E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > can we code new CA keys? TPMS

03-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
blueaudi18
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 08' 335i , mb sl500

can we code new CA keys? TPMS

can this thing be used to programs new keys?

Or TMPS Modules?

POSTED WITH APOLOGIES FOR POOR SPELLING, GRAMMAR AND SENTENCE STRUCTURE
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Chard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Same question...can we code TPMS module? Wondering if we can disable.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueaudi18 View Post
can this thing be used to programs new keys?

Or TMPS Modules?
New keys? No. Each CAS unit has 10 keys made for it. You get two when you get the car. BMW has the other 8 (actually they have the transponders they put them into keys when you order them from the dealer). When all the keys are used up, it's time for another CAS.

There are tools you can use to make keys transponders using data in the CAS but most require you to desolder the EEPROM from the CAS unit and put it in a special reader.

Last edited by Dracon; 03-30-2011 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: iPhone butchered my post!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
blueaudi18
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok.. 1 down...

How about tpms module... I know u can kind of turn off the tpms with coding But I'm wondering can I program the module. I damaged one of the tpms module in the wheel well and bought a replacement but I'm still getting an error. After searching, I guess the modules needs to be programed also. Can we do that at home or is that a dealer thing.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueaudi18 View Post
Ok.. 1 down...

How about tpms module... I know u can kind of turn off the tpms with coding But I'm wondering can I program the module. I damaged one of the tpms module in the wheel well and bought a replacement but I'm still getting an error. After searching, I guess the modules needs to be programed also. Can we do that at home or is that a dealer thing.
I don't have TPMS on my car, only FTM. However, I don't think adding a new TPMS antenna is technically a coding feature, it's probably a more service function since you are replacing a sensor in the TPMS system and not the TPMS module.

I'd have to do some digging around but I'm pretty sure you would register the replacement using DIS, or possibly INPA. Have you tried resetting the TPMS system using the iDrive screen, or the BC stalk if you don't have iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
blueaudi18
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
I don't have TPMS on my car, only FTM. However, I don't think adding a new TPMS antenna is technically a coding feature, it's probably a more service function since you are replacing a sensor in the TPMS system and not the TPMS module.

I'd have to do some digging around but I'm pretty sure you would register the replacement using DIS, or possibly INPA. Have you tried resetting the TPMS system using the iDrive screen, or the BC stalk if you don't have iDrive?
I have tried resetting with I drive like a million time... before I would just get an error... but now when I turn on the car it actually say tpms inactive.

What u said about register the module sound exactly like what I need. So now I just to learn how to use dis. How would one register a module?

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
It'll most likely be a service function of the RDC module in your car. When you are in DIS select the module from the list after it does the quick test and click on the Service Functions button. You should be able to figure it out from there, I haven't done it before but I'm sure the function should be in there somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
jaymd123
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
New keys? No. Each CAS unit has 10 keys made for it. You get two when you get the car. BMW has the other 8 (actually they have the transponders they put them into keys when you order them from the dealer). When all the keys are used up, it's time for another CAS.

There are tools you can use to make keys transponders using data in the CAS but most require you to desolder the EEPROM from the CAS unit and put it in a special reader.
What about coding one of those 8 keys that were made for the car. I was told by the dealership that if I ordered a new key it would need to be programmed and all other keys in use would need to be present as well for programming.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymd123 View Post
What about coding one of those 8 keys that were made for the car. I was told by the dealership that if I ordered a new key it would need to be programmed and all other keys in use would need to be present as well for programming.
It may need to be activated/programmed in the CAS if you have Comfort Access. But normally, they are all activated in the CAS by default and you have to disable the lost key and you can change the personal profile assignment from key to key. But it's not a coding feature, it's a service feature in DIS or in ISTA/D.

NCS can't control key functions in the E90 chassis', it's all done via the diagnostic software (such as DIS or ISTA/D, not sure if INPA can handle it).
Appreciate 0