E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ok to replace rotor/pads on one side only?

03-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
jordancopeland
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Ok to replace rotor/pads on one side only?

I hit a major pothole with my right rear wheel and, long story short, I have to fix some stuff in the right rear of my car -- dented rim, etc., and the brake rotor is damaged as well.

GEICO will cover the repairs (minus deductible of course), but the service advisor is insisting that we have to do the rotors/pads on BOTH rear corners of the car in order to ensure proper braking and because the brake sensor (which is only on the right side) won't notify when the left side is worn since it'll be reading the right side only, leading to catastrophic results, etc.

GEICO adjuster says to service advisor: can you get me something in writing that documents that we have to do the brakes on both rear corners? Service advisor says that's just the way BMW does it. GEICO says without anything more than the SA's say-so they'll only pay for new rotor/pads on the damaged corner only, and they won't pay to replace the left side rotor/pads which still have wear left.

Is service advisor just trying to make a bigger sale here, or is this something I should really lobby GEICO to pay for new rotors/pads on both rear corners? Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

I would agree with the service writer. You shouldn't change pads and rotors only on one side. Do them both.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
sneaks
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Geico adjustor is not a mechanic so he is going to question any "unnecessary repairs"
he will cave but you gotta push him
NEVER do only one side of the brakes

if he must, replace the rotor on the right with the rotor on the left and replace the rotor on the left with new parts. when the sensor says you need new brakes, it will be a normal both sides brake job
or pay for one new rotor, which is about $110 (do they even sell them in singles????)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

to answer the question posed being the title of the thread

helll no.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Infamous
Secret Asian Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

keep pushing it up the management chain. that's just ghetto to replace a wearable safety component and create an imbalance with the left and right.

bug your assigned claim adjuster as well (not just the damage inspector and his management). you can threaten to give them zero's on their customer service surveys. call them as much as you can as well. then it'll be cheaper to just pay for your brakes than to sandbag and stall you.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

NEVER replace the rotors or pads on just ONE side of the car. The heat dissapation will be worse on the side with the worn rotor and will incur brake fade before the side that is replaced, causing the car to pull. imagine this at highway speeds trying to stop quickly due to traffic in front of you. I was a tech for a few years and replacing one side is something that you should never do. I wouldn't even do it to my own car if i was broke as f*ck.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I've never even heard of someone even attempting to do this. Make them fix it right.
      03-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Geico is crap. I got into an accident a few tears back and messed up my bumper and fender. The quote they gave the body shop said they would pay for used parts, not even new fenders. They wanted them to find parts in a junkyard. What a joke. That's why I switched ins companies.
They are just trying to save themselves money. Crooks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Ask your mechanic to print out the General Data Sheet for brakes from BMW's own repair instructions, commonly referred to as TIS in CenterNet.

It is very clearly spelled out and in BOLD that brake linings must always be replaced on both sides of any axle.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
jordancopeland
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Thank you -- that's very helpful about the TIS.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
tjcool
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

Related damages

Geico needs to pay for related damages. No ones ever replaced one side of the brake. Basic common sense. Just get a print out of the estimate. The adjustor from geico must be new.... it's been done before... I've seen a similar situation just like yours. But from AAA, they ended up paying for it. You just need to get it done and provide them with the final bill.
Appreciate 0