E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Aftermarket equivilent to the new M sport suspension?

02-15-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
daves335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Aftermarket equivilent to the new M sport suspension?

Got the 335i Sedan a couple of months ago with leather, etc...

with the new M sport package just announced, besides the 19" wheel option, the aero kit (looks motly), and the alcetra (sp?) seats, the short shifter is a $135 "upgrade". The only thing of real performance improvement, in my opinion, would be the upgrade sports suspension.

I know its not out yet, but what would be an aftermarket equal to it?

On my Audi S4, I put on Koni (can't spell anything this morning for my life...) and Eboich springs. Lowered the car like 2" and the ride became very firm. Too much lowering, and too firm, in fact. Didn't really like it in the end for the daily driver.

I'm assuming this sports suspension won't put it that far (only 15mm lower I believe).

Any thoughts from anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I hear if you use Koni FSD, the ride is buttery smooth, and the cornering is insane!

http://e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44600
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Evan@Creative
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
I hear if you use Koni FSD, the ride is buttery smooth, and the cornering is insane!

http://e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44600
The FSD's are nice. But if can spend the money get coilovers. KW v2's or v3's are the best bang for your buck. Also, we got a special going on them: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47375
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

My plan is to get the following:
Quaife LSD (adjustable), M-sport sway bars, Bilstein PSS9 adjustable coilovers, and strut braces. Already have light rims and non-rfts. It would be great to get advice from folks that are knowledgeable about suspension tuning. BMW has great engineers, so stock set-ups are great. I would be more than happy with the M-sport or an equivalent ZHP package, but unfortunately those are not available. Maybe I can get some of the techies at a BMWCCA meet to help me sort it out properly.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

what is the deal with koni on my e34 540i (and i am super carefulk around bumbs) has need the front right shock replaced twice over 20-25k milesi this last time 17k miles don't get it...they say at the dealer this is very common cause even if i am avoiding potholes and stuff like crazy just the roads in general around here aren't the best...but damn i think the roads around here(chicago)aren't that bad!!! i mean 2500 w/labor is a lot to keep replacing my front suspension..every year...i think i am gonna try an m suspension...my parts guy at first thought i was talking about an e90 and he said it was real common when you put koni's on an e90!!!! hope this helps
________
Outdoor Couple

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Actually you can buy the complete M-Sport Suspension kit for a 335i E90. The kit comes with shocks, bump stops, sway bars, springs and miscellaneous hardware. The part number for the complete kit is 33 50 0 412 929. You may be disappointed to know only the rear sway bar (14 mm vs. 13 mm) is the only unique part. The springs are the same (fit form & function) for all E90 & E92. The spring rates for the M-Sport are 3-4% lowers than the E90 335i Sport Suspension. I suspect they have tuned the shock slight stiffer and the bump stops are longer and stiffer and are different part number than the sports package.

No point in getting this system when it comes tuned to the RFT which BMW some what tired to improve but ultimately came short. No matter what this is great handling car.

The Bilstein PSS9 are certainly nice shocks but they have some what limited low speed dampening tuning capabilities since the low speed circuit is an open bleed orfice which give the shock its diverging curve. I did consider these shocks myself but they slam the car to much. They do have an option to use shorter internal stops which gives 10 mm or ride height back. The Bilstein HD shocks are a great buy since you can just order them to your specification but will use the sport suspension ride height. Optionally, the HD can even have a rebound adjuster. The PSS9 and HD are internally identical minus the adjusters. The base spring rates for the Bilstein PSS9 are Front: 400 lbs/in; Rear: 630 lbs/in. BMW does have stiffer and lighter spring for all 335i which range from 8% stiff or softer from the sport suspension base line which is used for the HD socks.

The other shocks on the market all seem good but I don’t have enough information. I do know that KW does offer a variant 3 with the same stock ride height which will be on the market soon and specific for the 335i E90 & E92 only. The part number is 35220048. I have yet to see a good dampening curve from this company or any documentation that is at all useful. KW seesm to have almost no diverging capabilities. The Koni FSD is by far the best technology to date even though it has been around for 10-15 years in other forms. They are my first pick but I am not willing to purchase them as they have not been validated for the 335i. Koni NA is very out spoken they may not be compliable with the 335i even though many vendors do say they work and are less than ethical about telling their customer this. The Koni FSD is high dependant on spring rate and vehicle mass and do not auto adjust the way most people think. In any case, I do believe they would be better than the stock shocks since many review have been favorable or at least stating they are a general noticeable improvement.

Tuning the suspension is a lot more involved than saying you need help. You need to ask why you want to change something and try to put it into words that can describe what you sense. However, you must first have basic understanding of suspensions system so read this link: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=26050

The link above is very good in content and describes in great detail and in simple terms what you need to know. The author also goes into some detail telling you what large wheel off sets and lowering will do for example (they are accumulative). You will quickly find that most people in this forum have simple made there car handle a lot worse and are none the wiser.

My 335i suspension changes are based on removing the RFT and I hate cars that roll.

1. Removing the RFT has many benefits and will increase grip in all situation but will cause the tire sidewall to roll more especially with McPherson struts and the feel tends to not as precise for turn into. To correct this problem I will be running Eibach sway bars front and rear so it will feel much closer to stock and much better roll resistance. Keep in mind that the non RFT just and far more compliant and grip better so we will not see any adverse effect of slightly bigger way bars. In fact, I see it as must have if you use non RFT.
2. The stock shocks are just way too soft in low mid speed compression. Low speed rebound in the rear is too soft for my taste. Undecided for a replacement system.
3. Run slight lower tire pressure in the rear with the LSD (2 PSI)

Have a specific tuning question let me know.

Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
My plan is to get the following:
Quaife LSD (adjustable), M-sport sway bars, Bilstein PSS9 adjustable coilovers, and strut braces. Already have light rims and non-rfts. It would be great to get advice from folks that are knowledgeable about suspension tuning. BMW has great engineers, so stock set-ups are great. I would be more than happy with the M-sport or an equivalent ZHP package, but unfortunately those are not available. Maybe I can get some of the techies at a BMWCCA meet to help me sort it out properly.

Last edited by Orb; 03-13-2007 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2007, 11:51 PM   #7
razormy
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

RFT

What is RFT?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Sparky66