..
      01-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

I've just been to Williams Rochdale and bought the 5ltr container of screenwash, apparently they've just got a load of stock in. I paid £13 for the concentrated version,make sure if you attend any of the Williams dealers ask for LOYALTY discount and you will automatically get 10% off parts/accessories and 15% off labour.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Sooperdooperoofer
The older I get, the faster I was
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320d SE x2 & E21 323i 2door

There's no need to open the bonnet unless for high beams. Look inside the wheel well. There's a plastic cover about the size of a postcard, towards the front. You'll need a coin to unlock the cover (there are two "locks" to turn.) Remove it, and you'll be able to access the bulbs (low beams only) through this cover. turn the wheels inwards for access

Last edited by Sooperdooperoofer; 01-07-2011 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: poor spelling!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It was the main beam light bulb that had gone. But good to know about the way in through wheel arch. Maybe I can use that to put the other (bigger) cover back on
      01-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
I've just been to Williams Rochdale and bought the 5ltr container of screenwash, apparently they've just got a load of stock in. I paid £13 for the concentrated version,make sure if you attend any of the Williams dealers ask for LOYALTY discount and you will automatically get 10% off parts/accessories and 15% off labour.
What's this loyalty discount thing, not heard of it before? Anything you have to join or is it just a secret you have to find out about?

I got my 5l wash from Williams Rochdale yesterday, and paid £15 and I assume it was you Urfan that I was chatting about winter tyres with

Last edited by the_rangdo; 01-08-2011 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Bad spelling :)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #6
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Answering my own question
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
Hahaha oh my days!! What a coincidence!!

Yes that was me!

Urfan
      01-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

They don't advertise the loyalty discounts but I get it immediately on asking for it and never signed up or joined anything.

I have seen so many people at the parts dept at Rochdale paying over the odds for servicing and parts that while the rep isn't there tell them to mention loyalty and has cut their bills down drastically. One guy at servicing was paying nearly £700 for service work on his 7 series, mentioned this to him and his bill was cut by over £150!

Its a shame they don't just apply this discount to every customer that walks in, its only those that read up on it and ask that get it. Most don't even know it exists.
Appreciate 0