E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > HELP! -- steering column pinch bolt

01-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

HELP! -- steering column pinch bolt

So I've decided to tackle my (very annoying) sticking steering wheel lock, also took a bunch of photos as I know there are quite a few people (especially overseas) with the problem and no alternatives.

I've come to actually remove the steering column out of the car, but there is a pinch bolt connecting the bottom of the steering column to the next 'lower joint assembly'. Basically, this pinch bolt is lined up exactly with the hole in the firewall and there is not nearly enough space to get a ratchet with the proper E8 torx socket on. Loosening the column allows for moving it to one side of the cutout, but doesn't help much. Does not slide in or out.

View from footwell, bolt in question facing camera

View from footwell, bolt in question facing camera

2 realoem diagrams showing the 2 parts that are connected (pinch bolt is in 2nd photo)

Last edited by yakev724; 05-26-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0