2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Product for minimizing swirls??

01-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

Question Product for minimizing swirls??

Hey guys, I just got done with a long hard day of polishing my Black F10 with a rotary buffer and removing all imperfections using a white kompressor pad, "Menzerna- Super Intensive polish" and "Menzerna- Super Finish" which yielded great results. Afterwards I washed the car with Dawn and applied a couple of coats of Zaino to get that deep shine.

Now, I am wondering if there is any product out there that can help me protect the finish and leave it swirl free for as long as possible. I know that even when taking all the necessary precautions to avoid swirls , eventually there will be swirls to be found. (especially on a black car)

Anybody know of a product that can help protect the finish against swirls?

Thank you for your time. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lui
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I read that Werkstat Acrylic Jett gives good protection. I've ordered some in readiness for my car's arrival.

But as you say, you're always going to get swirls no matter how many buckets you use or how soft your mitt/whatever is. I guess it's just a case of building up the finish to minimise the damage.

Alternatively, don't wash the car. Ever.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
HouseofPang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Pressure Washer then foam gun to loosen dirt + filtered water like CR Spotless Rinse or use blow dry will help alot. Basically no touch car wash. Unless you live in area where you get alot of harder soil or hard water spots, then you will need some scrubbing.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

There's a veteran poster over on autopia.org who claims to get none to almost no swirls. His name is accumulator. He has a detailed wash process posted.

I've read several coats of Z5 help. I have werkstatt sealant and don't like it. Everyone says it's spray on KSG, but I don't see it sheeting like ksg does.

Lastly, you can try glazes to cover the swirls.

Personally, I have a pressure washer and just ordered cr spotless. I have carbon black. Strangely enough, it's easy to marr but difficult to polish
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep

how about getting a bodyshop to throw an extra THICK layer of clear coat on top !!! LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Lui, Just get an Alpine White F10. I don't see any swirls
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep

That's going to be my next mod Kev.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
gurns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Dravit Grey

Swirl remover

I don't have a good answer for you regarding swirl prevention other than what some others have recommended. I rinse out my sheepskin mit about every other dunk in the soapy water and wipe the car surfaces in a forward and backward motion - no circular movements (that goes for washing and drying the car). I also thoroughly rinse out the mit when I am finished. About every third washing I throw the mit in the washing machine.

Some one below mentioned autotopia. I have used their products now for close to 10 years. Their web site is pretty good; you will quickly find their how to guides very helpful (written and tested procedures by car care fanatics!).

I have a brand new 550i and after a rain I had water spots on the clear coat. I used a too abrasive compound to try to get them off and as a result I put some light scratches in finish. Needless to say, I was pretty upset at myself.

I spoke to the people at autopia and they recommended I use the SFX-2 polish with the oribital buffer machine (e.g. Porter Cable). Fortunately I had both these items and when put to use on the affected areas I gooned - the finish came out like new!! I was very very happy with the results. I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:00 AM   #9
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurns View Post
I don't have a good answer for you regarding swirl prevention other than what some others have recommended. I rinse out my sheepskin mit about every other dunk in the soapy water and wipe the car surfaces in a forward and backward motion - no circular movements (that goes for washing and drying the car). I also thoroughly rinse out the mit when I am finished. About every third washing I throw the mit in the washing machine.

Some one below mentioned autotopia. I have used their products now for close to 10 years. Their web site is pretty good; you will quickly find their how to guides very helpful (written and tested procedures by car care fanatics!).

I have a brand new 550i and after a rain I had water spots on the clear coat. I used a too abrasive compound to try to get them off and as a result I put some light scratches in finish. Needless to say, I was pretty upset at myself.

I spoke to the people at autopia and they recommended I use the SFX-2 polish with the oribital buffer machine (e.g. Porter Cable). Fortunately I had both these items and when put to use on the affected areas I gooned - the finish came out like new!! I was very very happy with the results. I hope this helps.
Definitely a must to have an orbital buffer and some good polish on hand in order to maintain your clear coat in a "new car" finish.

I have the Flex 3401VRG and it works wonders. Although on a black car, it doesn't take long to see the swirl marks and scratches back on the finish, even after a whole weekend of prepping, polishing and waxing.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigimaster24 View Post
That's going to be my next mod Kev.
I told you so
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #11
KinG12sKy
First Lieutenant
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: Evoque, RR Vogue AutoBio, M4

I have been using the WOLFGANG swirl remover kit 3.0 on my AW F10 and its really great. they have a protecting sealant for after finish too. I mean its great and all that but you would definitely see swirls again after a month tts for sure. So the best for you is to live with it... hahahaha.. especially on a black car its gonna "shine" swirls in no time.. Get white like Lacaster said..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Nor the stone chips - like the swirls, they build up over time, but you have to look very close to see them.
White may well be a tad boring, but after owning a Le Mans blue E92, I'm very relieved that I chose white for my F10.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I read that Werkstat Acrylic Jett gives good protection.
I can vouch for that. My local detailers advised me to forgo the BMW dealer applied 'seal and protect' and just use Werkstat instead.
That was last September and after 10k miles and a Scottish winter the car still looks like new.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
Ridonculous
1 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Keeping a car swirl free means proper maintenance and washing using the correct technique (2 bucket method). Swirl marks are added when something touches a dirty/dusty paint surface and causes friction between the paint and whatever is touching it. This includes events like using a microfiber to dust a car, running your car through a machine car wash, using a dirty/contaminated towel on the paint, using a bad wash medium when doing a car wash, etc. So basically, if you're not OCD about maintaining and washing your car, you're eventually going to see swirl marks again over time.

A good product that provides the paint some protection from the elements as well as removes some swirl light marks at the same time is Klasse AIO. Best applied using a buffer, but it can be applied by hand. So if you wash your car properly, you can easily use Klasse AIO every 6 months to restore protection and remove light swirl marks.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Opticoat. Opticoat is a hard coating which goes on top of the clearcoat and is less susceptible to swirls and scratches than the clearcoat. Also if it does get scratched, you can polish it and re-do it without sacrificing any of your clearcoat layers.

I'm definitely getting this when my F10 ED arrives stateside.
Appreciate 0