E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > would after market suspension affect the warranty?

03-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
kiddo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

would after market suspension affect the warranty?

Hi guys, im not familiar with the policy of warranty, so i got a quick question here. If i get a set of after market sport springs or a whole new set of after market suspension for my e92, is it gonna affect the warranty? i mean what kind of effects would be there? If it's not gna affect the warranty much, then what kind of after market suspension would you guys suggest? I know i have too many questions, but pls dun think im annoying. Thank you guys, really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

search for this, its been discussed like 3254215439318932031032 times already, but the short answer is YES and NO, if your shocks are damaged b/c of your aftermarket springs, they will not cover, but if your power seat breaks, they will cover

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
gary328xi
JetInsp
Rep
Drives: 07 328 XI & 335i

Check this out...

Generally speaking, a car manufacturer cannot legally void your warranty for adding non-stock equipment. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for the warranty claim. On the website, www.enjoythedrive.com, there is an entire section devoted to the issue of warranty. There is a wealth of information there that can help you get your warranty issues resolved. Besides the federal laws discussed there, your state may grant you other rights under state law.

Also check out the SEMA website at www.semasan.com and "A Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law" on the Federal Trade Commission's website for more information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Federal Warranty Laws

1. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Adham
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

we really have to start using our heads. think about it ... if you put a non-bmw certified part on a bmw and it causes some sort of failure, bmw is not going to pay out of their pocket to fix it. now the problem here is that you will get some dick service dept managers who will attempt to void your warranty because you installed something that has nothing to do with the part in question. now, there is federal protection against this, but i think it can still happen (there is so much grey area).