E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > It's tyre time

01-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
It's tyre time

So I just noticed my backs are ready for a change (the fronts have loads on them still)

I switched to Conti Sport Contact 3 last time and whilst the ride was 100% better than on run flats, they have some odd behaviour characteristics under certain circumstances that mean I would not have them on this car again. I also only managed 15,000 miles out of them which is far less than I got on Dunlop run flats.

So still sticking with non run flats but not Continental. The size is 225/45/17 all round.

What is the general opinion for the best (not the cheapest) non run flats right now?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Michelins are the best rubber, only Contis come close IMO, but they're also the most expensive. Thing is, both of those are better partly because of the grip they afford, and that in turn means a decrease in longevity. Which poses the question - what defines 'best' for you?

If you want a combination of longevity and decent performance, you're probably looking at a Goodyear F1 or similar.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
I hear that ps2s were rated the best until sport contacts 5 came out, checkout e92fan's review

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414677
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
I switched to Conti Sport Contact 3 last time and whilst the ride was 100% better than on run flats, they have some odd behaviour characteristics under certain circumstances that mean I would not have them on this car again.
That's interesting - can you elaborate please? I'd like to know what you think, so I can see if I've come across any similar issues with mine.

The Conti 3s are designed specifically for heavier rear drive cars like ours, and are highly praised for 3ers by the likes of Birds BMW etc.

Conti 5Ps are the best right now, having overtaken the Mich PS2.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

My Conti 5ps are brilliant. They felt a bit ropey for the first few hundred miles but that could have been the change from 17" Bstone runflats to 19" Contis as much as the bedding in period.

They are very good now though and hardly any wear after around 2000 miles.

They were slightly better in the snow than the runflats were though but only just.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
That's interesting - can you elaborate please? I'd like to know what you think, so I can see if I've come across any similar issues with mine.
It's really odd and something I have never come across before.

The tyres are 225/45/17 Y rated on a 335D SE Touring

The issue I have is that at low speeds (think housing estate speeds), there is a wobble that can be SEEN at the steering wheel.The only time I have ever seen this happen at these sorts of speeds before on a car has been when the wheels have been so far off balance as to be a joke.

We have tried moving the rims around the car and (as I have a full size spare) we have put that on the car too. This was to eliminate a bent rim.

We have balanced them to within an inch of their life.

My dealer also tells me that the whole car is straight and that there are no suspension or running gear faults.

Still a wobble.

It's not always there and only occurs at certain speeds (sometimes).

Before these tyres were put on the car last spring, I never had a problem.

So there is clearly a problem with these tyres on this car. Could be a bad batch. Could be a harmonics issue. Could be voodoo

In any case, it is enough to make me steer away from the same tyres next time round which is saying something as I have sworn by Continental tyres for many many years.

The tyre shop is stumped and I have had it into a different tyre shop as well to see what they think.

All very odd.

As for SP5, they don't appear to do this size (too high a profile) so not an option.

What do I need (to answer the other comments)

Ultimate grip? No! My car spends a large part of it's life on motorways.

Decent wear? Yes please.

But I still need something that will keep what is a very powerful car planted when needed.

On the plus side of course, with only 17" rims on, the cost per corner is a lot less than some of you have to cope with so going premium doesn't hurt quite as much.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

Have you had non-runflats on it before? Could it just be the very soft suspension bushes BMW had to use to make the car vaguely refined with runflats?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

If you've moved the rims around it seems unlikely that there are multiple tyre faults.

Even a tiny piece of grit stuck / embedded to a disc bell can make a wheel sit off true, but the loose wheel will balance 100% on a machine.

On the other hand, nowt wrong with trying another brand, but I've only heard good from CSC3 users.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
If you've moved the rims around it seems unlikely that there are multiple tyre faults.

Even a tiny piece of grit stuck / embedded to a disc bell can make a wheel sit off true, but the loose wheel will balance 100% on a machine.

On the other hand, nowt wrong with trying another brand, but I've only heard good from CSC3 users.
Don't think it's a tyre fault as such but just that the particular tyre/car combo doesn't work.

The wobble started the second the new tyres went onto the car.

Could it be due to running non run flats on a car designed for them?

If that were the case then I would expect all the other owners on here who have switched to also have problems. And they don't.

For now, all I can do is go with a different tyre and see what happens. If it's a non run flat thing, then the problem will remain.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #10
milesr3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
Ultimate grip? No! My car spends a large part of it's life on motorways.

Decent wear? Yes please.
I'd recommend Falken ZE912 over the more commonly used FK452. I have a set of 912s on my 535d SE in 225/50R17 and they are very quiet and are wearing brilliantly for such a heavy, torquey car. Last time I looked they had with 6.7mm/5mm F/R remaining after 6,000 miles. Cold/damp weather grip is massively improved over the RE050s that were on it too. I will certainly use them again - don't be put off by the price!

[Edit] Just had a quick check on event-tyres and they are available in your size with XL rating at £330/set.

Last edited by milesr3; 01-09-2011 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #11
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
XL Ratings!!!

The car shipped with 91 rated tyres on it so BMW do not specify a 94 (or XL rated) tyre

The Contis were 94 however just because that is what the tyre shop had.

I was not planning on putting on 94 rated tyres this time. The E91 is no heavier than other cars in it's class. What do other think?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #12
milesr3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535d SE

The main reason for suggesting an XL tyre was for a stiffer sidewall, which might suit the RFT-spec car better. They are not available in 91W by the look of it.

Last edited by milesr3; 01-09-2011 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0