Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 335 Coupe - Thoughts on 18" winter tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
GFarra
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335 in Space Grey

335 Coupe - Thoughts on 18" winter tires?

I'm geting ready to pull the trigger on a 335 Coupe. I'm torn on the sport package since I'm going to upgrade to the CSL Replica wheels for 3 seasons.

I've found a few 18" winter tires, but am wondering if I should nix the sport package and use the stock 17" in the winter.

I always thought more sidewall in winter was better

Thoughts Anyone?

TIA

George
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFarra View Post
I'm geting ready to pull the trigger on a 335 Coupe. I'm torn on the sport package since I'm going to upgrade to the CSL Replica wheels for 3 seasons.

I've found a few 18" winter tires, but am wondering if I should nix the sport package and use the stock 17" in the winter.

I always thought more sidewall in winter was better

Thoughts Anyone?

TIA

George
Narrower tires are better for the snow, and that usually correlates into larger aspect ratios. Larger wheels are normally wider too, so that correlates into wider tires fitting the rims properly.

If you really want the Sport package, I wouldn't let something like tires stop you. Yes, ideally you would run 17" 225/45 wheel/tires all around for the winter, then have a bigger set for the summer. You'll be sacrificing a little winter ability by running wider tires, plus you'll spend more on snow tires by buying 18's. 18" snow tires also will limit your selection quite a bit, since snow tires that big are uncommon. I'd still think with some good name brand winter tires on the 18's, you'd get by quite fine.

Maybe you could sell the stock 18's right away and come up with plenty of money for some nice 17's and winter tires??
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

I'd keep sport package. Sell stock wheels. Get your CSL Replicas and some 17" ASA JH3's or some other 17" wheels.
      02-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
dhmilosr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Lets be real here. I lived in NJ and we get just as much snow here in western Maryland. So it snows, you stay home a day and then the roads are clear again. Unless you're driving into the mountains on a daily basis, does anyone really need snow tires these days any more? Sport tires handle just fine for the occasional caught in an unforecasted snow squal event. I can testify to that personally. Sport package it is...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmilosr View Post
Lets be real here. I lived in NJ and we get just as much snow here in western Maryland. So it snows, you stay home a day and then the roads are clear again. Unless you're driving into the mountains on a daily basis, does anyone really need snow tires these days any more? Sport tires handle just fine for the occasional caught in an unforecasted snow squal event. I can testify to that personally. Sport package it is...
Summer tires do not handle any snow. Period. Nor do they handle temperatures below 40F because they become hard and lose pliability. To the OP, get the sport package and then get CSL reps for winter rims.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

i am just gonna try and find snow tires for the 18's i believe style 189 and buy a set of m6 wheels!!!!!!! i can drive a lil slower in the snow if need be!!!! i am not gonna be doing 120 anyways!!!!!
________
Handjob sex

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmilosr View Post

Umm... You obviously haven't driven in much snow. You can't go anywhere in summer performance tires in the snow. I haven't driven the summer tires yet.. I had my winter performance tires installed before I took delivery, but I watched my salesman try to move a 335i coupe with sport package up a slight incline with a 1/2" of snow on the ground. He couldn't get up a 30 foot hill with just a slight incline. I had to help push him. It's suicide to be driving around with those on in places that get snow. It doesn't have to be 10 inches... 1 inch is enough to make the car unsafe. Get some winter tires.